RTX 2070 with I5 4690?

Remth2

Hi all,

May a stupid question, but what do you guys think about combining a RTX 2070 with a i5 4690? I know bottleneck depends on what game but games i like to play are smite, for honor, gta V, and maybe in the future VR games. Cause i think its really nice since i love to ppay simulators.

Im planning to upgrade my pc but do i really need to upgrade my cpu before buying a 2070 for example? Or is it better to go with a gtx 1070ti? The price difference between them are not that huge to behonest so thats why i ask :)

hope you guys can help me out and give opinions or facts :D

Best regards,

Remth2

if you are upgrading the CPU fairly soon i wouldnt mind the pairing but depends on the resolution you play at too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

if you are upgrading the CPU fairly soon i wouldnt mind the pairing but depends on the resolution you play at too

totally agrere with this. If you want to play at 4k you will be totally fine with that CPU but probably not so much at 1440p or even 1080p.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

If it was the k variant, a quick and dirty oc to 4.6 ghz would have been enough. But if you can just upgrade to the r5 2600 or 1600 if youre ok with used parts.

1 hour ago, GER_T4IGA said:

totally agrere with this. If you want to play at 4k you will be totally fine with that CPU but probably not so much at 1440p or even 1080p.

1440 would be fine as well. 

question is why a 4690? its 5 years old now. that would make motherboards hard to find that arent used, uses EOL ram and is all just old.

grab a ryzen 5, fast ddr4 and you are set to go!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

8 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

question is why a 4690? its 5 years old now. that would make motherboards hard to find that arent used, uses EOL ram and is all just old.

grab a ryzen 5, fast ddr4 and you are set to go!

Probably already own 4690 and want GPU upgrade..? ?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 hours ago, Remth2 said:

Hi all,

May a stupid question, but what do you guys think about combining a RTX 2070 with a i5 4690? I know bottleneck depends on what game but games i like to play are smite, for honor, gta V, and maybe in the future VR games. Cause i think its really nice since i love to ppay simulators.

Im planning to upgrade my pc but do i really need to upgrade my cpu before buying a 2070 for example? Or is it better to go with a gtx 1070ti? The price difference between them are not that huge to behonest so thats why i ask :)

hope you guys can help me out and give opinions or facts :D

Best regards,

Remth2

Playing with a 4790k and a 1070 , switched to a 8600k , the only thing that pised me was doing anything that was not the game, watching youtube at 1080p gave me a bit of stuttering but with the game only + teamspeak or so 100% working , I've also paired a 2500k with a rx480 and the same, I've noticed that the main issue was playing videos (I think its because older cpu's use more resources for videos and so...) But you can hold 1 year till you buy a cpu and ram if you want, I recomend to take the same step as I've done , Take a PSU with that 2070 , a good one, (I have one for 140€ , evga 650 p2, 10 years warranty, it will last me more that warranty than any component alive xDD ), and more important , what motherboard do you have? If its a crappy one I woudnt put a new 2070 on a h91-h81 xD It doesnt  worth the risk.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Thanks for the quick responce guys!

I forgot indeed to tell my current specs..
Processor: Intel I5 4690
Videocard: GTX 970 msi 4 gb gaming
RAM: 16gb kingston 2133mhz
Motherboard: Gigabyte D3H z97

PSU: Corsair RM Series RM850

Case: Fractal design Define R5

Monitor:  Benq xl2720z (144hz and 1ms but you'll probably know :P ) 

If i buy a rayzen cpu, than i have to switch motherboard in my situation. I guess everybody thought i was buying a complete new computer, but im upgrading it. Sorry my fault, i don't have that much experience with forums anyway, but i thankyou guys for helping me out!
As i play at a 1080p and maybe a future VR i can guess that a 1070 ti wil be the best way to go?

I personally would get the RTX 2070 as its around 18% faster than a 1070Ti and is not that much more expensive. Additionally, that I5 is gonna be rough. If you play Far Cry 5 or Assassins Creed games, they are hard on modern CPUs. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

7 hours ago, SSJGodemis said:

I personally would get the RTX 2070 as its around 18% faster than a 1070Ti and is not that much more expensive. Additionally, that I5 is gonna be rough. If you play Far Cry 5 or Assassins Creed games, they are hard on modern CPUs. 

The price and speed difference is my main reason..  Ill would spend a bit more but if you look at the differencen they are pretty big in comparison for the price

Anyone know a good cpu for the rtx 2070?

13 hours ago, SSJGodemis said:

Far cry 5 runs perfectly fine on my 2500k.

2 hours ago, TheSponyX said:

Far cry 5 runs perfectly fine on my 2500k.

yeah sure...it's running ''fine'' as to YOUR standard...because i use a 4.3ghz 4770K which is a much better CPU with twice the cache, twice the tread, better IPC, higher clockspeed and yet i find that Far Cry 5 isn't running quite ''fine'' on my PC.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah sure...it's running ''fine'' as to YOUR standard...because i use a 4.3ghz 4770K which is a much better CPU with twice the cache, twice the tread, better IPC, higher clockspeed and yet i find that Far Cry 5 isn't running quite ''fine'' on my PC.

Its a 6 vs 8 mb cache difference, not double, and I have my 2500k clocked at 4.8 ghz. It never dips bellow 50 fps. Also nice joke about intel increasing the ipc in a significant way over sandy bridge.

31 minutes ago, TheSponyX said:

Its a 6 vs 8 mb cache difference, not double, and I have my 2500k clocked at 4.8 ghz. It never dips bellow 50 fps. Also nice joke about intel increasing the ipc in a significant way over sandy bridge.

50fps at what resolution and settings. Also what GPU? Saying it works great on your system is fine but we have no clue what your system is. 

Your I5 is definitely a bottleneck in Far Cry 5 and Assassins Creed Origins at 1080p and 1440p. They are CPU demanding titles. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

38 minutes ago, TheSponyX said:

Sandy to Haswell is pretty significant. And "never dips below 50" is a pretty terrible metric. That's not great FPS, and at what settings?

1 hour ago, TheSponyX said:

Well it never dips bellow 80fps on my machine but still since it's cpu bound it still feels choppy and stuttering and it run like crap...you probably just don't notice it as much as I do.

Okay well! I saw some videos about people with the I5 4690 and rtx 2070. They had the stutter and fps drops. So i think conclusion is there. Need an proper CPU for it! So im gonna save the money or buy a rtx 2070 and than later buy a CPU.

You are just a bunch of rich people who cry if their game gets once in a 3 hour gameplay session a drop in fps to 100 fps on their 144hz monitor. Oh and never dipps bellow 50 means it stays at 60 99% of the time, and goes to 50 when 15 things explode at once. 1080p maxed out settings with an r9 290 1050/1500 oc, because you were curious.

12 hours ago, TheSponyX said:

You are just a bunch of rich people who cry if their game gets once in a 3 hour gameplay session a drop in fps to 100 fps on their 144hz monitor. Oh and never dipps bellow 50 means it stays at 60 99% of the time, and goes to 50 when 15 things explode at once. 1080p maxed out settings with an r9 290 1050/1500 oc, because you were curious.

I can imagine your feelings and your way of thinking! Anyways, relaxe a bit, we all got different priorities! The special border/point is there,where the fun stops. Aslong if you have fun , everything is fine. For person 1 is 60 enough with dips to 50, the other wants 144hz because of his expensive screen. It doesn't matter aslong as you have fun! Thanks for helping me out :)