Nintendo Switch 2018

Hello guys.So since its Christmas i decided to buy a Nintendo Switch.My only concern is that 4-5 months ago i heard that Nintendo will release a new and better "Nintendo Switch" in 2019.What do you think? Should i buy the Nintendo Switch now or wait until Nintendo announces the "new Switch". I am leaning towards the first option which is to buy the Nintendo Switch now because there are a lot of games i wanna play. For example: Super Smash bros,Mario Kart 8,Mario Odyssey,Pokemon Lets Go Eevee/Pikachu etc.

P.S Sorry for bad English i am from Greece.

The new one will also be more expensive, so keep that in mind.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

The new one will also be more expensive, so keep that in mind.

Yeah you are right,but is it going to be that big of an upgrade in terms of hardware?

2 minutes ago, Rapid1999 said:

Yeah you are right,but is it going to be that big of an upgrade in terms of hardware?

No one will know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a good spec bump. But considering it already runs everything released on it just fine there's not really a point unless the new one happens to have a big enough spec bump that it runs at 60fps or something and you just can't live with 30fps which has been the norm on consoles and feels fine on switch (I've played BOTW on a friend's and it's great, feels smooth af most of the time). The built in 720p screen is plenty sharp, and snapping to 1080p on an external display is awesome and smooth in my little bit of experience with it. I don't really see what they could add to a 2nd gen that's so great you have to upgrade. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

10 hours ago, Rapid1999 said:

Hello guys.So since its Christmas i decided to buy a Nintendo Switch.

Me too!

If nothing goes wrong, I'm going to get one today, if it goes wrong at the end of the Week or so.

10 hours ago, Rapid1999 said:

My only concern is that 4-5 months ago i heard that Nintendo will release a new and better "Nintendo Switch" in 2019.What do you think? Should i buy the Nintendo Switch now or wait until Nintendo announces the "new Switch". I am leaning towards the first option which is to buy the Nintendo Switch now because there are a lot of games i wanna play. For example: Super Smash bros,Mario Kart 8,Mario Odyssey,Pokemon Lets Go Eevee/Pikachu etc.

I'd get it now and when the new one comes that gives some advantage, I'd think about getting it then.

Right now I plan to get it with Super Mario Odysey from a Local Store (hope they still have that Bundle).

And Fire Emblem Warriors.

After that, no idea...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I think you'll be fine.  If they do do a revision I doubt it will be a big spec bump the Switch is selling like hotcakes now and they don't want to cannibalize that market by releasing a much more beefier system and putting exclusive games on it.  They only did this with the 3ds and new 3ds after the 3ds was out for many years and the Switch has had barely 2 years.

Bottom Line:

Yes they will probably release a "better" switch in 2019 but it will not be so much better that they will make new games exclusive to the "new" switch.

I'd say just get it now. The Switch Pro stuff is still just a rumor. I think there probably will be one eventually just like there was for the 3DS, but it's just a guess and even if so, who knows when it's coming? Aside from SNES Virtual Console, there was like one good New 3DS game that wouldn't play on regular 3DS (Xenoblade Chronicles). So I wouldn't be worried about not being able to play new games on your original Switch. And if the Pro looks amazing when it launches just sell your original Switch. There will still be plenty of demand for it most likely unless you took terrible care of it.

I do think a Switch Pro might not be massively more expensive than the regular Switch considering it'll probably be on 7nm instead of 28nm lithography. It wouldn't even surprise me to see the Switch Pro as say a $350 system and then the regular Switch (shrunk to 7nm lithography) sold as a portable system for say $200 as just the tablet plus joycons but without a dock.

5 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I do think a Switch Pro might not be massively more expensive than the regular Switch considering it'll probably be on 7nm instead of 28nm lithography.

I disagree.

And it might be Switch XL like DS, 3DS and co.

With having the Switch a copuple of hours and played a bit with it, I find the screen to be rather small.

So a 10" Version or so might be a nice thing to have...

If there is a "Switch Pro", It will be the same as now, to not change accessories, and it will feature 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB, and a Tegra X2 chip instead of the X1 which will probably be downclocked docked and undocked, to give you the a balance of performance improvement and increase battery life. As for Storage, I expect 64GB.. so you would still need to get a 128GB microSD card. Kick stand might be improved. I don't expect anything else to be honest. Same dock, same display.. maybe a bit larger but still 720p with a plastic front glass.

So far there is no additional leaks since the last (a while back) "Switch Pro" news.

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I disagree.

And it might be Switch XL like DS, 3DS and co.

With having the Switch a copuple of hours and played a bit with it, I find the screen to be rather small.

So a 10" Version or so might be a nice thing to have...

I don't see it myself. The Switch's screen is already pretty large for a portable gaming system. When you throw joycons in that thing would be too big for a lot of people to hold comfortably with a 10 inch screen vs the current 6.2 inch one.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If there is a "Switch Pro", It will be the same as now, to not change accessories, and it will feature 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB, and a Tegra X2 chip instead of the X1 which will probably be downclocked docked and undocked, to give you the a balance of performance improvement and increase battery life. As for Storage, I expect 64GB.. so you would still need to get a 128GB microSD card. Kick stand might be improved. I don't expect anything else to be honest. Same dock, same display.. maybe a bit larger but still 720p with a plastic front glass.

So far there is no additional leaks since the last (a while back) "Switch Pro" news.

You don't think we'll see something to hit that $150 to $200 price point that the New 2DS/3DS XL currently hold? It would seem like the current Switch shrunk from 28nm to 7nm could be really profitable at that price, especially if sold without the dock. Then Nintendo could have a $10 to $15 charger sold separately like they did with the New 3DS XL.

7 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't see it myself. The Switch's screen is already pretty large for a portable gaming system. When you throw joycons in that thing would be too big for a lot of people to hold comfortably with a 10 inch screen vs the current 6.2 inch one.

Well, about the Size we could argue, maybe they do a 10" one, maybe I'm wrong and it only will be an 8" one.

The 3DS and 3DS XL weren't soo much different either. we're talking aobut a 3,53" one vs. 4,88" for the top one and 3,02" vs. 4.18".

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You don't think we'll see something to hit that $150 to $200 price point that the New 2DS/3DS XL currently hold?

I highly doubt it. And the 3DS series is really weak hardware, even at release... Nvidia chips are also pricey. That was one of the reasons why Nintendo sent with this unknown, new, chip manufacture instead of Nvidia.

It would seem like the current Switch shrunk from 28nm to 7nm could be really profitable at that price, especially if sold without the dock.

Nha. Die shrink don't always translate to price drop, and I doubt they'll pick 7nm. They'll pick the Tegra X2 going at 16nm.

The dock is the point of the Switch. It is not a portable system, it is this home console that can go on the go, in Nintendo eyes. Hence why the 3DS is still going.

Then Nintendo could have a $10 to $15 charger sold separately like they did with the New 3DS XL.

No they won't. Switch requires a lot of power, and very few people have a USB Type-C charger. My Lumia 930 XL USB 3.0 Type-C charger doesn't work on the Switch. It doesn't deliver enough Amps and voltage for it. I can trickle charge it if the console is turned off (not sleeping). So, I don't think that is not an option.

Also remember that Nintendo is not interested in selling a premium/expensive device, nor selling a console at cost, especially not a loss.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I highly doubt it. And the 3DS series is really weak hardware, even at release... Nvidia chips are also pricey. That was one of the reasons why Nintendo sent with this unknown, new, chip manufacture instead of Nvidia.

Nha. Die shrink don't always translate to price drop, and I doubt they'll pick 7nm. They'll pick the Tegra X2 going at 16nm.

The dock is the point of the Switch. It is not a portable system, it is this home console that can go on the go, in Nintendo eyes. Hence why the 3DS is still going.

No they won't. Switch requires a lot of power, and very few people have a USB Type-C charger. My Lumia 930 XL USB 3.0 Type-C charger doesn't work on the Switch. It doesn't deliver enough Amps and voltage for it. I can trickle charge it if the console is turned off (not sleeping). So, I don't think that is not an option.

Also remember that Nintendo is not interested in selling a premium/expensive device, nor selling a console at cost, especially not a loss.

What do you anticipate Nintendo's plans are going to be with the 3DS demographic then? 3DS game development is finally starting to wind way down so keeping that system alive doesn't seem like anything in their plans. Are they just going to concede that market to mobile?

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What do you anticipate Nintendo's plans are going to be with the 3DS demographic then? 3DS game development is finally starting to wind way down so keeping that system alive doesn't seem like anything in their plans. Are they just going to concede that market to mobile?

With Nintendo, you never know. They may release a new console. I mean the Switch is not this low cost, pocketable device great for really young kids.

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You don't think we'll see something to hit that $150 to $200 price point that the New 2DS/3DS XL currently hold?

I don't think the WiiU ever had a price drop since the 2013 one. So I don't expect Nintendo to price drop the Switch until they release a new model/console. At which point, it may be just stores trying to get rid of it.

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It would seem like the current Switch shrunk from 28nm to 7nm could be really profitable at that price, especially if sold without the dock.

Considering the development costs to 7nm have been pretty pricey, prompting even Qualcomm and MediaTek to delay their offerings, I doubt Nintendo's remotely interested in going 7nm. If anything, they may go with something like 22nm, 14nm, or one of their half-nodes.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't think the WiiU ever had a price drop since the 2013 one. So I don't expect Nintendo to price drop the Switch until they release a new model/console. At which point, it may be just stores trying to get rid of it.

They had 3DS for their budget market.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Can confirm...

Seen a WiiU for 369€ in a local store back in July or August 2017, wich was the reason I got a PS4 PRO -> was only 30€ more.

And I'm really glad to not have gotten the WiiU.

While it is a nice console, you don't have many games (well, essentially New Super Mario Bros, Mario 3D, Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles, wich I got with the WiiU as well as new Super Mario and a couple of other games that I forgot to mention for various reasons, some because they are awfully censored so that it rapes the sense out of the story)

as long as they dont do what they did with the "new" 3ds where it has specific games that only ran on the "new" ones. then i dont see much point in waiting for the refresh. i have the regular switch and depending on what the new one is, i might not even upgrade. the one thing that would make me get one when it's released is bigger screen and much better battery life. but i dont see battery life being improved that much

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

22 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I've taken a look at my Switch again and there's an Inch or two space on each side, so it should be possible to put a ~8" Screen inside.

And another inch or two et voila you got yourself a 10". Its not that much bigger.

Though I'm totally against increasing the resolution...

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

as long as they dont do what they did with the "new" 3ds where it has specific games that only ran on the "new" ones. then i dont see much point in waiting for the refresh. i have the regular switch and depending on what the new one is, i might not even upgrade. the one thing that would make me get one when it's released is bigger screen and much better battery life. but i dont see battery life being improved that much

there was an addon for the "old" 3DS so that you could run those games on that. Though it might be hard to get but  it existed...
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod10517

THAT is essentially the Difference between the 3DS and New 3DS -> 2nd Analogue Stick.

On 12/13/2018 at 9:58 AM, Stefan Payne said:

I've taken a look at my Switch again and there's an Inch or two space on each side, so it should be possible to put a ~8" Screen inside.

And another inch or two et voila you got yourself a 10". Its not that much bigger.

there was an addon for the "old" 3DS so that you could run those games on that. Though it might be hard to get but  it existed...
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod10517

THAT is essentially the Difference between the 3DS and New 3DS -> 2nd Analogue Stick.

Keep in mind that the small screen plays a big role in giving you the illusion of superior graphics. That is like if (not a be exact comparison, but want to highlight the idea), a 4K screen on a 23inch format. You can disable a lot of visuals like AA, reduce draw distances, reduce textures resolutions, reduce polygon count, while still looking great, and very hard to notice against 1080p 23inch screen. Remember that the Switch already downclocks the GPU by half, itself when undocked, and only has 3h battery life with a battery larger than most phones (4,310 mAh).

So larger the screen, the worst the visuals will look (assuming performance is not increased)

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

The New 3DS had a much stronger cpu than the original 3DS, which is why Xenoblade Chronicles was able to be ported to it but not the original 3DS. Check this video showing the difference in performance on Hyrule Warriors on New 3DS vs 3DS.

The original 3DS also couldn't handle SNES emulation, so the SNES Virtual Console was only released for the New 3DS.

Also the New 3DS added a face tracking camera to adjust the 3D effect so it wouldn't go out of focus so easily like it does on the regular 3DS. It's an enormous change between the two systems.

55 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The original 3DS also couldn't handle SNES emulation, so the SNES Virtual Console was only released for the New 3DS.

Which I call shenanigans on because we've had competent SNES emulation on OG Pentium grade hardware and the processor in the 3DS is certainly more powerful than that. If anything I think this is just Nintendo gating features to push the new console.

12 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Which I call shenanigans on because we've had competent SNES emulation on OG Pentium grade hardware and the processor in the 3DS is certainly more powerful than that. If anything I think this is just Nintendo gating features to push the new console.

I read a lot of people saying the Retroarch SNES emulation could be very bad in some games on the original 3DS in one of reddit's 3DS subs. I used to play SNES games on SNES9x using my AMD K6 cpu in the late 90s and my Athlon XP 1900+ in the early 2000s too but I don't know that it would be considered decent emulation by today's standards. For instance when I go back and look at youtube videos of Nesticle I can't believe how much I used to enjoy that emulator when it's so far off what NES emulation looks like now.

On 12/12/2018 at 1:27 PM, GoodBytes said:

I found my Galaxy S8+ charger works well (not sure if I should be doing that though just tested once).  I also know Nyko makes a seperate USB C charger specifically for it which works fine.