How can I waste my bandwidth?

Jephrey

So Verizon FiOS is my area is great. It's super fast and awesome. But every once in a while, Verizon will decide they want to throttle my internet, YouTube and various other Google services. Usually, I just use a free YouTube proxy online, but it is very annoying to not be able to use the actual site. So in order to spite them, I usually open Twitch and stream 5 or 6 streams at once. However, streams will start up and end and I'm looking for a way to spite Verizon a little bit more but occupying more bandwidth when I'm not at my computer. Do you guys know of any programs that will do this? Maybe some legal, popular torrents I could seed? No, I am not going to use my internet to participate in DDoS attacks so please don't suggest that. I also don't need a lecture saying this is bad because not having each customer using the internet all the time helps keep the prices down and affordable for everyone. ISPs must learn to change sooner or later as cloud streaming services become more abundant since at least where I live, it could be better. Plus, telecoms and other communications companies make insane profit margins.  :D

like you said, i think that very popular torrents are the bets. but try to torrent legal stuff because if you seed to much you might get someone knocking your door at some stage.

I'm not gonna lecture you, but I still think this is highly immature. 

By opening 5 or 6 Twitch streams and looking for ways to spite Verizon, you're doing nothing except making yourself feel good and just ruining it for everyone else as well. If you want to get something done about it, contact Verizon and outline that you don't want your internet to throttle or write a letter to them and hope you get a response. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Wasting your bandwith to "lecture" your ISP isn't going to make a difference.

It's like an ant vs a shoe. They won't even notice it.

that is true but i think that he is taking a protester atitude

While I agree with your opinion that ISPs are ridiculously anticonsumer, and are making money hand over fist while doing nothing to improve infrastructure in this country, this isn't even a drop in the bucket to them. This is more like a drop in the ocean. The only way you're going to get something like this to stop is through sustained protest over a long period of time, and there's no guarantee they'll listen. You want to know what will happen if people do this? Depending on their plan, their ISP will just bill them even more for the data usage, and they'll be right to. Doesn't seem like such a brilliant idea now, does it? I hate Verizon, Comcast, AT&T (especially AT&T), and so on, but calling your form of protest "immature" would imply that it is affecting your target. This would be like if I boycotted Google for a day.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Download all your games from the Steam library (if you haven't already :P)

Seed torrents

Put a video on 1080p and set it to autoreplay using some browser plugins, download all the musics!

oh god the amount of torrents you could download that are completely legal.

their ISP will just bill them even more for the data usage, and they'll be right to.

In the civilized world there's a thing called unlimited data usage. I have a 8/1 line and my usage is unlimited, the only plan that's limited on my ISP is the lowest one, like 2/0.5 or so. 

Wasting your bandwith to "lecture" your ISP isn't going to make a difference.

It's like an ant vs a shoe. They won't even notice it.

Yeah but it fills an empty hole inside of me  :D  

like you said, i think that very popular torrents are the bets. but try to torrent legal stuff because if you seed to much you might get someone knocking your door at some stage.

Yeah. That's why I asked if you guys knew of any popular, legal torrents I could help seed. Bandwidth would also go to a good cause.

By opening 5 or 6 Twitch streams and looking for ways to spite Verizon, you're doing nothing except making yourself feel good and just ruining it for everyone else as well. If you want to get something done about it, contact Verizon and outline that you don't want your internet to throttle or write a letter to them and hope you get a response. 

I'm just saying that ISPs are notoriously anti-consumer and they make huge profit margins. Getting throttled also isn't fun since I pay extra for my speed.

that is true but i think that he is taking a protester atitude

Yep  :)

While I agree with your opinion that ISPs are ridiculously anticonsumer, and are making money hand over fist while doing nothing to improve infrastructure in this country, this isn't even a drop in the bucket to them. This is more like a drop in the ocean. The only way you're going to get something like this to stop is through sustained protest over a long period of time, and there's no guarantee they'll listen. You want to know what will happen if people do this? Depending on their plan, their ISP will just bill them even more for the data usage, and they'll be right to. Doesn't seem like such a brilliant idea now, does it? I hate Verizon, Comcast, AT&T (especially AT&T), and so on, but calling your form of protest "immature" would imply that it is affecting your target. This would be like if I boycotted Google for a day.

Yeah. I realize that, which is by the way, another reason why I don't need to be lectured  :D . I don't actually expect to cause change. I just sort of do it for the heck of it.

I'm just saying that ISPs are notoriously anti-consumer and they make huge profit margins. Getting throttled also isn't fun since I pay extra for my speed.

Anti-you doesn't mean anti-consumer, however. 

Yeah. I realize that, which is by the way, another reason why I don't need to be lectured  :D . I don't actually expect to cause change. I just sort of do it for the heck of it.

Please use your time doing something better, like writing a letter to your ISP or contacting their support team or looking at their terms and conditions to say if they say anything about throttling. If they don't maybe you could write a letter to your telecommunications ombudsman or watchdog explaining your case. This will actually help your cause. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

In the civilized world there's a thing called unlimited data usage. I have a 8/1 line and my usage is unlimited, the only plan that's limited on my ISP is the lowest one, like 2/0.5 or so. 

I could sarcastically or humorously poke fun at the fact that you implied America is civilized, but not everyone has unlimited plans. Sorry to say. Some people are actually still using dial-up, as a matter of fact. Perhaps you should go visit the mid-western states and tell me that their internet is so amazing. Thank you for backing up your argument with such extensive anecdotal evidence.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Not really. He literally effects NOTHING. No ones negatively or positively effected by this except his EGO by thinking he is spiting a company who could have him killed and no one would ever be caught. #surprising ending;)

But seriously though just seed stuff, though you won't do anything to them. That's not how it works. You're just choking your own bandwidth while you're on it by doing that.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but it fills an empty hole inside of me  :D  

Yeah. That's why I asked if you guys knew of any popular, legal torrents I could help seed. Bandwidth would also go to a good cause.

Yep  :)

well you could seed linus' graphics quality comparison videos about the pc vs console theme. you could download and seed steam OS... free to play online games that have torrent download options... i can't remember more

Seed as many Linux torrents as you can

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Anti-you doesn't mean anti-consumer, however. 

Please use your time doing something better, like writing a letter to your ISP or contacting their support team or looking at their terms and conditions to say if they say anything about throttling. If they don't maybe you could write a letter to your telecommunications ombudsman or watchdog explaining your case. This will actually help your cause. 

Anti-consumer is what they are. Honestly, all things aside, most (not all) ISPs are terrible. I mean even Linus has issues with them. I have no problem doing better things with my time. I even asked if anyone had recommendations for popular, legal torrents that I could seed. That is donating bandwidth to give other people better experiences. And funny story about the calling my ISP. I did. Three times. They have never admitted once that they were throttling me and they usually tell me to install a browser add on that should speed up my internet but it only works on Firefox and IE (I'm a Chrome user).

I could sarcastically or humorously poke fun at the fact that you implied America is civilized, but not everyone has unlimited plans. Sorry to say. Some people are actually still using dial-up, as a matter of fact. Perhaps you should go visit the mid-western states and tell me that their internet is so amazing. Thank you for backing up your argument with such extensive anecdotal evidence.

My bandwidth is unlimited so its not really an issue for me. It is however, an issue for many people and ISPs just aren't willing to improve.

just put in mind that the fact of letting your pc on even if it's only downloading things is gonna add up to the electricity bill.

Best way to waste your bandwith? Don't use the internet at all, all the bandwith wasted.

:D

Not really. He literally effects NOTHING. No ones negatively or positively effected by this except his EGO by thinking he is spiting a company who could have him killed and no one would ever be caught. #surprising ending;)

But seriously though just seed stuff, though you won't do anything to them. That's not how it works. You're just choking your own bandwidth while you're on it by doing that.

I thought I already made it apparent that I didn't expect to cause any substantial change. I've also mentioned I do this when I'm not using my internet and only after periods of time where Verizon has throttled me.

My bandwidth is unlimited so its not really an issue for me. It is however, an issue for many people and ISPs just aren't willing to improve.

So you're basically just going "neener neener neener" to Verizon.

On 1/10/2014 at 6:22 PM, TyagoDani said:

well you could seed linus' graphics quality comparison videos about the pc vs console theme. you could download and seed steam OS... free to play online games that have torrent download options... i can't remember more

Those are actually great ideas!

On 1/10/2014 at 6:26 PM, Dragonzeanse said:

So you're basically just going "neener neener neener" to Verizon.

Ehh. Not really. Verizon doesn't listen to me anyways. It's more of like a novelty.

On 1/10/2014 at 6:25 PM, TyagoDani said:

just put in mind that the fact of letting your pc on even if it's only downloading things is gonna add up to the electricity bill.

Yeah. That is a good point to bring up. 

On 1/10/2014 at 6:05 PM, Dragonzeanse said:

Why do you hate AT&T? I want to know if we share the same hate. Mine is their advertised 1.5MB/s, when you get 1.5Mb/s. And my grandma's 2GB (or 20GB, can't remember) cap, with phone (no free long distance) and basic Dish.

On 1/10/2014 at 6:28 PM, Jephrey said:

Yeah. That is a good point to bring up. 

Unless you have Vengeance. Heh heh heh.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why do you hate AT&T? I want to know if we share the same hate. Mine is their advertised 1.5MB/s, when you get 1.5Mb/s. And my grandma's 2GB (or 20GB, can't remember) cap, with phone (no free long distance) and basic Dish.

I hate them for pretty much the same reasons everyone else does. Money-grubbing company with a CEO who has wet dreams of securing a monopoly, that constantly shits on its consumers and exploits them and their wallets. I won't even bother explaining why I hate them because I share the same criticisms as almost anyone under the sun. Yes, I know other companies can be just as anti-consumer and anti-competitive as AT&T, and they earn my scorn as well, but AT&T is by-far the worst offender.

I hate them for pretty much the same reasons everyone else does. Money-grubbing company with a CEO who has wet dreams of securing a monopoly, that constantly shits on its consumers and exploits them and their wallets. I won't even bother explaining why I hate them because I share the same criticisms as almost anyone under the sun. Yes, I know other companies can be just as anti-consumer and anti-competitive as AT&T, and they earn my scorn as well, but AT&T is by-far the worst offender.

Yep. However, more change than what I can cause by my small little "protest", the tech industry in general is shifting over towards cloud services and other bandwidth heavy things. The next-gen consoles are a great example of this. They are a lot more network heavy than the previous generation. Also, if a game ever uses Microsoft's cloud servers to offload graphical rendering, it would use up more. Adobe Creative Cloud is another something that is moving towards more cloud based stuff and Google has been trying to put everything in the browser with Chrome OS and Google Drive. ISPs will sooner or later, be forced to get better. Change is coming.  :D

too lazy to explain, but this is a bad idea. Don't. 

some of the suggestions in this thread are pretty bad too. 

Error: 410

I forgot to mention this, my grandma is paying at least $120USD for what I said.

My dad has a 200GB cap, phone (free long distance, I believe), and we're paying for the basic TV, but he complained a lot and we have a much better package, and he's paying UNDER $120USD. And my grandma will NOT go to Comcast even though the TV is better, phone is better, and internet is better becuase of one experience before.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

too lazy to explain, but this is a bad idea. Don't. 

some of the suggestions in this thread are pretty bad too. 

How so? I'm actually curious to know.

I forgot to mention this, my grandma is paying at least $120USD for what I said.

Gosh... That is awful. This is what I mean by ISPs being terrible.