Subnautica FREE on December 14

Paul Rudd
9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Games sucking is subjective. Keep in mind GOG used to be Good Old Games, so most of their inventory is 90's and early 2000's. That was their shtick. A lot of people still like those old games.

I am one of those people that like those old games. But just about every single game that I like from back then is overpriced. And just about every time I get them at a lower price, they are never that price at GOG. If they are, I guess I'm just not searching GOG at the same time I find them at other places for lower prices. I guess what I'm getting at is GOG has less price drops on older games, that I notice anyway. I've always not abandoned GOG though. They are currently in my number 6 spot right now just below Green Man Gaming. I have not been too fond of GMG over the past few months though so it's very possible GOG could take over that 5 spot. Then again just about every single deal sites I've not been too fond of lately. The devs really got ahold of all of em'. They need to pay their mansion bills is what it is.

I know you can get certain Steam games on GOG, I'm not sure if it goes the other way around. I've also only noticed it being during the big sales, like the 4 seasons, Black Friday/Cyber Monday. It might be a limited time only thing, and again it's up to the developers to decide if they want to do it since it is "giving away" a free copy essentially. Sort of. But when it's available they have a list of all the games currently going for it.

This sounds like something that has to be done as you obtain the game during major sales. Not something you can just do after owning the game for a while. I remember getting certain games that were free on both platforms if that's what this means. Can't remember the games though.

If I wanted to snag a drink or watch a YouTube video I wouldn't start up a game. I start up a game because I want to play the game, not wait for a download.

People are different. Some people just prefer little increments of time to arise while gaming to do certain things. I too start up a game because I want to play said game but if a random download or wait time just so happens to pop up before me, I don't get irritated because that little increment of time I just use for other tasks I have in like a mental queue.

all that software I don't really use installed, much less constantly running.

This is where multiple TB's come in handy. And you do know you can disable them from running right? Not while you are gaming of course but why disable them while you are gaming unless your CPU is that weak?

I don't like having things run that are unnecessary.

Me either. I need all the performance I can get so my CPU doesn't bottleneck my GPU in high demanding games. Did I just answer the question I asked above this?

10 hours ago, JZStudios said:

If all these games came out on Steam or whatever else you'd only need 1, so they are bloatware. It's like when you buy a laptop or new phone and it's got shitloads of random apps and programs you don't need.

I guess I can understand this but I just never notice it because they aren't running in the background unless I load them up. They are just stored within 4TB's of space in my PC. That doesn't exactly annoy me. It might now that I realize it may in fact be bloatware(thanks), but at the same time, if it's less than half a gig and not running in the background unless I tell it to, it's kind of like an old friend that you never see much anymore. You call em' up when you need something and when their job is done, they go back home.

If you go into your install folder you can make a shortcut directly to the .exe and bypass Galaxy and just boot straight into the game. Galaxy is only supposed to be a more convenient way to browse the store front and keep up to date.

This I know but it's much easier for me to just load up GOG Galaxy, wait for a download so I can go pour me a cup of coffee(even though I don't drink much coffee at all), return with said coffee, sign in and load up the game. Even though I rarely even load up GOG games in the first place.

You can't deny that only using 1 launcher (Or in the case of GOG no launcher at all) is much easier than trying to run 7.

I dunno. Tough to say. When I'm only loading up one launcher at a time(or in the case of the hundreds of games on my PC that require no launcher at all), it's pretty much the same as loading one launcher, or one game. They just look and act differently. Which I'm fine with. I actually have no irritation whatsoever in any of these processes because I do them so often. It's become a completely natural process. I remember in the beginning it wasn't but now it is.

2 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

I am one of those people that like those old games. But just about every single game that I like from back then is overpriced. And just about every time I get them at a lower price, they are never that price at GOG. If they are, I guess I'm just not searching GOG at the same time I find them at other places for lower prices. I guess what I'm getting at is GOG has less price drops on older games, that I notice anyway. I've always not abandoned GOG though. They are currently in my number 6 spot right now just below Green Man Gaming. I have not been too fond of GMG over the past few months though so it's very possible GOG could take over that 5 spot. Then again just about every single deal sites I've not been too fond of lately. The devs really got ahold of all of em'. They need to pay their mansion bills is what it is.

This sounds like something that has to be done as you obtain the game during major sales. Not something you can just do after owning the game for a while. I remember getting certain games that were free on both platforms if that's what this means. Can't remember the games though.

People are different. Some people just prefer little increments of time to arise while gaming to do certain things. I too start up a game because I want to play said game but if a random download or wait time just so happens to pop up before me, I don't get irritated because that little increment of time I just use for other tasks I have in like a mental queue.

This is where multiple TB's come in handy. And you do know you can disable them from running right? Not while you are gaming of course but why disable them while you are gaming unless your CPU is that weak?

Me either. I need all the performance I can get so my CPU doesn't bottleneck my GPU in high demanding games. Did I just answer the question I asked above this?

I guess I can understand this but I just never notice it because they aren't running in the background unless I load them up. They are just stored within 4TB's of space in my PC. That doesn't exactly annoy me. It might now that I realize it may in fact be bloatware(thanks), but at the same time, if it's less than half a gig and not running in the background unless I tell it to, it's kind of like an old friend that you never see much anymore. You call em' up when you need something and when their job is done, they go back home.

This I know but it's much easier for me to just load up GOG Galaxy, wait for a download so I can go pour me a cup of coffee(even though I don't drink much coffee at all), return with said coffee, sign in and load up the game. Even though I rarely even load up GOG games in the first place.

I dunno. Tough to say. When I'm only loading up one launcher at a time(or in the case of the hundreds of games on my PC that require no launcher at all), it's pretty much the same as loading one launcher, or one game. They just look and act differently. Which I'm fine with. I actually have no irritation whatsoever in any of these processes because I do them so often. It's become a completely natural process. I remember in the beginning it wasn't but now it is.

This is getting too long.

It's called GOG connect, and I guess it's onl going from Steam to GOG.

https://www.gog.com/connect

#Muricaparrotgang

On 12/11/2018 at 2:18 PM, JZStudios said:

It's called GOG connect, and I guess it's onl going from Steam to GOG.

I'm currently doing this and I only have a couple of eligible games. GOG is also changing the eligible games next week so hopefully I have some of those as well. I'm only doing this so I can have DRM copies of my eligible Steam games. Not sure when they'll come in handy but it seems they might in the future sometime when I build PC's that need games on them without having to install Steam or GOG. Plus I can just put these on a flash drive and install them at friends houses I would think. Some of my family members might like some of these games on their ancient PC's. I call it easy Christmas presents in a pinch.

46 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

I'm currently doing this and I only have a couple of eligible games. GOG is also changing the eligible games next week so hopefully I have some of those as well. I'm only doing this so I can have DRM copies of my eligible Steam games. Not sure when they'll come in handy but it seems they might in the future sometime when I build PC's that need games on them without having to install Steam or GOG. Plus I can just put these on a flash drive and install them at friends houses I would think. Some of my family members might like some of these games on their ancient PC's. I call it easy Christmas presents in a pinch.

Honestly, I share my GOG library with my brother and we don't have to worry about any of the Steam mcguffins. If we wanted to play online that seems to often go through Galaxy, but since pretty much every game I have is single player it's not a huge issue.

You can do a family plan on Steam, but it's terrible and super limited. Pretty sure that it gets real weird with sharing libraries, and it wants to act like there's only 1 PC for multiple people. I could see it only allowing 1 instance of a certain game running at a time without buying 2 copies, but it actually still only allows 1 person to play anything at a time. If I have Wallpaper Engine running on my PC, he can't play anything.

Another reason I still like physical, I can let him borrow my PS4 games and vice versa, but we'd still need 2 discs if we wanted to play at the same time. If Steam is going to have a family plan I really think that's how they need to go, otherwise it's trying to do stuff in offline mode that doesn't work very well.

Also, GOG and Humble Store have free games right now.

#Muricaparrotgang

14 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Also, GOG and Humble Store have free games right now.

Yea, I know. I done posted them in the hot deals section back at lunch time earlier. As for that Steam family thing, definitely won't be doing anything like that with anyone other than myself. That's where the DRM free GOG copies will have to do.

Just went live, got it!

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

15 minutes ago, porina said:

Just went live, got it!

Same here. I waited for that 11:00 hour mark and it's almost done installing. I already had the game I just want to see how it performs on the Epic Games launcher.

Eh, I grabbed Subnautica for free, too. Unlikely that I'll ever actually play it, though, since it doesn't look like my type of a game. Also, I dislike Epic's store; no way for users to review anything or leave their own feedback is a bad, bad thing, and apparently Epic's refund-system is deliberately cumbersome and everything, just so as few people as possible would bother going through with it -- contrast that to Steam's hands-off refund-system, which works like a charm.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Unlikely that I'll ever actually play it, though, since it doesn't look like my type of a game.

If you've never played it, you might want to load it up asap. I just installed it a couple of hours ago and I just now stopped playing. Already got to where I have to search the red plains area for silver ore so I can make a wiring kit in order to make a rebreather to stay underwater for I think a very long time. It's such an easy game to lose track of time in. Once you turn it on, you're off to surviving.

I dislike Epic's store; no way for users to review anything or leave their own feedback is a bad, bad thing

What makes this a bad, bad thing?

Epic's refund-system is deliberately cumbersome and everything, just so as few people as possible would bother going through with it

What for if you are there for the free games? That's the only reason I am there. The games also run phenomenally.

contrast that to Steam's hands-off refund-system, which works like a charm.

Only needed to use it once. 

1 hour ago, A Random Dude said:

What makes this a bad, bad thing?

The fact that you have to go hunting around on Google or something for random reviews, which will also mean much fewer of them in general. No, paid-for reviews by various magazines etc. ain't the same thing.

What for if you are there for the free games? That's the only reason I am there. The games also run phenomenally.

The reason I'm there has nothing to do with not approving of their bullshit. Trying to deliberately make refund-process cumbersome for people is bullshit, whether I am there for free games or not.

Only needed to use it once.

Says absolutely nothing about its quality, so irrelevant.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

18 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The fact that you have to go hunting around on Google or something for random reviews, which will also mean much fewer of them in general. No, paid-for reviews by various magazines etc. ain't the same thing.

You need a review to play a video game? You can't tell what you're getting into just by watching someone else play the exact same game on YouTube?

20 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The reason I'm there has nothing to do with not approving of their bullshit. Trying to deliberately make refund-process cumbersome for people is bullshit, whether I am there for free games or not.

Why worry about buying a game to go through a refund process?

28 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Says absolutely nothing about its quality, so irrelevant.

The refund process could be the best quality possible. If a game is not your cup of tea, just don't buy it. If a game is free, there's no money to refund.

1 minute ago, A Random Dude said:

You need a review to play a video game? You can't tell what you're getting into just by watching someone else play the exact same game on YouTube?

I don't watch people play games. I rather play games myself. Also, yes, I do need reviews so I know I'm not wasting my money. I don't have a money-tree to pick money off of.

2 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Why worry about buying a game to go through a refund process?

See the above reply.

3 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

The refund process could be the best quality possible. If a game is not your cup of tea, just don't buy it. If a game is free, there's no money to refund.

I cannot always know before-hand if a game is my cup of tea or not, nor can I always know before-hand if I encounter some game-breaking issues with it. I'm not a fucking oracle.

29 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I don't watch people play games. I rather play games myself. Also, yes, I do need reviews so I know I'm not wasting my money. I don't have a money-tree to pick money off of. I cannot always know before-hand if a game is my cup of tea or not, nor can I always know before-hand if I encounter some game-breaking issues with it. I'm not a fucking oracle.

Well that's the reason right there. You cannot always know before-hand if a game is your cup of tea or not because you don't watch the game being played. If you were to watch the game being played before-hand, you would know if it is your cup of tea or not. Game-breaking issues are caused from your end. Make sure your PC meets the system requirements. Epic games aren't oracles either.

17 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Game-breaking issues are caused from your end.

You've never heard of the concept of bugs? You might want to look into that. Might also want to look into the concept of bad design, which often goes hand-in-hand with such things.

Epic games aren't oracles either.

Never said they have to be, either, did I?

Well that's the reason right there. You cannot always know before-hand if a game is your cup of tea or not because you don't watch the game being played.

Like I said, I want to play the games myself, not watch someone else play them. I'd have to watch someone play through the whole game to find out every issue with it, at which point it'd be pointless for me to play it anymore, whereas with reviews, I can just read about the issues.

You've never heard of the concept of bugs? You might want to look into that. Might also want to look into the concept of bad design, which often goes hand-in-hand with such things.

I've looked into game bugs for many years now and the majority of the time, I just squash em'. There's not been many game breaking bugs that I've ran into in my days and the few that I did encounter that kept me from playing the game, it's a good thing I wasn't dumb enough to pay $64.00 for said games. So you see a refund process just isn't in my interest. If I paid $15.00-$20.00 and the game no longer works, I'd blame myself and move on to another game. It has yet to happen and I've bought hundreds of games. I certainly wouldn't get mad at some game store, they didn't buy the game, I did. That would be on me. For possibly, you know, not watching the game being played on YouTube before-hand.

As for bad design, come on dude. That's even worse to not watch a gameplay video on. 

Never said they have to be, either, did I?

Never said you said they had to be, did I?

I'd have to watch someone play through the whole game to find out every issue with it, at which point it'd be pointless for me to play it anymore, whereas with reviews, I can just read about the issues.

That's right, you could just read about the issues. Via Google. These reviews don't have to be located within the launcher. It might be convenient that way but it's not a top priority. You gotta understand, their top priority is paying for their mansion bills. Their high dollar food they eat. They could care less about providing a community like Steam.