CPU+Motherboard upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade to a Ryzen CPU (not entirely sure which one yet) as my current CPU is starting show its age (again not sure exactly which one it is but it's about a 4-5 year old i7), was wondering if anyone had some suggestions? Not sure what motherboard would be best suited as I'd like upgradability in the future for RAM etc, and hoping to keep with about £400ish, so, what are people suggesting?

What do you want to do with your system? Straight gaming,  workstation, ect.

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

Find me on Rainbow 6 seige - Beeried94

Wait for Ryzen 3, comes out Q1 next year. If rumours are to be believed, they are insane. 6c/12t on entry level CPUs.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

50 minutes ago, Cb2394 said:

What do you want to do with your system? Straight gaming,  workstation, ect.

Mostly gaming but also some light video editing, hence I want to good the ryzen route

15 minutes ago, Limeykins said:

Mostly gaming but also some light video editing, hence I want to good the ryzen route

Then I'd say what turretgaming said above,  a x470 board and a 2600x if you want to upgrade right this minute.  If you want to save some cash, you could go 1700x, I got one myself on sale and it's an amazing chip, but I believe the consensus is that the 2600x is a better gaming chip and it can handle light video editing 

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

Find me on Rainbow 6 seige - Beeried94

Wait untill Ryzen 3000 series. Annoucement most likely will come in CES and release most likely around May/June

For your budget Ryzen 3 3300 will be beast, 6c/12t and clocking to 4.5-5Ghz for 99-129$, if rumors are true.

"Game" : Work in Progress
"Work" : Threadripper 3970X | Gigabyte TRX40 Designare | 128GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Waterforce WB | Custom Loop | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC
Dell R710 NAS : 2 x X5660 Xeon | 96GB DDR3 ECC | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC | 6 x 16TB Seagate Exos X16 | Dual 1TB Kingston NVMe as Cache | IBM M1015 flashed IT-mode | Proxmox 

HP ML350P : 2 x Xeon E5 4650 | 128Gb DDR3 ECC | Intel X520-T2 Dual 10GbE NIC | Quadro K6000 | 8 x Samsung SM1625 800Gb SSD | 240Gb Intel D3-S4610 Boot | Dual 1TB Samsung 970 Pro | IBM M1015 flashed IT-mode | Dual 750W PSU