BestBuy leaks new LG Gram 17 laptop with a 16:10 display, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM and 8th gen core i7 for $1700

AlTech
13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) not everyone needs a dedicated GPU and 4k, some people simply want larger screens.

2) there is a limit to the battery capacity that can be put in a device for air travel

3) intel integrated graphics are actually quite powerful these days and do excellent in most tasks that aren't heavy gaming. FYI not everyone is a gamer, ther are people that do real work.

4) if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU then there is no reason to make it thicker for more cooling

Because clearly you don't understand the difference between saying "i personally dont find this laptop useful" and "I think nobody else should find this laptop useful"

One is a personal opinion, the other is blanketing your subjective opinion on everybody else.

Go reread your post because you don't understand that what you wrote is not "about you" it is about everyone else, as per the three quotes that I showed you which came straight out of your post.

1. For the price this laptop is at, it should have a dedicated GPU, and a 4k screen.

2. Why would someone put a 17" laptop in their carry on luggage? Good luck actually using a large laptop in a flight.

3. Again, the onboard GPU doesn't excuse the price of this laptop. People doing real work would appreciate having a dedicated GPU.

4. This laptop has an i7 CPU, it would make much more sense to make it just slightly thicker for improved cooling.

Well mostly everyone else in this thread is wondering why a 17" laptop is being marketed as an ultrabook. What I don't understand is why people are still so obsessed with how thin their phone or laptop are when if it were slightly thicker it could have twice the battery capacity and better hardware.

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

even more surprising is the ammount of people that put the laptop among top 5 or top 3 of best laptops of 2018.

notable drag downs are somewhat lackluster IO (though type A USB port is included along with 2 type C with one having thunderbolt) and the abysmal webcam placed under a key on the keyboard.(like its pretty bad, but it does accommodate the large display with minimal borders)

Just looked it up. Hardware looks pretty good and decently powerful, but that price looks a little steep but maybe on par, if not a little better than Macbook Pro 13"

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

Just now, kting15 said:

Just looked it up. Hardware looks pretty good and decently powerful, but that price looks a little steep but maybe on par, if not a little better than Macbook Pro 13"

i mean, its ever aimed as a valueoption. so offcourse the price is steep. but it is the exact market they are targetting. 

also it gets configured with the low power mx150 because of thermal constraints. and yes, its essentially a better macbook

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

You can stop trying because I'm obviously not going to read what you're going to write. I maintain my position and so far besides you, others have more or less agreed to the same sentiment. If you really feel like continuing to try and fail at antagonizing me, go ahead, because its actually not working.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

1. For the price this laptop is at, it should have a dedicated GPU, and a 4k screen.

2. Why would someone put a 17" laptop in their carry on luggage? Good luck actually using a large laptop in a flight.

3. Again, the onboard GPU doesn't excuse the price of this laptop. People doing real work would appreciate having a dedicated GPU.

4. This laptop has an i7 CPU, it would make much more sense to make it just slightly thicker for improved cooling.

Well mostly everyone else in this thread is wondering why a 17" laptop is being marketed as an ultrabook. What I don't understand is why people are still so obsessed with how thin their phone or laptop are when if it were slightly thicker it could have twice the battery capacity and better hardware.

1) Fair enough, price is a good argument

2) Because you're not allowed to put them in checked baggage......................................

3) Again, depends on the work. Writing documents, spreadsheets, email, presentations, web browsing, research, etc don't require a GPU.

4) Mobile i7s have much lower TDP than desktop i7s and don't require a ton of cooling, especially since you can't overclock it. As long as the stock temps are safe there is no point to add more cooling to get a couple degrees lower.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i mean, its ever aimed as a valueoption. so offcourse the price is steep. but it is the exact market they are targetting. 

also it gets configured with the low power mx150 because of thermal constraints. and yes, its essentially a better macbook

I've seen one in person before. It was at a Microsoft store at a mall in Dallas. I did play around with it and it is a nice laptop. Honestly just never thought to look more into it.

for the price, would rather get a thinkpad p1

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>