BestBuy leaks new LG Gram 17 laptop with a 16:10 display, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM and 8th gen core i7 for $1700

AlTech

TheVerge reports that BestBuy has leaked the new LG Gram 17 laptop which features a 16:10 2560x1600 display (same resolution as found on Apple's 13" MacBookAir with Retina Display and 13" MacBookPro), 512GB SSD Storage, 16GB of DDR4 RAM and an 8th generation Intel core i7.

The new Gram 17 is alleged less than 3 pounds.

We thought LG’s 17-inch Gram laptop was on the way, and today, Best Buy listed the device online. The new LG Gram is intriguing not just because it ships with a 17-inch, 2560 x 1600 IPS display, but also because it weighs less than three pounds.

LG says the Gram should last 19.5 hours on a charge, although the company’s battery claims have been questionable before. According to Best Buy’s listing, the laptop features a 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and Intel 8th Gen Core i7 processor. Ports include a headphone jack, three USB-A 3.1 ports, one USB-C port, a microSD card reader, and one HDMI port.

Best Buy’s specs listing is incorrect, it seems, because the company lists the laptop as having three USB-C ports. But the FCC’s listing from earlier this month and Best Buy’s images show the device having three USB-A ports. We’ve reached out to LG for confirmation. The 17-inch Gram is priced at $1,699.99 in this configuration. Best Buy lists it as “sold out,” but it’s likely that the retailer hasn’t actually begun selling it yet.

Another OEM other than Apple using 16:10 on a laptop? Cool.... :P. Although the price you pay I think is a little steep for the SSD, RAM and processor options although that might just be me.

As always, take LG's battery claims with mountains of salt. Definitely interested in how they cut down the weight as it's supposed to be about as light as a 13" MacBook Pro.

I'm not personally a fan of the LG Gram series but I could definitely see the appeal for some people.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Does it have a discrete graphics card? It should at that price point

✨FNIGE✨

Just now, SlimyPython said:

Probably not.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, SlimyPython said:

How do you think they would fit a graphics card in there while being so thin, light, and having over 12 hours of battery life...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Apparantly the Gram 15 is already a bit flexible due to its weight savings. I can't imagine the build quality of a 17" gram would be like if the same methods of weight savings is used. Sounds like it could be a very fragile laptop, but we'll see.

I do like the 16:10 display though. That's a nice touch in a market where everyone except Apple and Microsoft uses a 16:9 aspect ratio for their laptop displays.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

How do you think they would fit a graphics card in there while being so thin, light, and having over 12 hours of battery life...?

GeForce MX130. There's a slightly slower version meant for thin & lights like the Gram.

Just now, Nowak said:

GeForce MX130. There's a slightly slower version meant for thin & lights like the Gram.

Did you mean the MX150? The MX 150 is the mobile variant of the GT 1030.

The MX 130 on the other hand is a rebranded 28nm GeForce 940M iirc.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Did you mean the MX150? The MX 150 is the mobile variant of the GT 1030.

The MX 130 on the other hand is a rebranded 28nm GeForce 940M iirc.

Yes, MX150. My bad xD

3 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Yes, MX150. My bad xD

I dunno. Considering, the Gram 15 doesnt have a dGPU, I don't know if they would put one in the Gram 17 to preserve weight and battery life, though I also feel like people in the market for a 17-inch laptop are probably looking for more power as well, though I can't imagine someone going for (probably) a 8550U and an MX150 over a XPS 15 with an 8750H and a 1050Ti max-q for more power and less cost unless the REALLY wanted a 17-inch screen in a light chassis.

Also, another thing, doesnt the 17-inch screen kind of negate the weight savings with its large form factor considering that most people looking for a Gram are looking for portability and convenience? A 17-inch laptop, at least in my mind, doesn't seem very logical option when portability is a consideration.

This just goes to show though that I am probably not the target audience for an LG Gram 17, or an LG Gram in general.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

13 minutes ago, kting15 said:

I dunno. Considering, the Gram 15 doesnt have a dGPU, I don't know if they would put one in the Gram 17 to preserve weight and battery life, though I also feel like people in the market for a 17-inch laptop are probably looking for more power as well, though I can't imagine someone going for (probably) a 8550U and an MX150 over a XPS 15 with an 8750H and a 1050Ti max-q for more power and less cost unless the REALLY wanted a 17-inch screen in a light chassis.

Also, another thing, doesnt the 17-inch screen kind of negate the weight savings with its large form factor considering that most people looking for a Gram are looking for portability and convenience? A 17-inch laptop, at least in my mind, doesn't seem very logical option when portability is a consideration.

This just goes to show though that I am probably not the target audience for an LG Gram 17, or an LG Gram in general.

Yeah, you aren't the target audience for the LG Gram. Sounds like you'd prefer a bit more power over more battery life.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

Yeah, you aren't the target audience for the LG Gram. Sounds like you'd prefer a bit more power over more battery life.

I think I'd say that I would like more of a balance between the two but you definitely aren't wrong.

Just now, kting15 said:

I think I'd say that I would like more of a balance between the two but you arent wrong.

Well in that case, there's the Gigabyte Aero line.

Just now, Nowak said:

Well in that case, there's the Gigabyte Aero line.

I've been looking at that, the MSI GS65, and the Razer Blade 15, but my Macbook Pro is still trucking along 4 years later, so I might as well save the money for when I get out of college and maybe get one then.

19 minutes ago, kting15 said:

Just because someone wants a larger screen doesn't mean that they want a 20lb 3" thick laptop.

You can have both a lage screen and a thin design with low weight.

It's obviously a bit more than a 15 or 13 but you don't get a 17" screen with a 15 or 13.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Disappointing its not a 4k at 17" and in 2018.

Just now, Enderman said:

Just because someone wants a larger screen doesn't mean that they want a 20lb 3" thick laptop.

It's obviously a bit more than a 15 or 13 but you don't get a 17" screen with a 15 or 13.

I'm not saying theres not a market for one. Im saying that it doesn't make sense to me.

You want a laptop that is thin and light so it can be portable but you also want it to be a 17 inch screen so and have it be large flat surface that is hard to fit in most bags and is harder to bring around because its bigger. In my mind, it just doesn't make sense.

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Disappointing its not a 4k at 17" and in 2018.

A 4K 17-inch panel would be nice and definitely more beneficial than a 4K display at 13 or 15 inches.

22 minutes ago, kting15 said:

I'm not saying theres not a market for one. Im saying that it doesn't make sense to me.

You want a laptop that is thin and light so it can be portable but you also want it to be a 17 inch screen so and have it be large flat surface that is hard to fit in most bags and is harder to bring around because its bigger. In my mind, it just doesn't make sense.

Your entire post was about other people.

"...I also feel like people in the market..."

"...I can't imagine someone going for..."

"...most people looking for a Gram are..."

Making sense to you is completely different from making absurd statements about you think think other people's opinions are.

"I think" =/= "according to me, everyone else thinks"

I also literally just explained why someone might want a larger screen without a lot of weight or thickness.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that wanting a bigger screen does not mean you also want a heavy thick laptop?

You do realize that the thin bezels make it even more compact than regular 17" laptops, right?

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No it doesn't have to be 20lbs. or be 3" thick to be a powerful laptop. But a 17" laptop that is thin and light without the performance doesn't make much sense.

And I think if this laptop was slightly thicker it could have a 1050Ti and a 4K screen, being a bit thicker it could have better cooling and even more batteries too.

Your entire post was about other people.

"...I also feel like people in the market..."

"...I can't imagine someone going for..."

"...most people looking for a Gram are..."

Making sense to you is completely different from making absurd statements about you think think other people's opinions are.

"I think" =/= "according to me, everyone else thinks"

I also literally just explained why someone might want a larger screen without a lot of weight or thickness.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that wanting a bigger screen does not mean you also want a heavy thick laptop?

You do realize that the thin bezels make it even more compact than regular 17" laptops, right?

I don't really know why you're trying to start something here. There was nothing absurd about my assumptions. There was nothing wrong about my statement. I even made concessions about that fact that this laptop is probably not marketed toward me. I don't know why you're trying to antagonize me but frankly I don't care.

1 hour ago, kting15 said:

I do like the 16:10 display though. That's a nice touch in a market where everyone except Apple and Microsoft uses a 16:9 aspect ratio for their laptop displays.

Huawei uses 3:2 aspect ration screen btw. just gonna point that out.

devices of note that use them are the Huawei Matebook X Pro which im still surprised LTT hasnt touched upon

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Huawei uses 3:2 aspect ration screen btw. just gonna point that out.

devices of not that use them are the Huawei Matebook X Pro which im still surprised LTT hasnt touched upon

Huh thats interesting. I didn't know that.

22 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

No it doesn't have to be 20lbs. or be 3" thick to be a powerful laptop. But a 17" laptop that is thin and light without the performance doesn't make much sense.

And I think if this laptop was slightly thicker it could have a 1050Ti and a 4K screen, being a bit thicker it could have better cooling and even more batteries too.

1) not everyone needs a dedicated GPU and 4k, some people simply want larger screens.

2) there is a limit to the battery capacity that can be put in a device for air travel

3) intel integrated graphics are actually quite powerful these days and do excellent in most tasks that aren't heavy gaming. FYI not everyone is a gamer, ther are people that do real work.

4) if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU then there is no reason to make it thicker for more cooling

22 minutes ago, kting15 said:

I don't really know why you're trying to start something here. There was nothing absurd about my assumptions. There was nothing wrong about my statement. I even made concessions about that fact that this laptop is probably not marketed toward me. I don't know why you're trying to antagonize me but frankly I don't care.

Because clearly you don't understand the difference between saying "i personally dont find this laptop useful" and "I think nobody else should find this laptop useful"

One is a personal opinion, the other is blanketing your subjective opinion on everybody else.

Go reread your post because you don't understand that what you wrote is not "about you" it is about everyone else, as per the three quotes that I showed you which came straight out of your post.

Spoiler

Just now, kting15 said:

Huh thats interesting. I didn't know that.

even more surprising is the ammount of people that put the laptop among top 5 or top 3 of best laptops of 2018.

notable drag downs are somewhat lackluster IO (though type A USB port is included along with 2 type C with one having thunderbolt) and the abysmal webcam placed under a key on the keyboard.(like its pretty bad, but it does accommodate the large display with minimal borders)

1) not everyone needs a dedicated GPU and 4k, some people simply want larger screens.

2) there is a limit to the battery capacity that can be put in a device for air travel

3) intel integrated graphics are actually quite powerful these days and do excellent in most tasks that aren't heavy gaming. FYI not everyone is a gamer, ther are people that do real work.

4) if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU then there is no reason to make it thicker for more cooling

Because clearly you don't understand the difference between saying "i personally dont find this laptop useful" and "I think nobody else should find this laptop useful"

One is a personal opinion, the other is blanketing your subjective opinion on everybody else.

Go reread your post because you don't understand that what you wrote is not "about you" it is about everyone else, as per the three quotes that I showed you which came straight out of your post.

nope. You can believe whatever makes you happy though.