i5 3570K high overclock temps

Alright, so I have my 3570K clocked at pretty much 4.6GHz(give or take 11MHz), and my temps seem a little higher than I want them to be. My current cooler is the Hydro H50 with a Noctua NF-P12. My CPU is running @ stock voltages as well. Here are my max temps when the CPU is totally stressed out using core temp:

Core #0 - 77.2 degrees C

Core #1 - 78.8 degrees C

Core #2 - 80 degrees C

Core #3 - 76.1 degrees C

Right now, they're hovering around 73-76 degrees C. Are these temps normal? My Noctua fan is running at full RPM at the moment. I understand the Hydro H50 isn't the best water cooler around, but I thought it would be much better than this.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

whats your room temp?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Seems kinda ok.

The general rule is 85-90 degrees is getting a little too hot.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

whats your room temp?

According to my thermostat, it's 21 degrees C.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

try reseating the cooler, might help

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

try reseating the cooler, might help
I've done that before. Temps were higher before I reseated it.

Hold on - you have overclocked to 4.6 using "stock" voltages? Does that mean your vcore has been left at auto? That might be your problem. Run CPU-Z and see what core voltage you are pulling. I bet it is way to high and hence a lot of heat.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hold on - you have overclocked to 4.6 using "stock" voltages? Does that mean your vcore has been left at auto? That might be your problem. Run CPU-Z and see what core voltage you are pulling. I bet it is way to high and hence a lot of heat.
That looks like the issue. Thanks. I just ran BOINC and am almost hitting 1.4 on the voltages.

I was trying to adjust my voltage, and I tried to set it to 1.25, and my system would freeze when booting Windows, so I decided to try putting it at 1.34, but then I got a BSOD. What's causing this? I'm using a P8-Z77 LE PLUS motherboard in case anyone forgot. I'm still getting used to ASUS EFI BIOS.

Check Linus's video on overclocking - you need to play with your voltage and multiplier. Also, Tim at OC3D YouTube has a good video on it as well. You need to do a lot of minor increments on each and a lot of testing.... probably need to adjust your LLC/vdroop...

And ya, 1.4v would be cooking things :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

whaler_99 tim = tom... lolol

godly, rebench at stock and use those guides, before your CPU leaves you..

airdeano

airdeano

Yeah. I figured I would have to do that.

Post edited out because it's irrelevant.

I got everything to work. My changes weren't being made in the BIOS, so I had to update the BIOS to get it to reset. Anyways, doing tests right now as we speak with voltage and clocks. Right now, things are going swell and temps are much lower. Thanks for everyone's input.

With all the work I'm doing on the CPU(like lowering the voltage), my CPU is running at 4.4GHz with max temps of 62 degrees C. :D

With all the work I'm doing on the CPU(like lowering the voltage), my CPU is running at 4.4GHz with max temps of 62 degrees C. :D
Those are reasonable temps so I don't think you will have to do anything to keep it cooler. I would use Prime 95 on blend and run it for at least 12 hours if you already haven't done tests to make sure that your cpu is stable.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Much better. Moral of this story is "Never leave your CPU on factory default voltages ever".

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

It wasn't on factory default settings. My ASUS motherboard was overvolting the CPU. At stock, it sits at 1.2ish. Somewhere around there. After my temps stabilize, they sit at around 57 degrees C.

something had to change the settings.. the motherboard only does what it is told..

a stock 3.7GHZ (37 multi) vCORE 1.080, turbo off and wait states disabled should

be 35°-40° ambient 22° under load

with the LLC on extreme/100% and RAM timings/voltage (not speed) dialed in.

so where is your 4.4GHz vCORE volts at? new chip 1.130-1.160vcore, worn 1.150-1.190vcore.

airdeano

airdeano

Doh! Ya :) Tom... that's it...

something had to change the settings.. the motherboard only does what it is told.. a stock 3.7GHZ (37 multi) vCORE 1.080' date=' turbo off and wait states disabled should be 35°-40° ambient 22° under load with the LLC on extreme/100% and RAM timings/voltage (not speed) dialed in. so where is your 4.4GHz vCORE volts at? new chip 1.130-1.160vcore, worn 1.150-1.190vcore. airdeano[/quote']

It's at 1.28 right now pretty much. Kinda bounces. Before I reset the BIOS(through updating), I couldn't change anything I think because everytime I would reset, it would shut off for about 2-3 seconds - it was in sync with my displays "no signal" message. Whenever that message would stop displaying, the computer would turn back on. Same thing happened when rebooting inside of Windows. Kinda bizarre - but everything is working the way it should be now. Is it possible for a BIOS to be partially corrupted, and still kind of work?

airdeano

I didn't even catch that the first time I read Whaler's response.

so, so not likely..

so what motherboard?

sounds like its still auto.. no one would set up that high vCORE for a medium

multiplier.

whose guide are you using to setup this overclock? my ASUS Maximus boards

are nowhere near that vCORE.. ivey or sandy.

have you found your stock multi low-volt yet? should be about 1.050-1.100v for a

stable undervolt. this will give you a baseline to start. knowing that threshold will

teach you how to troubleshoot issues by changing vCORE, CPU voltage, LLC and

switches. and RAM timings are really important.

auto anything is a genuine disaster waiting to happen.

airdeano

so, so not likely..

so what motherboard?

sounds like its still auto.. no one would set up that high vCORE for a medium

multiplier.

whose guide are you using to setup this overclock? my ASUS Maximus boards

are nowhere near that vCORE.. ivey or sandy.

have you found your stock multi low-volt yet? should be about 1.050-1.100v for a

stable undervolt. this will give you a baseline to start. knowing that threshold will

teach you how to troubleshoot issues by changing vCORE, CPU voltage, LLC and

switches. and RAM timings are really important.

auto anything is a genuine disaster waiting to happen.

airdeano

It's not on auto. I've set it manually. If I didn't set it to there, I wouldn't be able to boot. I get BSODs. My motherboard is an P8-Z77 LE PLUS. Certain things are set to auto, but not CPU related, such as my RAM. I didn't use any guide. I just reset my BIOS and did it myself through testing.

watch this.. its on a giggy board, but asus uses the same terminology.[url=

]
[/url=
]

if you have 1.28 and not auto... that's way too high for a simple 4.4GHz OC

airdeano