Cpu frequency locked in

Hi, so as far as i can remember (1+ yr) my cpu has been locked at 4.68 ghz. Whatever i do it never changes its frequency. Im not sure if i have somehow manually locked it or if its some sort of bug/feature. Thanks

Screenshot 2024-05-27 081402.png

Screenshot 2024-05-27 081517.png

20240527_081444.jpg

A couple things:

1. Use HWInfo or CPU-Z to read the CPU frequency, other software (Task Manager specifically) has been known to bug and give false readings. 
  2. What motherboard do you have? If it's a B460/B560 board, that will cause your issue as those boards do not support CPU overclocking.
  3. Move your GPU to the top x16 slot, that's the slot optimized for PCIe bandwidth, meaning that at best you're losing 1-2% performance, and at worse you're losing 40-50% performance. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

A couple things:

1. Use HWInfo or CPU-Z to read the CPU frequency, other software (Task Manager specifically) has been known to bug and give false readings. 
  2. What motherboard do you have? If it's a B460/B560 board, that will cause your issue as those boards do not support CPU overclocking.
  3. Move your GPU to the top x16 slot, that's the slot optimized for PCIe bandwidth, meaning that at best you're losing 1-2% performance, and at worse you're losing 40-50% performance. 

i do indeed have a B460 board, and sadly im pretty sure that top slot is basically dead. gpu stopped working some time ago, changed the slot and now its working, dont really wanna mess with it as i havent noticed any significant performance loss.

Screenshot 2024-05-27 084404.png

Specs are: i7 10700KF, B460, rtx 3070, 16 gb ddr4 3200 mhz

hes like me fr

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

2 hours ago, oelholm said:

Specs are: i7 10700KF, B460, rtx 3070, 16 gb ddr4 3200 mhz

OK......

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

A couple things:

We need to know what make and model the board is, not just it's a B460 board.
There are several different makes and models of a B460 and the exact one you have will matter in figuring out a solution.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

OK......

We need to know what make and model the board is, not just it's a B460 board.
There are several different makes and models of a B460 and the exact one you have will matter in figuring out a solution.

oh yeah, sorry mb. Its an Asus TUF gaming b460 PLUS 

3 hours ago, oelholm said:

and sadly im pretty sure that top slot is basically dead. gpu stopped working some time ago, changed the slot and now its working, dont really wanna mess with it as i havent noticed any significant performance loss.

what's that other card in the top slot though? does it work?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

1 minute ago, podkall said:

what's that other card in the top slot though? does it work?

That is a wifi card and it works perfectly. its sat in a separate x4 slot

2 minutes ago, oelholm said:

That is a wifi card and it works perfectly. its sat in a separate x4 slot

it honestly might be the reason why the GPU can't be in first slot, but don't quote me on that, I'm just assuming based on official Intel stats for 10700KF:

image.png.a6d477c6954772ab27d85b65018f331a.png

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

PCs I used before:

2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

As far as CPU running on constant 4,something Ghz, still better than running locked on 3,8Ghz base, you have performance but you also don't suffer from thermal problems, though that AIO might be able to handle this CPU at it's peak performance

current PC:

PCs I used before:

16 minutes ago, podkall said:

it honestly might be the reason why the GPU can't be in first slot, but don't quote me on that, I'm just assuming based on official Intel stats for 10700KF:

image.png.a6d477c6954772ab27d85b65018f331a.png

It ran fine with the graphics card in the top slot for almost 3 years, then one day it just said nah. Im pretty sure theres something up with my motherboard as i first had some very, very weird ram issues and then right after the issue with the gpu.

9 hours ago, oelholm said:

my cpu has been locked at 4.68 GHz

If you are using the Windows High Performance power plan and the C states are all disabled, your CPU will be locked to a fixed frequency whether idle or fully loaded. That is not a bad thing. Use the Windows Balanced power plan if you want to see your CPU slow down when lightly loaded. 

For Intel Turbo Boost to work correctly, the core C states need to be enabled in the BIOS. Most monitoring software does not accurately report Intel Turbo Boost on B series motherboards. Try using ThrottleStop 9.6. It uses high performance monitoring timers within the CPU and closely follows the Intel recommended monitoring method.  

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

When idle at the desktop, open the C states window to check if the C states are enabled. It should look something like this with idle cores spending close to 99% of their time in core C7. 

image.png.930321ed54ece53c0b31be14f6da168f.png

If this window shows all 0.0, Intel Turbo Boost will not fully work. If Intel Turbo Boost is enabled and working correctly, ThrottleStop should show a CPU speed higher than 4.68 GHz during a single thread CPU test. Try running the ThrottleStop TS Bench test. Set it to 1 Thread. You can also run the single core test in Cinebench to create a consistent one core load. Do not use the CPU-Z Single Thread test. It loads two cores, not one. Take a ThrottleStop screenshot while you are running a single thread test. 

If you have any problems, post screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows. It will show if the BIOS is setting up your CPU correctly. Turn off all of those other monitoring apps when testing. They are not accurate enough to report Intel Turbo Boost correctly. 

18 hours ago, unclewebb said:

If you are using the Windows High Performance power plan and the C states are all disabled, your CPU will be locked to a fixed frequency whether idle or fully loaded. That is not a bad thing. Use the Windows Balanced power plan if you want to see your CPU slow down when lightly loaded. 

For Intel Turbo Boost to work correctly, the core C states need to be enabled in the BIOS. Most monitoring software does not accurately report Intel Turbo Boost on B series motherboards. Try using ThrottleStop 9.6. It uses high performance monitoring timers within the CPU and closely follows the Intel recommended monitoring method.  

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

When idle at the desktop, open the C states window to check if the C states are enabled. It should look something like this with idle cores spending close to 99% of their time in core C7. 

image.png.930321ed54ece53c0b31be14f6da168f.png

If this window shows all 0.0, Intel Turbo Boost will not fully work. If Intel Turbo Boost is enabled and working correctly, ThrottleStop should show a CPU speed higher than 4.68 GHz during a single thread CPU test. Try running the ThrottleStop TS Bench test. Set it to 1 Thread. You can also run the single core test in Cinebench to create a consistent one core load. Do not use the CPU-Z Single Thread test. It loads two cores, not one. Take a ThrottleStop screenshot while you are running a single thread test. 

If you have any problems, post screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows. It will show if the BIOS is setting up your CPU correctly. Turn off all of those other monitoring apps when testing. They are not accurate enough to report Intel Turbo Boost correctly. 

So, i went in the bios and the C states option was set to auto, changed it to enabled. Still it never went over 4.7 ghz even in the 1 thread benchmark. 

tpl.png

fivr.png

benchmark.png

C states.png

18 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Windows High Performance power plan (enabled)

Was my thought exactly. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

7 hours ago, oelholm said:

it never went over 4.7 GHz even in the 1 thread benchmark

That is usually a sign that the BIOS is not setting your CPU correctly. Are you using the latest BIOS version?

In ThrottleStop try checking the MMIO Lock box which is near the top right of the Turbo Power Limits window. Also check the Speed Shift box in this window. 

Post a screenshot of the Limit Reasons window while you are running the 1 Thread test. 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

That is usually a sign that the BIOS is not setting your CPU correctly. Are you using the latest BIOS version?

In ThrottleStop try checking the MMIO Lock box which is near the top right of the Turbo Power Limits window. Also check the Speed Shift box in this window. 

Post a screenshot of the Limit Reasons window while you are running the 1 Thread test. 

well i updated my BIOS yesterday so i dont think thats the issue. I tried what you said and ran the bench but still nothing 😞

throttlestop.png

29 minutes ago, oelholm said:

i updated my BIOS yesterday so I don't think that's the issue

The BIOS can set the maximum multiplier for the CPU. It is the most likely issue. If the BIOS has set the maximum multiplier to 47, that would limit your CPU to the 47 multiplier. BIOS bugs are common. 

There is also a different setting within the Windows power plan that can be used to limit the maximum CPU speed. Here is how to add access to the Maximum processor frequency variable to your Windows power plan.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_add_or_remove_maximum_processor_frequency.html

The default value of 0 should allow the CPU to reach its maximum speed. If the Maximum processor frequency is set to 0 then it is very likely a BIOS issue.

In ThrottleStop the PP0 Power Limit does not need to be checked. You can set the PP0 Turbo Time Limit to the minimum, 0.0010 seconds. This does not seem to be causing the problem you are having. 

Edit - If you have access to RW Everything, post a screenshot of the Memory tab with the Address set to FED15900

That will show if your motherboard is using this method to limit the CPU speed. 

image.png.d47499d77013105de3f9ae03b01aa442.png

44 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

The BIOS can set the maximum multiplier for the CPU. It is the most likely issue. If the BIOS has set the maximum multiplier to 47, that would limit your CPU to the 47 multiplier. BIOS bugs are common. 

There is also a different setting within the Windows power plan that can be used to limit the maximum CPU speed. Here is how to add access to the Maximum processor frequency variable to your Windows power plan.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_add_or_remove_maximum_processor_frequency.html

The default value of 0 should allow the CPU to reach its maximum speed. If the Maximum processor frequency is set to 0 then it is very likely a BIOS issue.

In ThrottleStop the PP0 Power Limit does not need to be checked. You can set the PP0 Turbo Time Limit to the minimum, 0.0010 seconds. This does not seem to be causing the problem you are having. 

Edit - If you have access to RW Everything, post a screenshot of the Memory tab with the Address set to FED15900

That will show if your motherboard is using this method to limit the CPU speed. 

image.png.d47499d77013105de3f9ae03b01aa442.png

So i changed the PP0 Turbo Time Limit to 0.0010 but like you said didnt change anything.  The power plan thing was already set to 0 andI tried to get RW everything but the newest version seems to be from 2017 and doesnt support my hardware.

cpu mhz.png