Running GTX 750Ti with SATA

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
14 minutes ago, Overlandr said:

Hello, I am looking to update an Optiplex 3020 (i5 model) with a GTX 750Ti  which I have already purchased. The card only runs at 60W stock, so if I plug a SATA to PCI-E power adaptor into the card will it pull more power through the cable or through the PCI-E slot which seems to have a max power output of 75W. This is because I am worried about the power drawn through the SATA power cable may be too much for it if more power is pulled from the cable than the slot.

Thanks.

Video cards that use additional power will likely be designed with different parts of the card drawing power from the slot or the cables to avoid power load issues.

Hello, I am looking to update an Optiplex 3020 (i5 model) with a GTX 750Ti  which I have already purchased. The card only runs at 60W stock, so if I plug a SATA to PCI-E power adaptor into the card will it pull more power through the cable or through the PCI-E slot which seems to have a max power output of 75W. This is because I am worried about the power drawn through the SATA power cable may be too much for it if more power is pulled from the cable than the slot.

Thanks.

Plugging in a power cable doesn't make more power get drawn from another location. It delivers power via the cable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Overlandr said:

It probably doesn't even need a power cable in to run, but I'd probably suggest using a MOLEX to PCI-e adapter if you really want one, the power draw is low enough that it really shouldn't matter.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

14 minutes ago, Overlandr said:

Thanks.

Video cards that use additional power will likely be designed with different parts of the card drawing power from the slot or the cables to avoid power load issues.