Walmart PC Price/performance

Walmart released there Over Powered PC's instantly to be hated by PCMR. With prices ranging from 1400(+shipping) to 2100 (+shipping) they seemed to have a poor value when comparing to a hand built PC. After receiving lots of hate last week(Friday) from Gamer"s Nexus it was looking pretty terrible as an atempt.  They have also received 4 reviews and 1 star on the DTW3. Link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWERED-Gaming-Desktop-DTW3-Intel-i7-8700-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080TI-512GB-SSD-2TB-HDD-32GB-RAM-Windows-10/829662749.After such blow back, Walmart then dropped the price to 1899 of the DTW3,1699 for the 2,and only 1199 for the1.  I made a twin on PC Part picker to the DTW1 for 1199. I believe that this is actually extremely well priced when considering that you do nothing and it is handed to you(after forking over way to much money). https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

This is my second post but i saw this trend and thought i'd make a write up on it. Walmart is defiantly getting into the market and in my eyes they are doing it correctly if they do feel they want to be competitive but i never will be buying one. The "Great Wall" PSU looks pretty shooty to me.

Self Built PC: 

Other PC:

Thermaltake H18

NZXT H500 White

Asus  P8B75-M/CSM  MATX

Intel DX79SI Full ATX

Intel I7 3770k(Master Liquid 240)

Xeon E5 2670(H212)

Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1070

Dual Zotac 1070s

16GB Vengence DDR3

32gb Generic ECC DDR3

OCZ 240g SSD

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

WD 1TB

EVGA G1 Nova 750W fully modular

Corrsair 600W

please check your links

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I don't think it should be any surprise that Wal-Mart cheaped out on the less sexy components like the PSU, CPU fan and motherboard. I can see how it looks attractive on paper to the general public though. Case looks nice enough though a little flashy for myself. They could easily use their supply chain power to source better parts but the power of the almighty dollar reins supreme. 

12 minutes ago, White_Buffalo7.3 said:

Walmart released there Over Powered PC's instantly to be hated by PCMR. With prices ranging from 1400(+shipping) to 2100 (+shipping) they seemed to have a poor value when comparing to a hand built PC. After receiving lots of hate last week(Friday) from Gamer"s Nexus it was looking pretty terrible as an atempt.  They have also received 4 reviews and 1 star on the DTW3. Link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWERED-Gaming-Desktop-DTW3-Intel-i7-8700-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080TI-512GB-SSD-2TB-HDD-32GB-RAM-Windows-10/829662749.After such blow back, Walmart then dropped the price to 1899 of the DTW3,1699 for the 2,and only 1199 for the1.  I made a twin on PC Part picker to the DTW1 for 1199. I believe that this is actually extremely well priced when considering that you do nothing and it is handed to you(after forking over way to much money). https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

This is my second post but i saw this trend and thought i'd make a write up on it. Walmart is defiantly getting into the market and in my eyes they are doing it correctly if they do feel they want to be competitive but i never will be buying one. The "Great Wall" PSU looks pretty shooty to me.

Eh, if you can build it for as cheap then build it yourself. The chinese power supply wal-mart used is surely to crap out faster than anything else in the computer. The mobo also isn't great, and non-ocable. Personally I'd rather buy a cheaper case and a more expensive mobo + CPU. 

19 minutes ago, White_Buffalo7.3 said:

Gotta give us the embedded link

As for the rest of it, I suppose the DTW1 is decently priced now. However, most of the cost difference from the DTW1 to the DTW2 is covered by the RAM, since 16GB of DDR4 is over $100. Used 1080s are selling for around $400, and 1070s are a bit above 300. At this point in pascals life, I would not buy them new. Also, 500GB SSDs are well under $100 now, so the difference between 250 to 500 is about $30. So for a real world difference of about $200, Wal-mart is charging the consumer $500.

The only difference between the DTW2 and DTW3 is the GPU, and in the used market, 1080 Tis are anywhere from $100-150 more than a 1080 (again, I wouldn't buy a new pascal GPU at this point in their life span). Wal-mart is charging $200 more for the DTW3. This price difference is much better, however the original premise, that they are well priced, is based on an opinion, not a fact.

In order for these PCs to be a good deal, they have to be well priced when compared to other System Integrators (SIs). Wal-mart provides the least amount of customization between their pre-builts, when compared to sites like iBuyPower and CyberPower, they most likely use the cheapest parts (reference Gamers Nexus video), and they cost... well they cost meh.

So basically... You get exactly what the PCMR community expected (and exactly what Steve from GM said). A PC that is aimed at people who don't know what they're looking at, paying a price that they don't know whether or not it's a good deal, and using parts that are.. cheap. I believe you when you said it costs about the same to build your own, but it can be done using quality parts. A good PSU, a B360 full size ATX motherboard, dual channel RAM (wow what a novel idea), a case that has front panel USB 3.0 (lmao never though I'd say that in 2018). We all know it's crap, but the target audience doesn't.

edit: I'll just leave this here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7MyBYT

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

From what I saw in videos it seems the prices are around $300 above the retail price of individual components. Considering the company building these computers buys the parts in volume and get better prices than retail, there's quite a profit.

The cooler is just average, the motherboard (at least for the $1400 model) is not great, the case is just OK (only usb 2.0 ports on front panel? are we in 2015?) but they made it worse by replacing the plastic in front with glass chocking the front fans... the air flow is so bad the cpu throttles after some time because it overheats. 

And the psu is an OEM model from Great Wall which isn't really rated for 80+ bronze efficiency, isn't modular and doesn't even have sleeving to make the wires look nicer.

Motherboard uses 310 chipset which is using only DMI 5 GT/s to "talk" to the CPU, compared to DMI 3 8 GT/s, it has few usb 3.0 ports (they're using an adapter to connect the usb 3 header of motherboard to the back of the case)

And... it seems there's an issue with quality control ...Kyle from Bitwit got his computer with the pci-e 6pin loose, practically disconnected (so his computer would't have started) and Steve from Gamers Nexus order the $2100 model and they shipped the $1400 model to him.

Walmart grinds every penny out of their product suppliers.

They probably have child laborers in China working 18 hour days!

Just like they lock in their employee's in their stores during the night shift.

IMHO these should not be thinks loved or even liked by us already converted to PC gaming BUT they should be cheap and perform sufficiently enough to get those previously stuck on consoles to switch sides to join the PC family.

We want them to be a little bit rough around the edges to encourage a little tinkering down the line, maybe not right away but one day.

They should work out the box and the PSU shouldn’t die too soon for it to cause people to give up on PCs but a bit of problem solving when things go wrong is what hooked a lot of us onto the PC in the first place!

So I say don’t hate the product, have some faith in both the gamers and Walmart that they can finesse it to do what we all need or want it to do...

Bring those who would never have considered PC gaming to come join us, fall in love with this hobby and most importantly, have fun!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

7 hours ago, White_Buffalo7.3 said:

Walmart released there Over Powered PC's instantly to be hated by PCMR

To be very fair here, these were not designed for the PCMR. This is Walmart we're talking about. They wanted to break out of the mold of just being the place to grab a cheap crappy computer. And for their faults, I think this will do that for them. Their market is realistically parents with gamer/tech kids. Their 12 yr old is gonna say "I need one with at least a 1070, parent will nod and write that down cuz they don't know what that is, and they'll go to walmart cuz they heard walmart has gaming pcs. And even if the price isn't amazing, they wont shop around because there is a stigma that walmart has cheap computers, so they won't check amazon or best buy or newegg. They'll ask for a gaming pc with a 1070 and a nice walmart employee will show them the 3 options. I think walmart will take a significant market chunk from best buy and other electronics stores. What I'm looking forward to is seeing how they handle the next release of products. Will they have seen some tech reviewers and taken their advice or will they re-release with newer parts when they come out and not change the psu mobo or anything they don't have to?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Its a problem if the inconsistency is common enough because this targets people who don't know much about computers and they might not realize they paid too much for what they got (pay for gtx1080 and receive the 1070) but its good to make it easier on people to get their feet in the door cause Walmart is definitely more known by the common folk then iBuyPower or whatever other company that does all in one.

The guy in the video paid for a 32GB 1080ti system and got a 16GB with a 1070... Walmart is trash.

14 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

they wont shop around

Because of this, we should be outraged for the people who don't know they should be. Because they have no idea what they are buying, the PCMR needs to make people aware of the ripoff that these computers are.

They are overpriced with cheap components, but when it comes down to a kid getting a computer from his parents (neither of which know what they are doing) someone needs to make sure they are not getting completely ripped off. We all know that buying a prebuilt is not the best way to go about getting a computer for computer literate people, but it is for non computer literate people. They can pay the extra price for having a no hassle experience, but they shouldn't mistakenly buy complete garbage.

These people will be fine with a cheap GPU, locked CPU, single channel RAM, cheap PSU, but they won't know that the case is complete trash and will make their computer die faster.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018