Creating a Clonezilla Image on a Windows Hyper vm

Ive used Clonezilla to successfully restore my Windows 10 backup images when microsoft decides to break things with their updates.

i have never done a Clonezilla image load to a virtual machine. I have to pull a few files from an older image and dont want to go through loading it on a bare drive.

Is there a way to load a clonezilla backed up image, onto a vm ?

whats the best way to go about it using win10 ?

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your doing vms, Just use the img to make the vhd and run the vm from there. If you need backup or restore for vms, use checkpoints.

the image isnt vms friendly to my knowledge.

how do i create a drive from the zilla image?

can i create VM that is USB bootable ,THEN , store to a hard drive?

You could create a new VHD in the windows 10 disk management (More actions -> Create VHD) then restore the image to there. From there you could either mount the vhd in the VM and boot, or simply mount it in Win10 and browse to the files you need.

9 minutes ago, TheNick said:

You could create a new VHD in the windows 10 disk management (More actions -> Create VHD) then restore the image to there. From there you could either mount the vhd in the VM and boot, or simply mount it in Win10 and browse to the files you need.

I can't think of a way to restore the image to the VHD, CloneZilla doesn't have a program you can run from within windows as far as I am aware. You would need to run it from the boot disk. And I don't think CloneZilla supports VHD files, maybe I am wrong.

@AbeC916

Where is the CloneZilla image located? If it is on a USB drive then it should be easy just create a new VM with a virtual drive the same size or bigger as the physical drive the clonezilla image is of (hopefully that makes sense). Attached the USB drive to the VM and download and attached the ISO of clonezilla to the vm as well. Start up the vm do your normally clonezilla restore, and you should be done. You can boot into windows using the VM or you can shut it down and mount the VM VHD file using disk management. 

3 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

I can't think of a way to restore the image to the VHD, CloneZilla doesn't have a program you can run from within windows as far as I am aware. You would need to run it from the boot disk. And I don't think CloneZilla supports VHD files, maybe I am wrong.

@AbeC916

Where is the CloneZilla image located? If it is on a USB drive then it should be easy just create a new VM with a drive the same size as the original. Attached the USB drive to the VM and download and attached the ISO of clonezilla to the vm as well. Start up the vm do your normally clonezilla restore, and you should be done. You can boot into windows using the VM or you can shut it down and mount the VM VHD file using disk management. 

ive never seen CZ images supported by VHD

the CZ image is on a nas but can be moved to a USB.

correct me if im wrong 1. create a vm 2. have that vm boot to CZ software. 3. have the CZ image loaded to the Vm's drive

i know its overly simplified but just trying to get the idea in my head @Catsrules

6 minutes ago, AbeC916 said:

ive never seen CZ images supported by VHD

the CZ image is on a nas but can be moved to a USB.

correct me if im wrong 1. create a vm 2. have that vm boot to CZ software. 3. have the CZ image loaded to the Vm's drive

i know its overly simplified but just trying to get the idea in my head @Catsrules

Oh cool a NAS will work as well. I think believe the default VM network settings should allow you to connect to your NAS inside your VM provided your host computer is connected to the network that has the NAS :).

Nope it isn't over simplified at all that is exactly how you want to do it.

Edit,

Just remember make the VHD file bigger then the original physical drive. CloneZilla doesn't like to restore images to smaller drives it will give you an error. 

Image size 271 GB  ..

300GB VM drive size should be good?

11 minutes ago, AbeC916 said:

Image size 271 GB  ..

300GB VM drive size should be good?

It needs to be the same size or bigger as the drive/partition size of the drive that was imaged. (Sorry I don't think I am explaining this very well.)

For example if I imaged my 1TB hard drive that 1TB hard drive may only have 100GB of data on it the cloneZilla image will only be 100GB but CloneZilla will only let me restore that image to a 1TB drive. So whatever the drive size that image is of, you need to make the drive your restoring the image it the same or slightly bigger then original drive.

Again I don't think I am explaining it very well. Hopefully that make some sense.

ive got it set up so far but how do i get CZ to see the image ?

CZ usually looks for drives, and my NAS is only sharing through windows SMB as a mapped network location

my options seem to be an SSH, SAMBA, NFS WedDAV, or AWS S3 server location to read from

4 minutes ago, AbeC916 said:

ive got it set up so far but how do i get CZ to see the image ?

CZ usually looks for drives, and my NAS is only sharing through windows SMB as a mapped network location

my options seem to be an SSH, SAMBA, NFS WedDAV, or AWS S3 server location to read from

You want the SAMBA option. I would use the ip address of the NAS. 

ok soo i got to set up a samba server on my unraid nas ... brb

thanks for the help so far , btw @Catsrules

3 minutes ago, AbeC916 said:

ok soo i got to set up a samba server on my unraid nas ... brb

thanks for the help so far , btw @Catsrules

SMB, SAMBA and windows file share are basically all same thing, it is just called different names under different OS.

From the sound of it I think you already have that setup on your unraid nas correct?