Upgrading Ram

Danimates

Hello I'm going to add more ram to my pc (Hyperx predator) I'm wondering if the new sticks clock speed hast to be he same as the old stick? 

15 minutes ago, Danimates said:

Hello I'm going to add more ram to my pc (Hyperx predator) I'm wondering if the new sticks clock speed hast to be he same as the old stick? 

10 minutes ago, Slottr said:

No, but it will run at whatever speed the slowest module is at

In theory this would be correct, although there could be potential compatibility issues which could occur based on many factors such as the motherboard and other components and also the compatibility with your new RAM and any potential instability it may caused from variations in it compared to your current one. Although, assuming that there are none of those issues present, I agree with @Slottr in that the system would have its RAM speed set to the one of the lowest speed module or the slowest one. You can mix-and match RAM of different speeds although it could be bottle-necking the one/s which are of a higher speed. If you are buying new RAM then I would recommend getting the same type or of the same speed range at least so that you do not get bottle-necked or run into potential compatibility problems.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

When adding to existing ram or when upgrading current ram, the best thing you can do is check the mobo's website to see if the ram is on the QVL list for that motherboard.

24 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

In theory this would be correct, although there could be potential compatibility issues which could occur based on many factors such as the motherboard and other components and also the compatibility with your new RAM and any potential instability it may caused from variations in it compared to your current one. Although, assuming that there are none of those issues present, I agree with @Slottr in that the system would have its RAM speed set to the one of the lowest speed module or the slowest one. You can mix-and match RAM of different speeds although it could be bottle-necking the one/s which are of a higher speed. If you are buying new RAM then I would recommend getting the same type or of the same speed range at least so that you do not get bottle-necked or run into potential compatibility problems.

How do I check my Rams clock speed?

3 minutes ago, Danimates said:

These are usually advertised in the product boxes on on the modules directly through labeling, if not then you may have to search through the BIOS where it could be found possibly under the section which lists the components and details of your system's hardware configuration.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

6 minutes ago, Danimates said:

You could use a tool like CPU-Z or just go into the bios, where it will tell you all the information right there.

10 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

These are usually advertised in the product boxes on on the modules directly through labeling, if not then you may have to search through the BIOS where it could  be found possibly under the section which lists the components and details of your system's hardware configuration.

Would this be it?

Skype_Picture.jpeg

2 hours ago, Danimates said:

Would this be it?

Skype_Picture.jpeg

That should be it, it should also say it on the stick, it is not necessary for them to be identical but I would highly recommend it for optimal capability and to ensure that dual channel will run properly along with xmp

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

I was gonna get more of the same type of ram I have now. I bought my current stick from microcenter and when I put the sku number it says that its 2933mhz is it normal that on the bios its 2400mhz??

18 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

These are usually advertised in the product boxes on on the modules directly through labeling, if not then you may have to search through the BIOS where it could be found possibly under the section which lists the components and details of your system's hardware configuration.

Where Would I find it on Here

Skype_Picture.jpeg