Win 10 oem or Win 7?

2018amdbuild

Hi, am I able to get Windows 10 by purchasing just the Win 10 OEM key or something similar?

Also is it worth for me to upgrade? I currently use Win 7 and intend to do the following -

My intended usage -

My main uses for my system are as follows -

streaming at 1080p/60fps

Video editing for 1080p/60fps and 4k - these are mostly non gaming videos

2d motion graphics - think Adobe Animate and Adobe After Effects, to incorporate into videos

3d modelling/animation - via Blender

regular image editing - a dozen or so 1080p or 4k images a day

web development

videos/motion graphics/3D work -

Adobe Suite - in particular

- Premier Pro

- Animate

- Illustrator

- Photoshop

- After Effects

Davinci Resolve

Blender

for gaming whilst streaming at 1080p 60fps -

- some FPS/3rdPS such as Battlefield 5, Fortnite

- a lot of beat em ups, such as SF5, T7, SC6.

- some 2d axis games, e.g. hack and slash, MOBA, totalwar or EU series games

- whatever is coming out in the next few years, e.g. Cyberpunk 2077.

- indie titles

- would liek to be abel to play games coming within 1-3 years from now at max or high settings at above 60fps 1080p

- but most of the games i play are likely not to be gfx intensive, it would be a minority of the games (from this year only BF5, otherwise it was fortnite, moba's and strategy).

Don't even need to read your post...

There's zero legitimate reasons to run 7 over 10 and anyone who argues otherwise is simply hating for the sake of it.

Windows 10 beats Windows 7 in every single way and the stories of Microsoft harvesting personal data are hugely over exaggerated. Microsoft have listed exactly what data they collect on Windows 10 and it's nothing different to what any other tech company collects, the VAST majority of it is anonymous.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

There's zero legitimate reasons to run 7 over 10 and anyone who argues otherwise is simply hating for the sake of it.

I think my friend who had nothing but random lockups on 10 might disagree.

Windows 10 can be a real pain on older hardware due to (I suspect) driver issues.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

26 minutes ago, 2018amdbuild said:

Hi, am I able to get Windows 10 by purchasing just the Win 10 OEM key or something similar?

Also is it worth for me to upgrade? I currently use Win 7 and intend to do the following -

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Windows 10 beats Windows 7 in every single way and the stories of Microsoft harvesting personal data are hugely over exaggerated. Microsoft have listed exactly what data they collect on Windows 10 and it's nothing different to what any other tech company collects, the VAST majority of it is anonymous.

I agree with @Master Disaster,Go with windows 10.Newer CPUs doesnt support windows 7 and MS support(security updates) for win 7 will end with 1-2 years.

7 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I think my friend who had nothing but random lockups on 10 might disagree.

Windows 10 can be a real pain on older hardware due to (I suspect) driver issues.

Then you're friend has a very specific case because in my experience, it a system will run Windows 7 then it will also run Windows 10 and it will be faster doing it too.

I'm going to wager your friend probably upgraded his 8 year old Windows 7 machine thats never been formatted once in its life then was surprised when it didn't work properly.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Use windows 10.

You don't need to buy a new copy, just upgrade your version to windows 10 (and then do a full clean install) or if you have the windows 7 key still just do a clean install and activate windows 10 with the 7 key.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Then you're friend has a very specific case because in my experience, it a system will run Windows 7 then it will also run Windows 10 and it will be faster doing it too.

I'm going to wager your friend probably upgraded his 8 year old Windows 7 machine thats never been formatted once in its life then was surprised when it didn't work properly.

He did a complete fresh install.

I have found odd issues with 10 too on fresh installs.  I upgraded my mums machine to 10 and it was fine, but when I did a fresh install to upgrade her to an SSD it not no longer turns off when you shut it down.  I'd blame drivers, but then why did it work after the upgrade?  I think it even worked after my first fresh install, it was a later version of 10 that broke it as the first SSD died so I had to install again.

I use 10 all the time on my laptop and for gaming, but there is no denying it has way more issues than 7 because its in such a constant state of flux with poor QA testing (they basically are forcing insiders to do it).

I'd still encourage people to go 10 for the security updates going into the future and like you said its usually faster, but denying it has issues is silly.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

13 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

He did a complete fresh install.

I have found odd issues with 10 too on fresh installs.  I upgraded my mums machine to 10 and it was fine, but when I did a fresh install to upgrade her to an SSD it not no longer turns off when you shut it down.  I'd blame drivers, but then why did it work after the upgrade?  I think it even worked after my first fresh install, it was a later version of 10 that broke it as the first SSD died so I had to install again.

I use 10 all the time on my laptop and for gaming, but there is no denying it has way more issues than 7 because its in such a constant state of flux with poor QA testing (they basically are forcing insiders to do it).

I'd still encourage people to go 10 for the security updates going into the future and like you said its usually faster, but denying it has issues is silly.

Yeah. Im actually going to relent a little here and admit I have encountered some quirks with Windows 10 myself. I generally put them down to Microsofts constant meddling and most of the time they're totally harmless.

In actual fact I have encountered the same bug on my own computer, you shut it down and Windows closes but the PC doesn't turn off. That one resolved itself after a few weeks for me.

I still stand by my post though, there's no legitimate reason to be running 7 over 10 these days.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Windows 10 beats Windows 7 in every single way (...)

Except better/faster autostart programs run (async). :)

And except better user control over services.

And except cleaning old windows installation files time (but maybe win10 do something more that needs so long to complete this task).

And except updates that have less surprises in win7 (you don't must change the same settings because of updates).

But yes - win10 is newer so it should be used on new machines.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:26 AM, Master Disaster said:

Yeah. Im actually going to relent a little here and admit I have encountered some quirks with Windows 10 myself. I generally put them down to Microsofts constant meddling and most of the time they're totally harmless.

In actual fact I have encountered the same bug on my own computer, you shut it down and Windows closes but the PC doesn't turn off. That one resolved itself after a few weeks for me.

I still stand by my post though, there's no legitimate reason to be running 7 over 10 these days.

I think constant blue screens is a legitimate reason.  Now on a NEW PC that has full driver support, fair point.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:39 PM, Master Disaster said:

I disagree with that post for these reasons:

"It turns out that Microsoft’s operating system follows about every step you take on your computer. That results in an intrusive profile of yourself. What does that mean? Do people know about this, do they want this? Microsoft needs to give users a fair opportunity to decide about this themselves." - Wilbert Tomesen, vice-chairman of the Dutch DPA

At the minimum data-harvesting setting in Windows 10, Microsoft collects data from these over-3,500 individual data-points, and from more that aren't listed in Microsoft's documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/privacy/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields-1809

So, The amount of data that Microsoft harvest in Windows 10 is enormous, even at the minimum setting.

None of the data that Microsoft harvests in Windows 10 is anonymous. Microsoft was lying by conniving when they said otherwise, and were meaning that your data is associated with a unique (to you) system, network, and Windows account ID rather than your personal name - although, your name will be among the data that is harvested.

"In our full report (only available in Dutch unfortunately), we deal extensively with the points of forced install. We also explain why all the telemetry data collected by Microsoft are indeed personal data, and certainly not anonymous, regardless of the view of MS that they would only relate to the system/be 'mere' technical data." - The Dutch DPA in an email to me

You can see some of the identifiers that Microsoft tags all harvested data with in this post:

At a minimum, it is tagged with unique identifiers for your network, your specific computer or device, the software running on that device, and your specific Windows account so that the person who was logged in and using the computer to generate a particular piece of data is known by Microsoft.

I personally find Windows 7 to be highly advantageous over Windows 10 when it comes to stability and reliability, for stress-free operation, and also in some cases for gaming.

A Windows 7 key simultaneously counts and works as a Windows 10 key, and so a Windows 7 key is better than a Windows 10 key by default. And a non-OEM Windows 7 / 10 key is much better than a Windows 10 OEM key.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987