i7-8700 = 4.30 Ghz on all six-cores (Turboboost)

m0k

I’m writing this partly out of frustration, but mostly to inform/educate potential buyers – people who are interested in buying a new CPU and are on a tight budget - and may benefit from buying the intel I7-8700 as opposed to an overclockable I7-8700K. EDIT::: and/or if you need something that runs quiet and cool / doesnt consume much power.

Right off the bat, there’s vast savings to be had by purchasing a regular i7-8700 – you don’t need to invest in a higher end z370 motherboard and you don’t need to purchase an aftermarket CPU cooler.

I had already read this article from Gamers Nexus which mentioned the Intel Coffee Lake turbo behaviour in a easy to read chart – (see below).

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077-explaining-coffee-lake-turbo-8700k-8600k

Intel Coffee Lake Turbo Behavior

i7-8700K

i7-8700

i5-8600K

i5-8400

i3-8350K

i3-8100

6C/12T

6C/12T

6C/6T

6C/6T

4C/4T

4C/4T

Intel Turbo Spec

1C: 4.7GHz

1C: 4.6GHz

1C: 4.3GHz

1C: 4.0GHz

4GHz Locked

3.6GHz Locked

2C: 4.6GHz

2C: 4.5GHz

2-4C: 4.2GHz

2-4C: 3.9GHz

3C: 4.5GHz

3C: 4.4GHz

5-6C: 4.1GHz

5-6C: 3.8GHz

4-5C: 4.4GHz

4-6C: 4.3GHz

6C: 4.3GHz

TLDR: under a full six core load on the CPU, the maximum turbo speed on all six cores = 4.30 GHz.
Intel’s spec for the 8700 is a 65W TDP but this is only for the base clock of 3.2 GHz. See the Wendell’s video where he goes on to mention that as soon as turbo boost kicks in that TDP can go much higher, in this case on all six cores as per Intel XTU as well, it can go up to 115W.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFhVo8-UfM

SO…with all the knowledge I knew that needed to purchase a new CPU, new Motherboard, and new RAM (as my old pc was a DDR3 based platform) and everything else I can re-use form my old pc. For the CPU knew I would benefit from the hyperthreading when working in premiere pro, and I knew the single core turbo of 4.6ghz would benefit me in adobe lightroom and other tasks in the OS in general.

I was concerned that the 115W TDP under full boost may cause issues with lower end H310 and B360 motherboards and mediocre looking VRMs – so I started asking reviewers on amazon if they were able to hit the 4.3ghz 6core turbo without any issues….And literally every single response I got was something along the lines of: 
 “no you idiot, you can not overclock the I7-8700, if you want higher clock speeds on all 6 cores, then get the i7-8700K and Z370 motherboard”

Great….thanks captain obvious (unfortunately I received similar responses on the LTT forums)

So anyways I bit the bullet as I didn’t see any mention of people complaining about not being able to hit turbo speeds. So, I went ahead and bought the MSI B360i ITX motherboard with an I7-8700 – and guess what, Gamers Nexus and Wendell from Lvl1tech were right. I was able to hit the 4.30 Ghz on all 6 cores with ease, (on the stock cooler)
Now I personally wasn’t happy with the noise under load of the stock intel cooler. So I picked up a hyper 212 Evo.

In conclusion my system: I7 8700, B360 mobo, 16GB ram, GTX 1060 6GB = I am happily able to max out all modern games at 1080p and can easily work with the large RAW files from my Sony A7iii with ease in the adobe suite.  And I did not have to shell out more money for parts that ran hotter and consumed more power.

image.thumb.png.20d5d2fae6dcd7a7babbc9dbae6758f9.png

Photography / Finance / Gaming

I'm a bit of a scatter-brain so i apologize if this post has terrible flow and grammar issues

Dope post. I have the same CPU with an H7 and I set the windows power limit to max performance and I've had 4.3 on all cores 24/7. I got the H7 on that one Newegg sale like a few months back and I don't get more than like 65c under load so it's been a great run :)

poop

7 minutes ago, IdiotPenguin said:

Dope post. I have the same CPU with an H7 and I set the windows power limit to max performance and I've had 4.3 on all cores 24/7. I got the H7 on that one Newegg sale like a few months back and I don't get more than like 65c under load so it's been a great run :)

Thanks, i really hope more people see this before they run out and spend money on the K-sku chips. 

The only downside to using my B360 mobo is that i cant undervolt the I7-8700, i feel like 1.24v is a little unnecessary.
Since you have a Z370 mobo, and if you have spare time, let me know if you can run the cpu at a lower voltage under full boost

22 hours ago, mok said:

-snip-

what were your temps with the stock cooler ? I currently got my 4th gen stock cooler on the 8700 cause it has a copper base and the 8th gen stock cooler does not and I'm hitting 100 degree in gaming

4 minutes ago, shooter2749 said:

what were your temps with the stock cooler ? I currently got my 4th gen stock cooler on the 8700 cause it has a copper base and the 8th gen stock cooler does not and I'm hitting 100 degree in gaming

In my Define R5 case with the stock intel cooler i was getting temps of 85-95 under full load - But i was never thermal throttling. 
If i were you, i would go into the bios at reduce the turboboost to 4.00 ghz which should really help with the temps - or even disable intel turboboost until you can afford to upgrade you cpu cooler.

in my own testing i was able to max out all my games on the stock 3.2ghz with turboboost disabled. 

This is how turbo boost works.

My i5-7300hq laptop runs at 3.1ghz (all core boost) 24/7 when the base clock is only 2.5ghz.  If cooling is an issue (over ~100c) it will drop back to base clocks.  If the VRM gets too hot, clocks drop as well.  Under AVX load your clocks will also drop AFAIK.

You are not overclocking.

If you want to undervolt, get Intel XTU.

I don't get the point with this thread: OP is saying they got the speeds Intel said they would. Umm, okay...?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I don't get the point with this thread: OP is saying they got the speeds Intel said they would. Umm, okay...?

He's indicating people who are on the Amazon Q&A section, as well as users on the LTT forum, are not familiar with how Turbo Boost 2.0 works.

Intel simply indicates a 3.2 GHz Base Clock, and a maximum Turbo Boost of 4.6 GHz.

You can't really blame the though; Intel doesn't obviously outline the boost frequencies when various amounts of cores are active.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

20 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

This is how turbo boost works.

My i5-7300hq laptop runs at 3.1ghz (all core boost) 24/7 when the base clock is only 2.5ghz.  If cooling is an issue (over ~100c) it will drop back to base clocks.  If the VRM gets too hot, clocks drop as well.  Under AVX load your clocks will also drop AFAIK.

You are not overclocking.

If you want to undervolt, get Intel XTU.

i never made the claim that i was overclocking

19 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I made this post because everyone assumed i was trying to overclock when really i was just asking questions about the all-core turbo speeds to which everyone said i was wrong and told me to spend more for a K part.

Hi

The Gamers Nexus article is about multi core enhancement. With it on voltage is high but you can get the same result with lower voltage overclocking manually.

To give you an example, my i7 8086k with 5ghz on all cores needs 1.488 v using multi core enhancement. My manual overclock at 5ghz on all cores uses 1.344 v. Stock is 1.280 v.

The reason for the article was that some youtube testers were not aware that it is on by default on ASUS z boards and it skewed the results. I thought this strange because multi core enhancement has been set to default on ASUS boards since the Z170. 

I think this video is more about your subject. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

3 hours ago, jones177 said:

unfortunately i cant undervolt on the B360 chipset motherboard

I tried using Intel XTU but it doesnt seem to hold the setting after a restart

its not an issue for me, temps never go over 65c and i keep the power profile in Balanced mode, so it underclocks on idle

8 hours ago, mok said:

its not an issue for me, temps never go over 65c and i keep the power profile in Balanced mode, so it underclocks on idle

XTU modifies processor registers, basic settings will not persist beyond a reboot unless you tell the program to load at startup & load a profile.  It works like MSI Afterburner.

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

XTU modifies processor registers, basic settings will not persist beyond a reboot unless you tell the program to load at startup & load a profile.  It works like MSI Afterburner.

thats odd because on my old dell laptop my intel XTU profile persists without having to boot into XTU after every restart
IM curious, for the profile to stay persistent do i also need to enable XTU to boot on startup ? or just the profile on startup ?

Profile on startup should do it, It just wont load the GUI.

Some boards will have the settings persist if they have the provisions in the BIOS to do so.  Most systems I have messed with do not get persistence of settings.

On 10/13/2018 at 8:03 PM, mok said:

Thanks, i really hope more people see this before they run out and spend money on the K-sku chips. 

The people looking at the k series aren't going for 4.3Ghz though. They will be aiming for around 5Ghz. You actually get less performance than the way intel markets it on the non k sku. They market it as being able to turbo to 4.6, which most uninformed consumers would probably expect all cores to run at 4.6 even though it's only 1 core that will. I think this post might be informational to some, but not in the way you were expecting. Most people who buy the k series wont be running at stock speed, so I'm not really sure what you are trying to point out here.

17 minutes ago, swordsm3n said:

The people looking at the k series aren't going for 4.3Ghz though.Most people who buy the k series wont be running at stock speed, so I'm not really sure what you are trying to point out here.

Even with my shitty cooler (120mm AIO), I'd still be trying for above stock on a K-skew.

OC 200-400Mhz+ on all cores similar to where Turbo would sit or surpassing it in performance by some margins, every little bit helps.

Point is fair valid, bigger budgets have better cooling, aiming for higher clocks. But even lowend cooler users,...will have a crack at overclocking further.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

• 6 months later...

if you buy an oem system you will get limited down to 3.7 or so.  you have to use intel xtu to unlock them.  had to do this with a friends oem hp omen.  he didnt talk to me before he bought.  friends dont let friends buy rprebuilt

8700nonk is a great value if you aren't going to OC.

Boost table is effectively identical as the k.

My 870/k at stock always ran at 4.3ghz all the time, 4.7 never happened

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2018 at 1:34 PM, mok said:

sir can you upload some pictures of your bios settings, my temps are very high.thanks

On 5/8/2019 at 10:37 PM, Plutosaurus said:

8700nonk is a great value if you aren't going to OC.

Boost table is effectively identical as the k.

My 870/k at stock always ran at 4.3ghz all the time, 4.7 never happened

sir can you upload some pictures of your bios settings, my temps are very high.thanks

On 10/14/2018 at 6:59 AM, IdiotPenguin said:

On 10/13/2018 at 7:51 PM, mok said:

I'm a bit of a scatter-brain so i apologize if this post has terrible flow and grammar issues

Post was informative af, and I thought it was formatted very well. People do often gloss over the non-K SKUs, but on the 8700 you only lose 100MHz at each turbo step compared to the 8700K. So if you won't or can't (due to heat concerns or something) OC, the 8700 is a damn good value. I have an i5 8400 I should use more too, may sell some other stuff and get parts to make an mITX setup with it. What speed are you running your RAM at as well? I have an H310 mATX mobo for that i5 right now, haven't bothered to pull some of my 3200MHz RAM from my main rig to test, only other stuff I have on hand is 2400Mhz. I've seen some articles saying the lower chipsets don't even support XMP or something like that, I'd really like to run 3200MHz stuff but not need to buy a Z series board. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Post was informative af, and I thought it was formatted very well. People do often gloss over the non-K SKUs, but on the 8700 you only lose 100MHz at each turbo step compared to the 8700K. So if you won't or can't (due to heat concerns or something) OC, the 8700 is a damn good value. I have an i5 8400 I should use more too, may sell some other stuff and get parts to make an mITX setup with it. What speed are you running your RAM at as well? I have an H310 mATX mobo for that i5 right now, haven't bothered to pull some of my 3200MHz RAM from my main rig to test, only other stuff I have on hand is 2400Mhz. I've seen some articles saying the lower chipsets don't even support XMP or something like that, I'd really like to run 3200MHz stuff but not need to buy a Z series board. 

It's not even 100mhz difference..assuming adequate cooling and real life tasks both the k and non k will run at 4.3ghz.

The can't actually remember any scenario where the k got to 4.7ghz, and it was always at 4.3ghz

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 10/13/2018 at 9:51 PM, mok said:

no you idiot, you can not overclock the I7-8700,

Excuse me?

jZuE8vN.jpg

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)