I'm at my wits end..

Cwazywazy

Windows 8.1 x64.. I think my specs are still in my sig.

Yesterday it randomly crashed and when it tries to boot normally it goes through the booting screen but before the login screen I get a bunch of vertical green lines on my main monitor and the other one is blank. Completely frozen. Safe mode works totally fine, I'm using it to write this. Tried disabling all the startup services in msconfig and nothing. Stopped all startup applications, reset BIOS, uninstalled GPU drivers, took out one GPU, reseated RAM, etc. Nothing but safe mode works. Windows startup repair doesn't do shit. I had to burn and use an 8.1 install disk to try startup repair because when I try to use the one in the OS it requires my password and then says it's wrong. I even made a second admin account with the password "ass" and it still said it was wrong. Finally broke down and hit system refresh, and guess what. Requires my password but says it's wrong when it ain't fuckin wrong.

I'm about two seconds from going to buy a Mac.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

2 minutes ago, Cwazywazy said:

Well it has been two minutes so... guess we can close this ticket? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Cwazywazy said:

Windows 8.1 x64.. I think my specs are still in my sig.

Yesterday it randomly crashed and when it tries to boot normally it goes through the booting screen but before the login screen I get a bunch of vertical green lines on my main monitor and the other one is blank. Completely frozen. Safe mode works totally fine, I'm using it to write this. Tried disabling all the startup services in msconfig and nothing. Stopped all startup applications, reset BIOS, uninstalled GPU drivers, took out one GPU, reseated RAM, etc. Nothing but safe mode works. Windows startup repair doesn't do shit. I had to burn and use an 8.1 install disk to try startup repair because when I try to use the one in the OS it requires my password and then says it's wrong. I even made a second admin account with the password "ass" and it still said it was wrong. Finally broke down and hit system refresh, and guess what. Requires my password but says it's wrong when it ain't fuckin wrong.

uhh... maybe it just died? that sounds really crazy dude im pressing F for you 

So first of all, a system refresh is not the same as a clean install.

You should be doing a clean install from a USB to fix those issues.

Second, why are you still on 8?

Switch to 10 already, it's 2018.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

So first of all, a system refresh is not the same as a clean install.

You should be doing a clean install from a USB to fix those issues.

Second, why are you still on 8?

Switch to 10 already, it's 2018.

Windows 10 is fucking retarded. I used it for a year. I get literally nothing out of the new stuff it offers and it's been way more problematic than 8.1.

Plus 10 takes eons to boot.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

$200 Volvo 245

Just now, Cwazywazy said:

Windows 10 is fucking retarded. I used it for a year. I get literally nothing out of the new stuff it offers and it's been way more problematic than 8.1.

Have you tried linux ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

Have you tried linux ?

Funny.

$200 Volvo 245

5 minutes ago, Cwazywazy said:

It's faster than previous OSes and also is not problematic at all when installed correctly.

Sounds like you didn't clean install it properly, maybe you just upgraded from 7 or 8 or did something else wrong.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I did upgrade from 8, but regardless I hate all the spying crap that it comes with. Cortana is one shifty lookin bitch.

$200 Volvo 245

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's faster than previous OSes and also is not problematic at all when installed correctly.

Unless you have it installed on a HDD like me (kill me, please?, this is one of the main reasons why my computer never turns off ?)

16 minutes ago, Cwazywazy said:

Funny.

Not Funny, depending on what you use your computer for it is 100% logical. Based on your specs you play games and depending on the the games they actually run good on Linux.

Yeah, depending on the games. My most played game is call of duty 1. 

$200 Volvo 245

@Cwazywazy I really shouldn't be posting here, since I swore to not post on the forums again until 4K rep. However, I see that no one has actually attempted to assist you in recovering your Windows installation :( (looks more like trolling happened). Your choice of OS is not the primary issue IMO. Can you pull up Event Viewer, and see what occured around the time of the initial crash? Do you have any memory dumps? To simplify troubleshooting, please remove all peripherals/unnecessary devices (leave only what's required to boot and display an image on screen). CPU, RAM (all 16GB), both GPUs, and your primary volume (disk that Windows is installed to) can stay for these tests.

I am also assuming that you either have a backup, or can create a backup of important files at this point (I have created backups in situations like this - it's difficult). If you haven't already done so, copy any important files that you can to a secondary drive, just in case you end up starting from a fresh install. Also be sure to write down your current Windows license key somewhere safe, in case you need to reactivate Windows for any reason (it can happen - trust me). After each test/step, try booting into the normal Windows environment, to test for changes.

For preliminary testing, try the following:

• disable on-board audio - just in case that's somehow causing issues (leave it this way for the remainder of the tests listed)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic
  • Check Disk utility (CMD)
  • Deployment Image Servicing and Management
  • System File Checker (CMD)

If you receive any errors please post them in a comment below, for further analysis. The tests above will have checked for issues with RAM, attached drive(s), the OS image itself, and system files. If nothing is found there, proceed to what I have listed next, to narrow down the possibilities:

• test the system with only 4GB RAM, the primary OS drive, and one GPU
  • same as above, but switch to another GPU (still with only primary drive)
  • try a different CPU if nothing changes (assuming you have a spare)

2 hours ago, Cwazywazy said:

Funny.

how ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

@TopHatProductions115 You forgot one more thing, PSU. which can cause issues if it is dying, damaged (from a surge) or a cheap/old unit.

To me it more sounds like a software issue if it isn't the PSU. Sadly the board doesn't have a internal GPU to remove both GPUs.

Also backing things up is actually quite easy (assuming you have not encrypted your users folder) with a live disk of your fav flavor of linux, which is why regardless how much you hate Linux you should always have a disc of it, it has a ram tool and the ability of getting files off your system w/o risking any further damage.

19 hours ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

@Cwazywazy I really shouldn't be posting here, since I swore to not post on the forums again until 4K rep. However, I see that no one has actually attempted to assist you in recovering your Windows installation :( (looks more like trolling happened). Your choice of OS is not the primary issue IMO. Can you pull up Event Viewer, and see what occured around the time of the initial crash? Do you have any memory dumps? To simplify troubleshooting, please remove all peripherals/unnecessary devices (leave only what's required to boot and display an image on screen). CPU, RAM (all 16GB), both GPUs, and your primary volume (disk that Windows is installed to) can stay for these tests.

I am also assuming that you either have a backup, or can create a backup of important files at this point (I have created backups in situations like this - it's difficult). If you haven't already done so, copy any important files that you can to a secondary drive, just in case you end up starting from a fresh install. Also be sure to write down your current Windows license key somewhere safe, in case you need to reactivate Windows for any reason (it can happen - trust me). After each test/step, try booting into the normal Windows environment, to test for changes.

For preliminary testing, try the following:

• disable on-board audio - just in case that's somehow causing issues (leave it this way for the remainder of the tests listed)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic
  • Check Disk utility (CMD)
  • Deployment Image Servicing and Management
  • System File Checker (CMD)

If you receive any errors please post them in a comment below, for further analysis. The tests above will have checked for issues with RAM, attached drive(s), the OS image itself, and system files. If nothing is found there, proceed to what I have listed next, to narrow down the possibilities:

• test the system with only 4GB RAM, the primary OS drive, and one GPU
  • same as above, but switch to another GPU (still with only primary drive)
  • try a different CPU if nothing changes (assuming you have a spare)

Bit late, I fucked everything up and reinstalled windows. New problem is it crashes whenever I try to install AMD drivers.

$200 Volvo 245