Soldering Iron Suggestions

kittyducky06

I dont know if this is the right form or the right category but i figured im using it for electronics so maby it will go under this category and form. I need recommendations for a soldering iron for light work, mainly removing and replacing capacitors and such.

Either the TS100 or TS80 would be good choices for such stuff; small, efficient, with great tips and good build-quality. Perfect for working with the small stuff.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If you plan on longer soldering jobs get a station.
If you only plan to do like small jobs get a 30Watt iron.

But those irons you cant leave laying around, even in a stand. Unless they are temprature controlled.

But also shed some light on what kind of jobs as for smd going over 20 Watt can make it harder (heats up to quick) but if you plan to do bigger stuff you will need more Wattage. (If you are using non-temprature controlled iron)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, James Evens said:

I would call it a benefit. It allows you to run the iron on a lower temp or using it as a general purpose iron at higher temps. More important for SMD work can be the right tip.

Agreed, i should have specified i was talking about non temprature controlled irons on that one.

thank you for all the suggestions and all i am removing is large capacitors like this * s-l300_15ba48ae-b0b8-4506-8ea2-49a92bc46 and liquefying a sodding join to bridge a connection with a wire.

But anything will be beater that what i am using because i put together mine with a old transformer and a piece of scrap metel.

1 minute ago, kittyducky06 said:

thank you for all the suggestions and all i am removing is large capacitors like this * -snip- and liquefying a sodding join to bridge a connection with a wire.

Then just get a cheap 30Watt solder iron. Should be enough for the job and nice and cheap.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:56 PM, James Evens said:

Is there any legitimated point why non temperature controlled irons are still a thing? Even the crapy 15€ china soldering stations are temperature controlled.

TS80 (successor of the TS100) is overkill for your needs and also need a additional power source. I am still rocking a 50W Weller magnastat. Not the best but it works for these jobs (surprisingly still running for 50€ on ebay). Anything equivalent should work.  So even something like a yihua 937 should work. But don't expect safe wiring inside the station and perfect temperature control.

When you try to desolder apply fresh solder or flux.

Well ive seen those 30Watters without temp-control for 5 bucks in the bargain bin. So they at least cheap.
But personly i use a station cus sometimes i solder hours on end, and you dont want that with some cheapo. (which in truth i actualy did).

Hakko make good stuff.

Station if you want to splash out, just a corded one otherwise.