Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
palespartan

LTT Official Folding Month 2018!!!

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 10/12/2018 at 10:00 PM, SansVarnic said:

Maybe, I've attempted to oc the memory but it seems to be locked down. It wont hold any higher than this.

Folding workloads lock the card into a p2 state. I had the same issue on my 970s but though that it was fixed for 10 series since my 1080ti lets me oc still. There are solutions for linux to make it not drop to the p2 state but I don't know for windows. With my 970s I heavily bios modded them anyways so adding the mem oc was no extra trouble.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:35 PM, RKarim said:

Rip. I get my new computer on December 2nd...

Fold on whatever you have now. All the more reason to abuse the crap out of it if your replacing it anyways right?

On 10/14/2018 at 9:38 PM, straight_stewie said:

Sorry for my absence the past few months. After working full time I just haven't had the energy to get on the forum and do what I like to do. Count me in for 24/7 folding on 2x GTX 760 Ti's, with around 8 hours a day of folding on a 960m. For the record, I haven't signed up yet as I've forgotten my folding username, but I know how to solve that. Additionally, my folding machine went kaput at the end of the Folding Week, and I never bothered to look at it. I'll get it running and compete.

Thank you, @palespartan for having the good memory to tag me in the OP, otherwise I would have never known.

No problem. Glad we got you in somehow.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:35 AM, Gorgon said:

Signed on.  Do the participants with testosterone have to grow facial hair for Movember as well 😀 Now that would irritate she who must be obeyed.

Thanks for the tip about the memory clock offsets increasing the points per day.  I’ll have to take my cards off-line and run FAHBench and retest the men clocks and GPU clock offsets more thoroughly. Just goes to show you can’t trust the common advice and should test and verify.

I find if you can survive running a OpenMM 21 WU (I.e. 11713, 11720 etc) for five minutes without crashing with a card that is already heat soaked then you should be good.

i believe the binaries are available for Windows for FAHBench. The Linux is a bit confusing to install but I can provide the steps for Ubuntu if needed. So I have to use Nvidia-smi to make adjustments but I have the systems monitored with Zabbix so I can graph what’s going on.

And yes, I found with both my 1060s and 1070ti that running at 10 or 20w above the minimum card power level produces just 15 less PPD than at full power. So If you have marginal power available, insane electricity rates or live down under this should help.

This is kind of my attempt at helping without having to shave my beard at the beginning of the month so facial hair is optional. lol. For the mem offsets if you want to do it the lazy way its usually safe to just dial the mem clock to whatever it goes to for a 3d load with no overclock. I personally just let my cards fold until they crash though to test my overclocks.

On 10/12/2018 at 3:29 PM, Ben Quigley said:

Right guys, so a little update on behalf of @palespartan.

Badges: With this event there are two new badges being introduced by the forum. One is the founder badge, and this badge is to be even to everyone who reaches the minimum participation requirements. The other is a tiered badge system much like the current ones for folding but for number of qualifying events you have taken part in.

Minimum Requirements: In order to ensure a fair and open event there have been a few requirements added, these are very basic and as such everyone should be able to hit them. 100k points total over the month, a minimum of 15 days participation with a minimum of 15WUs submitted. This means you need to submit one WU per day for 15 days minimum. 

Sign-up Deadline: Due to the way we are recording points all participants must be signed-up by the 6th of November, anyone who signs up after this date will not be included in the competition.

Thank you so much for this post. I will work on getting it into the original post by the end of the day.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

Got two GPUs on test right now, a 1070, and a RX 580. What's the relative performance red vs green? Actually, how about pascal vs maxwell vs polaris vs vega? Both in ppd and points per watt? I know, where's Google?

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, G.Skill TridentZ 3000C14 2x8GB, Asus 1080 Ti Strix OC, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 2600, Noctua D9L, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 2x4GB, Vega 56, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, Crucial MX300 525GB, Acer RT280K

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6600k stock, Silverstone TD03-E, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-7800X, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700HQ, i5-6600k, i5-5675C, i5-4570S, i3-8350k, i3-6100, i3-4360, 2x i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, R7 1700, 1600

53 minutes ago, porina said:

Got two GPUs on test right now, a 1070, and a RX 580. What's the relative performance red vs green? Actually, how about pascal vs maxwell vs polaris vs vega? Both in ppd and points per watt? I know, where's Google?

It is far from perfect but this is still my go-to:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/475163-gpu-projects-ppd-database.html

As a general rule, in the past it seemed that folding strongly favoured nvidia cards but looking at these again, there doesn't seem to be much bias.  One thing you should note is that (strangely) PPD seems to be proportional to gaming performance, not to raw compute power in TFLOPS.  This isn't a perfect correlation by any means, but it does exist to some extent or the AMD cards would be scoring way higher than they are.

4 hours ago, palespartan said:

That’s a little too cowboy for my OCD 🙂

I am, after all putting a feature request int Github to the FAHBench developer to request a quiet switch to suppress its output so I can script testing performance.

I’d have to install a GUI or boot to windows from another partition to even try out a 3D application 8-)

Im too old to game anymore so my reflexes are shot so my main windows machine has a FirePro W4100 which does what I need it to do and my eldest absconded to university with the kids gaming rig so I can test it there (but I did make sure it had a gigabit 1060 in it and not one of MY EVGAs 😉

Also I don’t want to submit too many failed WUs.

I’ll just start dialling up the memory in 100MHz steps and run FAHBench until it starts to fail the likely dial it down a bit as I’ve noticed that some WUs are more sensitive than others.

With GPU overclocks I’ve also noted that some overclocks work fine at low power limits but fail when folding at the maximum power settings.

I am in ;). I hope to get my hands on my new 1080ti until then to rly crunch some numbers.

We are a very small subform. I think we should get more attention here and get more people into folding. There are sooo many fast PCs surfing on LTT. They have to bet used!

Count me in on 1x i5 8259U 10/day NACL

2x R9 290X 16h/day

1x i7 4770k 15h/day

You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!

-John Lennon

18 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

I am in ;). I hope to get my hands on my new 1080ti until then to rly crunch some numbers.

We are a very small subform. I think we should get more attention here and get more people into folding. There are sooo many fast PCs surfing on LTT. They have to bet used!

Count me in on 1x i5 8259U 10/day NACL

2x R9 290X 16h/day

1x i7 4770k 15h/day

WELCOME ABOARD! Don't forget to sign up on the first post. If you have any questions please do feel free to reach out.

The Brewery - My Folding Stats

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB)
  • GPU
    RX VEGA 64, GTX 980 ti, GTX 980, GTX 970
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Crucial BX200 240GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA 850 GQ x2
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Old Dell 17"(portrait)
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED