LTT Official Folding Month 2018!!!

Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

I figured I would take advantage of the fact this post hasn't been locked yet to spread the word about this years folding month.

Folding month 2019!!

See the thread for detail and don't forget to spread the word!!!

@leadeater you can now lock this one.

-Thanks

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

The issue is then it gets too cold hahaha. My window is 2 metres tall... 

With practice you will find the perfect amount open to balance the temperature, even as outside conditions change :D  Of course you will want less of a gap at -30°C than at 15°C

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, palespartan said:

If you aren't currently overclocked try out some really basic and stable ones to start and see the points difference it can make. But I have heard that AMD cards don't have as much to gain with OCing compared to what you can do by downclocking for power savings.

at the moment I am downvolting my cards to save some power and not sweat my b. of when I am next to my pc. But ill give OCing another shot. I heard mem clock is where the PPD is at with most cards?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Well... She's a tight squeeze but it's all in there. PS this is the case I found in a skip(dumpster) and Dremeled out to 140mm holes haha.

IMG_20181027_144538692.jpg

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

-snip-

Idd stick a exhaust fan in there. Most of those cases get fairly toasty. Or just leave it open and remove the accumulated dust every few days

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Idd stick a exhaust fan in there. Most of those cases get fairly toasty. Or just leave it open and remove the accumulated dust every few days

The psu is the exhaust, it has another intake on the side. I've been running this for a while, it's always been fine. I've just slid the other GPU in there.... But I think it's dead. :(

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

The psu is the exhaust, it has another intake on the side. I've been running this for a while, it's always been fine. I've just slid the other GPU in there.... But I think it's dead. :(

What GPU is it? 
And is this PSU enough for exhaust ?. Well ok I am used to corsair PSUs, wich have super low fan speeds, wich would never be enough 

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

What GPU is it? 
And is this PSU enough for exhaust ?. Well ok I am used to corsair PSUs, wich have super low fan speeds, wich would never be enough 

It's under super possitive pressure, the airflow is enough to get rid of the heat. It's a GTX 960 one had laying about forever.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

37 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Do you have these two in the same system?

980 and 1080ti in one yeah.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

That will make a pretty decent PPD ;) 

What do you have on the top slot? I have my 980 on the top slot and for some reason the 1080Ti is not detected in Windows, HWMonitor but the Folding Client can see it.

5 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

What do you have on the top slot? I have my 980 on the top slot and for some reason the 1080Ti is not detected in Windows, HWMonitor but the Folding Client can see it.

I have this issue with the 960, it also makes the 980ti fold like 60% slower. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

But in my main it's the 1080ti in slot one and 980 in slot 3. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I have this issue with the 960, it also makes the 980ti fold like 60% slower. 

I am noticing that my PPD is lower than when I had just the 980.

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

But in my main it's the 1080ti in slot one and 980 in slot 3. 

I was afraid you were going to say that. I really did not want to move the 980 since it's in a single loop with the CPU. I also feel like putting the 1080Ti in the top slot will have it pulling hot air coming from the back plate of the 980 in slot two, Unfortunately I can't put it in slot 3 since I have cables plugged in to the bottom of the motherboard.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I am noticing that my PPD is lower than when I had just the 980.

I was afraid you were going to say that. I really did not want to move the 980 since it's in a single loop with the CPU. I also feel like putting the 1080Ti in the top slot will have it pulling hot air coming from the back plate of the 980 in slot two, Unfortunately I can't put it in slot 3 since I have cables plugged in to the bottom of the motherboard.

Honestly I don't think it will help... Have you tried a new driver? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

51 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Honestly I don't think it will help... Have you tried a new driver? 

I was already at the latest driver but this suggestion gave me an idea:

I uninstalled the drivers, disconnected the 980 and just left it hanging for a bit with the 1080Ti still installed in the 2nd x16 slot. With this, the only video out would be the 1080Ti. I this installed the latest drivers. Finally, I reinstalled the 980 onto the 1st x16 slot and booted up. A couple of restarts later to let the drivers catch up and for some reason the Nvidia Control Panel was not there, voila:

Spoiler

Folding5.PNG.fe54bed6c17f33c333cae91d9f0d7f80.PNG

1.5mil PPD! <------- Is this about right for a not OC'd 980 and 1080Ti?

Windows and HWMonitor are also detecting them both now!

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I was already at the latest driver but this suggestion gave me an idea:

I uninstalled the drivers, disconnected the 980 and just left it hanging for a bit with the 1080Ti still installed in the 2nd x16 slot. With this, the only video out would be the 1080Ti. I this installed the latest drivers. Finally, I reinstalled the 980 onto the 1st x16 slot and booted up. A couple of restarts later to let the drivers catch up and for some reason the Nvidia Control Panel was not there, voila:

Reveal hidden contents

Folding5.PNG.fe54bed6c17f33c333cae91d9f0d7f80.PNG

1.5mil PPD! <------- Is this about right for a not OC'd 980 and 1080Ti?

Windows and HWMonitor are also detecting them both now!

I get 1.7m with a little OCing. So seems right. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just wanted to clear up any confusion but you must be folding for team LTT to qualify for this event. All folding is great and if you have another team you are part of that is awesome but this event is for team LTT only. If you are not a member of team LTT your stats will not be tracked and not count as part folding month. Sorry for any confusion there might have been.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

Just wanted to clear up any confusion but you must be folding for team LTT to qualify for this event. All folding is great and if you have another team you are part of that is awesome but this event is for team LTT only. If you are not a member of team LTT your stats will not be tracked and not count as part folding month. Sorry for any confusion there might have been.

Ill add this to my updates too. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I am using 8 cores on my Ryzen and getting 30K PPD. 

Folding on 6/8 threads of my Xeon E3-1231v3 at 3.4GHz yields about 20K - 25K PPD.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

9 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

can i? even with hardware that old? 

would 2 E5620's and a gtx 1050 work too? because then i can use one of my old servers... and not run my main system 24/7. i'd rather do that because my main pc has a consumer PSU in it, where that server has proper redundant psu's designed to run 24/7...

Without being too specific since I never got the chance to test and see what would actually meet the minimum. The 100k over the course of a month was meant to be achievable by early quad core cpu running by itself. Almost any gpu that can fold will achieve it no problem. Remember you have the whole month to get 100k not 100k ppd which would be completely different.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well the WU and active days requirements forces there to be a consistent commitment over the whole month regardless of hardware so I think that is a good thing.  Certainly better than just basing it on points alone.

That was the intent.

9 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

ok then, i can even put an rx460 into that server as well, so i can get even more. 

well, my main machine has a nice motherboard in it that i don't want to lose. i've had psu's die before and take motherboards out. the server with the e5620's is a system that i don't currently use, and one of those servers is quite cheap to buy again if it does die. 

those Xeon's are much older than ryzen though... 

would adding an rx460 as well give me even more?

So long as you have a name brand PSU and your not at its limit in wattage or anything like that I wouldn't worry too much. I have my 1080ti running 24/7 for months on end now without issue. Also decent PSUs that Ive seen die have done so by simply tripping their own breaker and shutting off.

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i could, but one issue with that is that that server has no pci-e power plugs at all, so it's a lot easier just running gpu's that don't require those. 

+ i doubt i could keep it cool with a 780Ti folding in it because my room gets quite hot... 

That is why we do this in winter. (for those of us in the northern hemisphere.)

4 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

at the moment I am downvolting my cards to save some power and not sweat my b. of when I am next to my pc. But ill give OCing another shot. I heard mem clock is where the PPD is at with most cards?

I'm not sure with AMD since all of my cards have been Nvidia (total shill I know) but @Ben Quigley seemed to have some luck with his vega 64 when it came to mem OC.

4 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Well... She's a tight squeeze but it's all in there. PS this is the case I found in a skip(dumpster) and Dremeled out to 140mm holes haha.

IMG_20181027_144538692.jpg

assuming its not the dead one, how are temps on that bottom card? lol

4 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

What GPU is it? 

PSU as exhaust is how all of the old top mount PSU systems were.

Folding Community Board:

2 minutes ago, palespartan said:

assuming its not the dead one, how are temps on that bottom card? lo

Unfortunately... it isn't dead... but it isn't quite working either... I'm not sure what the issue is. I think its a fake as the die has no etching on it at all. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

Unfortunately... it isn't dead... but it isn't quite working either... I'm not sure what the issue is. I think its a fake as the die has no etching on it at all. 

What is it supposed to be?

Folding Community Board:

Just now, palespartan said:

What is it supposed to be?

GTX 960

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240