Addictive PC Games

Paul Rudd

What are some of the most addictive PC games you've ever played? To the point where time does not exist anymore and you get lost in the game and just cannot put it down.

Wolfenstein the new order, LA Noire, Transference, Rainbow 6, Fallout 4, Rage, Superhot

Which genres do you enjoy? FPS? Open World? Fighting?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

The big ones I remember playing and all of a sudden realizing it was 4am were Overwatch(current obsession), the first kingdom hearts game, Tales of symphonia, and Borderlands. 

Final Fantasy 9

LISA: The Painful

Slay the Spire

Darkest Dungeon

Resident Evil 4

Skyrim

Dark Souls

Rocket League

and obligatory HuniePop. 

Forgot RuneScape, WoW, and CoD: Black Ops 1. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

29 minutes ago, Ryan_The_Spoon said:

Wolfenstein the new order, LA Noire, Transference, Rainbow 6, Fallout 4, Rage, Superhot

You've played Transference?

26 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Which genres do you enjoy? FPS? Open World? Fighting?

I enjoy almost every genre available. 

1 minute ago, A Random Dude said:

I enjoy almost every genre available. 

Here are some I have over 100 hours in:

Open World:
The Witcher 3 (this one I've played through 3 times already, currently on my 4th run)

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Assassin's Creed Origins

GTA V (single player, never cared for the online)

Borderlands 1, 2 (best with a buddy)

Saints Row 3, 4 (also best if in coop)

MOBA:

Dota 2 (4k hours and counting, send halp)

Multiplayer shooter:

PUBG

CS: GO

Overwatch

19 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

HuniePop. 

HuniePop.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

2 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

The Witcher 3 (this one I've played through 3 times already, currently on my 4th run)

I've played this game maybe 8 times or so and I have yet to get into it at all. What exactly hooked you to it and got you so interested in putting in hour after hour?

4 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

GTA V (single player, never cared for the online)

You've missed out big time(and continuing to miss out). Especially if you really enjoyed story missions. There's a reason they still continue to provide DLC. Online missions are just as fun as story missions. And the creator, my goodness. Endless possibilities and endless custom game maps/modes to download. 

7 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Borderlands 1, 2 (best with a buddy)

I totally agree. I really enjoy the original Borderlands DLC and look forward to one day enjoying the DLC of the 2nd and 3rd games. The DLC of the first game really hooks you and time flies by.

9 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

CS: GO

They finally created a free version of this game. I just downloaded it last night but haven't played it yet. I can't wait because it's basically against bots and I LOVE bots.

33 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

obligatory HuniePop

What exactly makes it obligatory?

36 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Final Fantasy 9

LISA: The Painful

Slay the Spire

I've yet to play these and LISA is completely new to me. It looks off the wall so I'm gonna look into giving it a try sometime. Thanks for your comment on this topic. It's much appreciated.

Just now, A Random Dude said:

What exactly makes it obligatory?

It's obligatory for me to recommend HuniePop to everyone. There are very few puzzle games that go from 1/10 to 10/10 in difficulty in only three or four rounds. HuniePop does it right. You need to plan your moves carefully to line up as many +4 or +5 groups as you can. One round in Alpha difficulty gives you five turns and you're required to either get really good turn add-ons or all +5. If you're looking for a puzzle game that actually feels like a challenge, this might be a good choice. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

I've yet to play these and LISA is completely new to me.

I'll be honest about LISA. If you're an RPG master, you will still get killed more often than not unless you choose easy mode to start with. If you're looking to get your ass kicked like a whiny, little bitch, this is your game. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

The first 3 times I played the Witcher 3 for the story. I've been a massive fan after I played the 2nd game (forgot to put it in the list, it's also a massive time sink), I read all the books and even played the first game (which was quite objectively bad). I've grown to love all the characters and wanted to see where their journeys took them.

Right now I'm playing it again because of a mod that makes the combat waaay more intuitive and difficult.

About GTA V, yeah, that's what my friends who play the online tell me too. I just feel like I can't get anywhere without spending real money and I don't like that.

10 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

I read all the books and even played the first game (which was quite objectively bad). I've grown to love all the characters and wanted to see where their journeys took them.

Are the books just like the game? Or are they like most other books, completely different than their game?

10 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

I just feel like I can't get anywhere without spending real money and I don't like that.

You don't need any money to play online missions. And... they provide you with money and RP by completing them. Which ranks you up and unlocks things such as better weapons like the heavy sniper. I like to master each mission. Not for the money per say, but for the fun it provides. The music in the background. The adrenaline. The sniping. The unpredictability of how to go about doing EVERYTHING. This aspect combined with playing with friends or even complete strangers that have mics, can be quite hilarious. To hear peoples reactions to how you go about handling yourself and handling situations, priceless.

Actually, everything in the books happens before the games.

Hmmm...tempting. I'll give it a shot again over the weekend.

4 hours ago, Ryan_The_Spoon said:

Oh god, Fallout 3, 4, and NV ate so much of my time. So have Cities Skylines, and simcity.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

PC

1. Ragnarok Online

2. Cabal Online

3. Guild Wars 2

4. Path Of Exile

5. rFactor 2 or racing sim in general

6. GTA Online

7. Witcher 3

8. Skyrim

Console

1. Chrono Chross

2. GT2

3. Chrono Trigger

4. FF6

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Stardew Valley.
Been many times when I've said "One more day, my crops are almost ready for harvest" and then I have checked the time and it was 6am.

Civilization V.
You spend a few hours building up your empire, and then just before you take a break India declares war and launches a bunch of nukes and you have to show them who is boss.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

trails of the sky series

no one played it?

I did, but i didn't skip any of my meals so that game is out. :ph34r:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Amongst the recent titles, Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

Was really bummed there's no NG+

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

20 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

PC

1. Ragnarok Online

2. Cabal Online

3. Guild Wars 2

4. Path Of Exile

5. rFactor 2 or racing sim in general

6. GTA Online

7. Witcher 3

8. Skyrim

Console

1. Chrono Chross

2. GT2

3. Chrono Trigger

4. FF6

Very much into open world games aren't ya'? In MMO's such as these, how do you get past the easy/difficult learning curve of the genre in general? I have Black Desert Online but never play it at all but I really want to get into it. How did you get into the MMO's you got hooked to?

18 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

trails of the sky series

no one played it?

Nope, never. Heard of it but those types of games look so boring to me. Boring genres intrigue me though so if someone ever somehow relays to me the reason they get hooked to those types of games, I'm all ears to reasons to give them a go. Closest game to that game that I've played for more than 5 minutes would have to be Infinite Undiscovery. There's just something about IU that draws me to it but I got lost on what to do around the 1 hour mark of playing the game.

Now I also gave The Last Remnant, Resonance of Fate, Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata a chance maybe two to three times but nothing hooked me into actually wanting to continue playing the game. Lost Odyssey I played for a couple of hours and it seemed like an awesome game but again, just couldn't get hooked. I think I own Blue Dragon as well but I have never even put it into my consoles.

What exactly hooked you to Trails of the Sky?

18 hours ago, Spotty said:

Stardew Valley

I watch Achievement Hunter play this sometimes and it has something about it that makes me want to play it one day. Seems all you need is someone to play it with that knows more about the game than you do. Never realized it can be addictive but it makes sense when farming is involved. What made the game addictive to you?

18 hours ago, Spotty said:

Civilization V. You spend a few hours building up your empire, and then just before you take a break India declares war and launches a bunch of nukes and you have to show them who is boss.

Building, war and nukes all in the same game? Oh I got to check Civ games out more often than just a peek. I'm guessing these types of games have a pretty steep learning curve involved, am I right?

4 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Amongst the recent titles, Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

I had this game for like a day. It seemed like a very decent game but the game took up so much space. I had to let it go and ever since I feel like I regretted it big time.

What's the strong suit of GR Wildlands? What makes it addictive exactly?