We're Building a Gaming LAN Center!!

you keep talking about your caching server why not have a fast 10gb nas setup as a steam library and just all computers can use it you would save hard drives in your sytems and only have to install the games to it once , and load them from it when you play gqames you wouldn't notice a difference

16 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Thank 

Need good graphic card like 1070ti 1080ti

A good KEYBOARD like Razer hurtsman

A good 120 hz moniter like asus ones 

image.png.e504a90ec01de3131f4ef7ddc8e2dcf6.pngimage.png.e4943fbb21b142fbebda25f9e1276fec.png

maybe not but i thought desks that fold up may be a good idea? so that you can easily convert the playce and create some room when needed

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

What about mounting the PCs under the desk? not on the floor but say at the far right on the underside of the table and use small form factor machines and have the IO on the back of the tables? If you're wanting to go for sleek that is

Also i thinking few suggesting wireless peripherals but not sure about input lag

Also i'm thinking some form of divider between the desks, not big office ones, but just enough to stop what i will call light bleed. So say you're streaming and someone is playing a FPS next to you you might get some weird light flashes

Also boom mic's on each of the desks to remove unwanted sound from hitting the desks etc.

I would love to see a small room for vr so you can do some vr games 

9 minutes ago, Buckleytb03 said:

I would love to see a small room for vr so you can do some vr games 

They already have a VR setup in the old Library i believe

Linus, I think you are missing hidden potential, Look up. Put in a mezzanine. It looks like you have plenty of vertical area that is not being used and would add the square footage (or is it Square mm in Canada). This can give a cave like appearance and the window would be great to illuminate.   

Hi linus, in my small tavern (8x8 meters) i have a total of 12 PC, a console setup, a table for dinner/box games and a kitchen.

I want to give you my advice! and sorry for mispell, i'm italian!

1)Put Case PC on top shelves or anyway but UP!!!! Heat generated is very disturbing!!!

2)Don't care to much about noise!, invest more in a good headset, close design, obvisly and with long cable!!!

3)Use 144hz monitor 1080P but max 24", not go to 27", pixel start to be noticed

4)Have a good plan to keep it clean!!!! people eat snacks or chips while playing and most of the time in a single weekend yours keybord and mouse will be dirt as hell!!!!

4.5) place accomodation for food/drink and/or a small drawer or plane to eat and to store snacks and most importantly CLEANING WIPES for  hands!!!

5) for periferal and construction of the desk, remember that alot of people rage hard when playing, so all must be solid for random smash, for that reason and for food/drink spill, don't use mecchanical but membrane!

6)you have a 3d printer, then use it! move pc very up and make a dock for on/reset button + leds, at least 6 usb (key, mouse, headset, 3 extra)

7)mount up every station a webcam to monitor player beheivior and time

8)software-wise, deactiveted automatic windows updates (set it manual on gpedit.msc), deactive: delivery optimization, hybernation, no windows sync or other, delete almost everything from winstore execpt all the xbox app

9)Use a normal ssd sata for game but take at least 2TB!!!!!! a single battlefield 1 with all dlc is 75GB!!!! think for future game!!!

10)if you plan to stream from some machine find a good webcam that is not to much panoramic, to not spoils other player next to it

11)RGB LED ARE DISTURBING WHEN GAMING IF TO BRIGHT!!!!! SET A SWITCH OFF!!!!!

12)room litght must be low, not dark but not even full neon ON!

and for now is all i can say, sry for long post!

Happy lan-nerding!

Whole room water cooling, revived.

Each PC has a 2 blocks, and a pump. The pump will be independent for each system so it is only running when the system is on. The GPU can use a regular CPU block, minimal air cooling will be sufficient for the rest of the PC. (Consider something like the NZXT G12). The Heat exchanger can then only worry about maintaining the temperature of the aquarium. 

image.png.7e8f16bb0cd305a5a8c28331ebbf5aea.png

@LinusTech hit up  the buddies at Corsair and get a K70 RGB Mk.2 SE (White color) and also the Corsair Glaive  RGB, HS70 Headset with ST100 stand, MM800 Polaris Cloth Mouse pad.

A small cafe/lounge area plus a corner with projectors + VR area (PSVR, Vive, Rift, etc).

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

Just my 2 cents but you could get a couple of hyperkins retron 5 consoles: 

https://hyperkin.com/Retron5/shop/retron-5-gaming-console-black-hyperkin.html?___SID=U

combined with some retrogate cartridges: 

https://shop.retrogate.com/

for your retro gaming area, cost may get up there but you can basically have every game for Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Famicom, Super Famicom, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and Megadrive on the consoles without all the cartridge clutter.

If you decide to get the actual retro consoles instead heres a tip for wire management: a composite video switch with IR remote saves alot of headaches instead of having a rats nest of wiring hooked up to the crt.

From a networking perspective I would put the LAN-center on a separate vlan that is not able to access the regular LMG-network. And you might use deepfreeze or similar software on the computers to have settings reset on reboot.

The following points outline my perfect gaming/LAN center setup. I am probably forgetting half the things right now, but I would be really happy if you could consider some of my arguments.

Placement/Setup:
I would hide the PC´s somewhere under the desk or behind the monitors because if I´m gaming I would want my food and drinks next to me and not some flashy box of hardware. I think the desk yould look a lot cleaner and less crowded if the PC is stashed underneath it or behind the monitor(s). I believe it would encourage people to interact more with each other if the space between them is not blocked by a PC. And if you want to play against each other you can sit on opposite sides - what I´m trying to say is that there is no need to seperate the "gaming stations". Also consider dual monitors - IMHO they are immensly useful, especially if you are streaming but even in games they can be quite handy. Put a sink and a fridge somewhere near - for drinks and snacks. Don´t use a big mousepad. It´ll get dirty with all the snacks you are going to eat while gaming!

Desks:
Make the desks from hardwood/multilayered boards. They look really good and they feel very comfortable when resting your arms on it (not too cold, they also don´t get too slippery when your arms are sweaty. From my experience something like oiled walnut works great). Oh, and don´t cover up a beautiful wooden desk with a big mousepad! You could also consider wireless charging built into the desks. It would be really handy if you can have your phone next to you and have it charging without having to plug it in.

Peripherals:
As for monitor choice, I dont have ANY experience, but if I could choose it would be 1440p with 144Hz (maybe even faster, like 240).  But I would choose refresh rate over resolution, so no 1440p60. As far as peripherals go, a mechanical keyboard is a must for me, even if they are loud. Oh, and please dont put noise dampeners on them, it completely ruins the feel. The only "gaming" mouse I´ve ever had is the G502 and so far I´m very happy with it. I think it would do well in a LAN party setup. A USB Hub is mandatory for quick access to usb ports.

Sound:
For headsets, I have bought a wireless headset 3 years ago, and I never want to go back to wired. I would never choose a bulky, flashy looking gaming headset, I much prefer moderate looking ones. Also, get a monitor with speakers built in. Even if they are crappy they can be really handy if you quickly want to show a video to someone else. I really hate having to turn my headphones to max volume to show my friends something or game together on a PC.

Chairs:
Any racing/gaming seat would do. It doesn´t have to cost a fortune.

Connectivity/Network:
A 1Gbit connection for each PC is more than enough. I mean, why the fuck yould you need 10Gbit for gaming?? Do you want to download a game, stream two 4k videos AND update windows at the same time? C´mon, get real!

PC hardware:
Gor for whatever CPU/GPU/MB you like, the faster the better. As for the accelerated HDD, I´m not sure it will be so useful here. People are gonna play a lot of differant games, so I doubt you would really benefit from optane acceleration. Forget about the 750whatever SSD, you won´t boot these machines so often. I´d rather put the money in a bigger, but slower SSD to put the most used games on it. For a case I would choose a small, but well isolated tower for reduced noise levels. Maybe consider fully watercooling the systems for minimum noise.

Console setup:
I have never liked retro games, I think they are boring as can be. So I would never get a CRT TV. Personally I would put the console setup in a seperate room because when playing console games together it can get quite loud which could disturb someone who´s streaming or recording at the time. For TV, just take the biggest screen you can afford, slap a soundbar and subwoofer onto it and call it done. Two couches are good, three are better. You can never have to many seats around a big TV.

14 hours ago, Scotter97 said:

LTT crew,

I'd like to give some insight to the network situation.  Props to "vermicryx" for the Cisco 3850 recommendation.  But, you probably want to keep switch vendors the same on any network (not doing so can cause configuration nightmares to force switches from different vendors to communicate).  Plus, Cisco is pushing the Catalyst 9300 model now, which is cheaper and newer than the 3850.  vermicryx's 40Gbps recommendation is also on point.  If 40 Gig modules are out of scope, then 4 10Gig modules can be teamed together to acheive the same speed.  I would NOT recommend pulling numerous data runs back to your switch closet.  Also, from reading previous comments, I can see numerous different types of servers popping up.  This is another reason to have a "access" switch in the LAN center.  With a strong backbone between the "Access" switch and your "core" switch, servers can be kept where they belong.....IN THE SERVER ROOM!  Additionally, after game updates have been downloaded/applied to PC's, gaming traffic should be local to the "access" switch (unless there is a game server in the server room, then a VERY small percent of the backbone will be utilized).

Connecting the switches......

Fiber is the best solution for connecting multiple switches together across a building.  It also will not be affected by electric conduits (unshielded cable is not able to protect data signals from high current, but I doubt you have that issue).  When you bond multiple links between two switches together for greater throughput/redundancy, you are putting the links into a "port-channel" group or "LAG" group (terms differ between vendors).  

I re-watched your video on "10 Gig Networking" and saw that you were using Netgear at the time.  I am unsure if you can move forward with that switch platform.  Cat6A copper cables can operate at 10 Gbps speeds up to 100M (330ft).  If the distance to the LAN center is under that number, GREAT!  If not..........................new switches? (I know, $$$).  

(Side note). I also saw a Cisco 3800 router in the rack above the Netgear......PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that the 3800 is not there anymore! (it is extremely outdated and was end-of-lifed back in 2016).

If the idea of upgrading the network is a bit daunting (price wise), there are companies that sell "equal to new" at a lower cost.....some even offer their own life time warranty on the equipment (switches/routers/cables/SFP modules).

Community, please feel free to add to this or ask any questions.  I will attach a ROUGH sketch of what I talked about.  Hope this helps Linus!

P.S.  PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A UNIQUE VLAN/SUBNET FOR EACH PC!!!!!  Thats idiotic.  If someone is scared to death about getting hacked by a friend, CUT THE CABLE! Or, turn on windows firewall.......

LAN center network.jpg

Thanks for the mention!

Consider a firewall/DMZ from Sonicwall/Fortinet/Sophos. Who thought of separate subnets? That's not even plausible. a simple /24 within the DMZ, with the static IP set for the PCs. Stack-able switches may be overkill, since redundancy wouldn't be key here(Not really a 100% up time REQ. situation). But would be a fun setup. I'd personally ditch Netgear/TP Link hardware altogether. Matching vendors will also keep your engi happy as swapping syntax get's annoying. The only time you'd come close to maxing out @Scotter97 teamed 40G would be larger updates/downloads at simultaneous moments. (unlikely still). The Suggestion for the 3850 over the 9300 is cost. 9300 was launched after and many companies are ditching their 'old' catalysts for newer and getting your hands on them cheap require no partnerships, no vendor agents or nor ccna/partner certs.

Hmmm... You should enclosing this area so you can opening it the public for the LTT Gaming Café.

1 hour ago, vermicryx said:

Thanks for the mention!

Consider a firewall/DMZ from Sonicwall/Fortinet/Sophos. Who thought of separate subnets? That's not even plausible. a simple /24 within the DMZ, with the static IP set for the PCs. Stack-able switches may be overkill, since redundancy wouldn't be key here(Not really a 100% up time REQ. situation). But would be a fun setup. I'd personally ditch Netgear/TP Link hardware altogether. Matching vendors will also keep your engi happy as swapping syntax get's annoying. The only time you'd come close to maxing out @Scotter97 teamed 40G would be larger updates/downloads at simultaneous moments. (unlikely still). The Suggestion for the 3850 over the 9300 is cost. 9300 was launched after and many companies are ditching their 'old' catalysts for newer and getting your hands on them cheap require no partnerships, no vendor agents or nor ccna/partner certs.

One thing to keep in mind LTT, switchports are full duplex.  Meaning, there can be 40Gbps of traffic going both ways at the same (upstream/downstream or send/receive).  So, for example, if multiple people are downloading content (equalling 20Gbps down) and uploading video (equalling 30Gbps up) over the backbone link, no performance will be lost and no bottlenecking.

I have a brand new Dell Trinitron P992 8D466 VGA CRT computer monitor you can use for the Retro Gaming area!

9 hours ago, Alphy13 said:

Whole room water cooling, revived.

Each PC has a 2 blocks, and a pump. The pump will be independent for each system so it is only running when the system is on. The GPU can use a regular CPU block, minimal air cooling will be sufficient for the rest of the PC. (Consider something like the NZXT G12). The Heat exchanger can then only worry about maintaining the temperature of the aquarium. 

image.png.7e8f16bb0cd305a5a8c28331ebbf5aea.png

Exactly what I was thinking about.

This is it, the perfect timing, the perfect project.

Reborn without initial issues, dedicated to the craziest LAN center project ever... Perfect for LTT spirit !!!

12 hours ago, KaliiSteele said:

I wish I had the 3d Modeling skills to make something like this, I just had to make mine in paint :P

That model work doesn’t take too much know how. Look up Autodesk Revit

9 hours ago, unijab said:

looks cramped

Yeah it is but I didnt have real dimensions. Just based on Linus’s drawing and assume a lot of things.