Nintendo Switch Online Service costs money

2 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Yeah, these things (computers, video games and keyboards) are expensive.

But, you're still allowed to have fun with your life. You've only got one shot at this so might as well make the most of it~

You keep saying how you need to play games to have fun and therefore it isn't fair if you can't. What if I need a Ferrari to have fun, or a yacht, or a private jet? Is it also somehow unfair to me since I can't afford any of that? The only difference between the two activities/items is you care about one, but not the other.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

30 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

The level of apathy in this thread astounds me.

Those who jeopaedize their survival to play games deserve apathy.

32 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

It doesn't have to be this way, y'know.

The alternative is that we all struggle to survive, because there can't be a middle or rich class without a poor class  but there can be a poor class without a middle or rich.

But the fact that many that are considered poor can even get a smartphone without giving up food, water, or shelter, is a huge sogn we've cone a long way. The rich have gotten richer, but so have the poor.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

You keep saying how you need too play games to have fun and therefore it isn't fair if you can't. What if I need a Ferrari to have fun, or a yacht, or a private jet? Is it also somehow unfair to me since I can't afford any of that? The only difference between the two activities/items is you care about one, but not the other.

Look, dude. Video games are an escape for a lot of people, myself included. I'm depressed. My life has been rough and video games help me get away from it. Without them, I'd be dead, no joke. I'm not saying this to build up sympathy for myself, you don't need to bring out the world's smallest violin and play me a sad song on it. But, please try to understand the conditions that people that aren't yourself face.

Also, fwiw, I try to get most of my video games while they're on sale. Since I want to continue playing Switch games online, I'll buy into this subscription service... but try to get codes while they're on sale. But I think I'll predominantly prefer PC for multiplayer after this goes into effect, because it doesn't cost me money, and I can put that money saved into other things.

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

So having fun is only for people who have money. Got it.

Yes, welcome to life. Take a seat with everyone else.

53 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

The level of apathy in this thread astounds me. It doesn't have to be this way, y'know.

Ahh brilliant, let's crash the world economy because I wanna have fun. Wahhh.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Ahh brilliant, let's crash the world economy because I wanna have fun. Wahhh.

Not what I'm saying.

1 minute ago, NowakVulpix said:

Not what I'm saying.

Doesn't have to be. You either don't understand how businesses work, or you don't want businesses to exist in your world so you can have fun. 

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Doesn't have to be. You either don't understand how businesses work, or you don't want businesses to exist in your world so you can have fun. 

So we should just let them do whatever, with no repercussions even if they come to our homes and slap us in the face.

2 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

So we should just let them do whatever, with no repercussions even if they come to our homes and slap us in the face.

Because them not forcing you to pay for a subscription you don't need in your life is a slap in your face? Okay then.

22 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Look, dude. Video games are an escape for a lot of people, myself included. I'm depressed. My life has been rough and video games help me get away from it. Without them, I'd be dead, no joke. I'm not saying this to build up sympathy for myself, you don't need to bring out the world's smallest violin and play me a sad song on it. But, please try to understand the conditions that people that aren't yourself face.

All that is perfectly reasonable. Feeling like you're entitled to a free online service provided by some company is not.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

All that is perfectly reasonable. Feeling like you're entitled to a free online service provided by some company is not.

Consider that it's not 2002 and online multiplayer is ubiquitous now. Stopped being a premium thing a long time ago.

12 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Consider that it's not 2002 and online multiplayer is ubiquitous now. Stopped being a premium thing a long time ago.

A Toyota Camry has been common place for thirty some odd years, that doesn't mean I'm entitled to a free one.

Whether something is premium or not is irrelevant.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

A Toyota Camry has been common place for thirty some odd years, that doesn't mean I'm entitled to a free one.

Whether something is premium or not is irrelevant.

I don't think we're understanding each other here.

Just now, NowakVulpix said:

I don't think we're understanding each other here.

I don't think you understand you're not entitled to anything in life just because it exists.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

I don't think you understand you're not entitled to anything in life just because it exists.

I'm not saying I'm entitled to anything.

44 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

I'm not saying I'm entitled to anything.

@AlwaysFSX @79wjd Daring's right. He's heavily implying it. WAY different.

/s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

@AlwaysFSX @79wjd Daring's right. He's heavily implying it. WAY different.

/s

1. Who's Daring?
  2. It's ridiculous to expect everything in life to be free. I just don't feel online multiplayer is a premium service anymore.

Who's Daring?

You.

It's ridiculous to expect everything in life to be free.

Glad you got this concept.

I just don't feel online multiplayer is a premium service anymore.

Ah, but it is a service.

I don't feel like I got premium service when I got an engine swap in my Dakota ("new" had 97K miles, now acceleration is slower and brake is touchy as fuck), but I still had to shell out $4K for it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

Some of you seem to be working under the assumption that people can afford even $20/year for console online, because "lol it's $2 a month how bad could that be"

Consider that a lot of people around the world are poor and that even $20/year can pose a huge financial burden on them. For them, the PC is a better option, because they don't have to pay anything to join their friends online in most games, but then the cost of entry for the PC can be higher.

Battle.net itself is free. The only game on it that requires a subscription to play is World of Warcraft. Every other game on Battle.net doesn't require a subscription.

If you can't afford $20 a year you can't afford a $300 switch and $60 games to go with it

1 minute ago, Eaglerino said:

If you can't afford $20 a year you can't afford a $300 switch and $60 games to go with it

Sales.

Just now, NowakVulpix said:

Sales.

So I'll find a $10 Switch? $10 AAA Nintendo games? Nintendo games themselves are notorious for staying full price for extended periods. You still can't afford them if you can't pay the optional $20 a year. If you can't even afford that, how are you paying for internet? Electricity? If you're relying on subsidies or whatever for all of that, entertainment hardware like gaming systems would be the least of your worries.

This literally is not an issue. People are making an issue out of a nonexistent issue. People have been more than happy to pay $60 a year for Xbox Live for 10+ years.

5 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

People have been more than happy to pay $60 a year for Xbox Live for 10+ years.

Doesn't mean that console multiplayer should be a premium feature now. This isn't 2002 anymore. Nintendo is only doing this because Sony and Microsoft do it. They have consistently proved since the DS that they can't provide online multiplayer worth even $0.

8 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

I'm just going to say it. This isn't true.

There are plenty of single player and offline multiplayer games for the switch. If $20/year makes the difference, it just means you can't afford the $20/year service.

I can't afford the $60 XBL Gold membership on top of needs, savings, PS+, and shooting. So I just don't get the gold membership, the rest I easily afford.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

Some of you seem to be working under the assumption that people can afford even $20/year for console online, because "lol it's $2 a month how bad could that be"

Consider that a lot of people around the world are poor and that even $20/year can pose a huge financial burden on them. For them, the PC is a better option, because they don't have to pay anything to join their friends online in most games, but then the cost of entry for the PC can be higher.

Battle.net itself is free. The only game on it that requires a subscription to play is World of Warcraft. Every other game on Battle.net doesn't require a subscription.

If you can't afford 20 dollars per year then you really shouldn't be worried about if Nintendo is allowing you to use their online for free. You would have much more important things to worry about. I mean how are you going to buy the console the games and internet if you can't afford 20 dollars a year? The idea that the 20 dollars is the breaking point is kinda rediculus. 

Online on consoles is only paid because the companies are greedy. They don't go towards server costs. They go towards Sony, M$, and soon, Nintendo's pockets. That is why online should not be a premium. Console gamers are being taken advantage of.

PC specs: Intel core i5 4690k__EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX Superclocked 4GB Edition__G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 1600mhz__Corsair CX 750W PSU__Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case__Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Mobo__Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler__1TB WD Blue HDD__Corsair K70 Red LEDs with Cherry MX Brown Switces__Steelseries Rival Gaming Mouse__Windows 10

4 minutes ago, Celli said:

They don't go towards server costs.

By default, yes, they do.

4 minutes ago, Celli said:

They go towards Sony, M$, and soon, Nintendo's pockets.

Yes, that kind of has to happen before a company can spend it towards maintaining, expanding, and improving their services.

6 minutes ago, Celli said:

Online on consoles is only paid because the companies are greedy.

Everyone is greedy. Entitled brats being the greediest of all.

6 minutes ago, Celli said:

That is why online should not be a premium.

Spoken like a true communist.

Don't like it, don't buy it. It's literally that simple. You don't have a right to the services in question. You don't need the services in question.

7 minutes ago, Celli said:

Console gamers are being taken advantage of.

Not really, PS+ and Xbox Live Gold are what allows PSN and Xbox Live to kick in Steam/other PC distribution platform's teeth in on both features and the quality of said features.

If console gamers don't want to pay, they can play any game that has free online multiplayer. That handful of games use only their own servers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.