Nintendo Switch Online Service costs money

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

By default, yes, they do.

Can you provide proof?

Yes, that kind of has to happen before a company can spend it towards maintaining, expanding, and improving their services.

Except PC online is free and completely functional. Nintendo of all people especially has no business charging for faulty online.

Everyone is greedy. Entitled brats being the greediest of all.

The only entitle brats are Sony Nintendo and Mircroshaft.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Spoken like a true communist.

Funny that you assume what ideology I follow. But nice try.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not really, PS+ and Xbox Live Gold are what allows PSN and Xbox Live to kick in Steam/other PC distribution platform's teeth in on both features and the quality of said features

PC doesn't need to justifty charging with useless features like "free" games and plus, all the features that are on Console are on PC and are free and work well.

PC specs: Intel core i5 4690k__EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX Superclocked 4GB Edition__G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 1600mhz__Corsair CX 750W PSU__Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case__Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Mobo__Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler__1TB WD Blue HDD__Corsair K70 Red LEDs with Cherry MX Brown Switces__Steelseries Rival Gaming Mouse__Windows 10

Oh man, a company charging people to use their services. What horrible fucking people they must be. If you liked the company and actually cared about supporting them and keeping them up and running, you'll help fund them with your money. Pretty simple concept. Even "free" services aren't typically free on the backend of things.

7 minutes ago, Celli said:

Can you provide proof?

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are paying for servers and maintenance to keep their online services running. 

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are receiving money. Literally, by definition, some of that money is going towards server costs -- regardless of whether or not it helps the bottom line. 

Except PC online is free and completely functional.

It's not free, Steam takes a bigger cut of sales -- it just happens that the devs are paying the difference rather than you as the individual. 

Nintendo of all people especially has no business charging for faulty online.

Except that the hope is that there service will improve -- just like PSN improved once it was no longer free. 

The only entitle brats are Sony Nintendo and Mircroshaft.

So, companies are greedy and entitled for wanting to charge for a service they are providing, but you as an individual are neither entitled nor greedy for expecting those services to be given to you for free?

K.

Funny that you assume what ideology I follow. But nice try.

It's less of an assumption and more reading comprehension.

PC doesn't need to justifty charging with useless features like "free" games and plus, all the features that are on Console are on PC and are free and work well.

Except that the PC market is still heavily fragmented with games split across multiple platforms and with no good way of combining everything into one convenient interface. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, 79wjd said:

Except that the PC market is still heavily fragmented with games split across multiple platforms and with no good way of combining everything into one convenient interface. 

And it's bad to have multiple PC storefronts because.....?

PC specs: Intel core i5 4690k__EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX Superclocked 4GB Edition__G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 1600mhz__Corsair CX 750W PSU__Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case__Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Mobo__Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler__1TB WD Blue HDD__Corsair K70 Red LEDs with Cherry MX Brown Switces__Steelseries Rival Gaming Mouse__Windows 10

12 minutes ago, Celli said:

And it's bad to have multiple PC storefronts because.....?

Because that requires me to be signed into 12 different services. It's the same reason why people like Steam rather than having a bunch of games download individually without any DRM. People are willing to pay for the convenience of everything being consolidated. But that's not quite the case anymore with more and more games launching on their own platforms. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

With more and more online games being released, I do think that paying a sub should be only for other features besides multiplayer. If World of Tanks can do it for free, why can't Activision and EA? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

With more and more online games being released, I do think that paying a sub should be only for other features besides multiplayer. If World of Tanks can do it for free, why can't Activision and EA? 

Activision and EA refuse to use their own servers on consoles.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Activision and EA refuse to use their own servers on consoles.

That sounds like an Activision and EA problem more than a user problem. With more and more microtransactions, ad-targeting, and "DLC", I find it hard to believe that any of these services need to charge $60 for a sub. 

Though, Nintendo's marketing is basically "Mario!!!" and you buy Animal Crossing. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Yep, I have no apathy for someone who can't afford to play video games just like I wouldn't epect someone to give a shit about me not being able to buy a private jet.

You work hard and you can buy things. Otherwise, grow the fuck up, you're not entitled to anything.

I know right, I wished I could afford several planes. Like a Airbus ACJ320neo, Boeing BBJ2 (737-800), maybe a BBJ787 and for shits and giggles might as well have an ACJ350 XWB or ACJ330neo or BBJ747-8i or ACJ380 haven't decided yet.

Although I don't shit bricks of gold yet so none of those are possible. Doesn't mean Boeing or Airbus should make their planes more affordable.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

With more and more microtransactions, ad-targeting, and "DLC", I find it hard to believe that any of these services need to charge $60 for a sub. 

Here's a secret.

The price of games and memberships haven't risen with inflation.

Added monetization in gaming is not just additional profits. Companies are using them to also fund future products, maintain servers, and make updates.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:24 AM, JCBiggs said:

thats great, but we are talking about companies with over a billion in revenue. they had a $274 million  Net last year.  you telling me they cant afford a few server racks?  xD  

But you don't know what their operating costs are, you don't know how much their internet costs, how much it costs to employ (wages and insurance) thousands of people, to keep the lights on and so on.

I'm not an expert when it comes to running a business, I have never ran one myself but people seem to underestimate the true cost to run a business, profit is then used to help grow the company in the future and a cushion for anything that may come up. If a company made let's say 1 billion dollars in one year on gross income (the income before any deductions) and after all the deductions (costs of business and what not) had $200 million left over, their profit margin was 20%. Businesses are in the business of making money if a business only making what it needed to keep the lights on and what not if something big came up, the company wouldnt be able to take care of it and it'd probably have to shut its doors.

20% profit margin I presume is pretty good all things considered

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

Look, dude. Video games are an escape for a lot of people, myself included. I'm depressed. My life has been rough and video games help me get away from it. Without them, I'd be dead, no joke. I'm not saying this to build up sympathy for myself, you don't need to bring out the world's smallest violin and play me a sad song on it. But, please try to understand the conditions that people that aren't yourself face.

Also, fwiw, I try to get most of my video games while they're on sale. Since I want to continue playing Switch games online, I'll buy into this subscription service... but try to get codes while they're on sale. But I think I'll predominantly prefer PC for multiplayer after this goes into effect, because it doesn't cost me money, and I can put that money saved into other things.

Great! So find another escape. What do you think depressed people did before video games existed?

Lethargy is *terrible* for depression and/or pain management. The best way to manage depression is not videogames. It's not hiding out in your house and playing online. It's sunshine and social interaction. You may not like that. You may not find it fun. But isolation, lack of physical activity, and removal from natural light cycles is *terrible* for depression.

And if you really need an escape to cope, there's plenty of other things, less expensive things, to sink yourself into.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Spoken like a true communist.

Eh not really the place to get into it but that comment really had *nothing* to do with communism, and it's kind of telling that communism is your deflection. >.> We're all headed there eventually (as scarcity decreases, laissez faire theory approaches communism by definition).

Y'all this was already known when they launched the switch why is everyone up i narms about it all of the sudden again? It's cheaper than xbox live and PS plus and arguably has better online focused games and will even exclude certain online games such as fortnite so you don't need to pay for the service to play those games unlike the competition.

19 hours ago, Demonking said:

whatever corporate slave. buying a game and having half and in some cases all its content locked behind a pay wall is anti consumer, no matter how you try to damage control it. 

Yet you buy a console and by itself you can't do jack with it. Just because you need two things to get the full use of a product doesn't mean it's anti consumer. Why isn't all Microsoft programs included with Windows? Oh so now it's the game developers fault that they didn't include internet access with the game? I mean why aren't they paying the isps to allow people playing their games to have free internet access? You are paying for a service that costs them money. They have every right to charge for it. They aren't required to spend money to provide a service that is free because you think it's anti consumer. I mean out if all the actual anti consumer practices people are complaining about this? Actual anti consumer practices are much more insidious. Don't compare that crap with them selling a reasonable service for a reasonable price. You get 20 games included and 12 months of the service for 20 bucks. That's actually a good deal. 

5 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Great! So find another escape. What do you think depressed people did before video games existed?

I'm sorry but what a shitty thing to say to a depressed person. I'm not in a great financial situation so I should just give up on something that helps me connect with people?

19 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

I'm sorry but what a shitty thing to say to a depressed person. I'm not in a great financial situation so I should just give up on something that helps me connect with people?

Yes. Yes you actually should. You should go and connect with people in a way that gets you more physically active, that gets you out of your comfort zone and that actually contributes towards proper depression management.

No psychiatrist worth their salt would ever suggest that immersing oneself in videogames in the isolation of one's home is a good long term treatment plan for depression.

Mental health is important but at the end of the day the only one who can make changes to improve your mental health is you.

However, that being said, none of this is really on-topic, and we should probably get back to the matter at hand.

23 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

We're all headed there eventually (as scarcity decreases, laissez faire theory approaches communism by definition).

We're not heading towards communism. Scarcity isn't decreasing, it's increasing.

Laissez Faire also doesn't approach communism either. One is the market being maintained by private companies trying to sell product to the masses, by either being the best outright or having the best percieved value, and the other one is the (faulty) pursuit of all goods and services being managed by way of mob rule.

Humanity is absolutely fucked under Communism. It does not work, by design it can not work. Communism is incompatible with human nature.

27 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

that comment really had *nothing* to do with communism

The belief that a service not being a paid service on the basis of corporations pursuing profit is a communist belief.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

However, that being said, none of this is really on-topic, and we should probably get back to the matter at hand.

True.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

none of this is really on-topic, and we should probably get back to the matter at hand.

Who cares? This is the second repost of Nintendo monetizing online play, and this "news" has been known for a year by anyone that doesn't live under a rock.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Who cares? This is the second repost of Nintendo monetizing online play, and this "news" has been known for a year by anyone that doesn't live under a rock.

It's been known since January 2017.

22 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The belief that a service not being a paid service on the basis of corporations pursuing profit is a communist belief.

It's a good thing I don't fucking follow communism, then, huh?

24 minutes ago, Celli said:

It's a good thing I don't fucking follow communism, then, huh?

Then you have no idea what you've been saying.

On topic: It's only $20 a year, that's less than $2 a month. I don't mind that at all. I spend more money on Steam sales for games I never play.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

10 minutes ago, Exprima said:

Then you have no idea what you've been saying.

k