Changing my WAN IPV4

Fr8ty
On 7/1/2018 at 6:29 AM, Donut417 said:

Many ISP's in the US dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as not all sites and services use IPv6. Plus they dont give statics for free, they have to have some bull shit reason to charge you an additional monthly charge, or else it wouldn't be capitalism. Also mac address cloning is not available in gateways from what I have seen, at least not rented units from ISP's.

Yeah and your ipv6 is more of a directory for your router. So basically I am gonna have to unplug it and wait 2 days?

On 7/1/2018 at 7:38 AM, Radium_Angel said:

For whatever reason you want to change your IP address, and it's clear you are not going to tell us, so we can only assume it's for nefarious purposes, and since your router won't do it, then go buy a router that will...

It is not illegal at all and nothing is suspicious of why I need to, privacy should be respected however 

On 7/1/2018 at 9:40 AM, beersykins said:

That's not even intense bro

I would do a little research on vpns if I were you, the fact that you think a vpn does more than mask your wan ipv4 worries me

usually as soon as you restart the router you will ghet a new ip address but it sounds more like you dont have a real IPV4 address at all.

The only exception here is if your ISP is running out of Ip addresses then you will just get the same one again.

i had the same ip for 3 years before it finally changed once a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Fr8ty said:

I would do a little research on vpns if I were you, the fact that you think a vpn does more than mask your wan ipv4 worries me

Pretty sure the purpose isn't entirely to 'mask an ip', I also didn't state the straw man arguments that you're stating.  

Since you refuse to specify your requirement, somehow cannot roll reasonable equipment and only quote theoretical situations it's just a waste of everyone's time.  But hey it's not like I have a career managing vpns for a billion dollar organization or anything.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

2 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Pretty sure the purpose isn't entirely to 'mask an ip', I also didn't state the straw man arguments that you're stating.  

Since you refuse to specify your requirement, somehow cannot roll reasonable equipment and only quote theoretical situations it's just a waste of everyone's time.  But hey it's not like I have a career managing vpns for a billion dollar organization or anything.

I am confused on how me telling you why I need to change it has any affect on the solution to this issue. I need to know if it is true that unplugging my router for 2 days will actually change it before I spend 2 days without WiFi 

47 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

usually as soon as you restart the router you will ghet a new ip address but it sounds more like you dont have a real IPV4 address at all.

The only exception here is if your ISP is running out of Ip addresses then you will just get the same one again.

i had the same ip for 3 years before it finally changed once a few weeks ago.

Nah, Spectrum isn't doing CGNAT yet, they just have a very long DHCP lease time.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Change MAC or expire the lease are your only two options.  You might be able to directly connect your PC, reboot the modem, obtain a different ip, reconnect your router and reboot the modem again, but that may or may not work.

As per 'why' it's probably a stupid reason since you refuse to elaborate, it's just as easy to be transparent as it is to be rude.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

2 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Change MAC or expire the lease are your only two options.  You might be able to directly connect your PC, reboot the modem, obtain a different ip, reconnect your router and reboot the modem again, but that may or may not work.

I don’t have a separate router and modem it’s a combo if I just had a separate router I could easily clone it

The reason you clone a MAC is usually because the ISP locks a lease to a particular router (their own). If you have an ISP like that calling them is the only thing you can do to fix that.. and I don't know what you mean by "they are strict about that" but your net is busted, so call them, your a customer with a problem that is why the number is there.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Nah, Spectrum isn't doing CGNAT yet, they just have a very long DHCP lease time.

So you are positive if I unplug my router combo for 2 days it will reset the ip?

Welp I guess you're waiting it out.

2 minutes ago, Fr8ty said:

So you are positive if I unplug my router combo for 2 days it will reset the ip?

I'm not 100% positive, no.

I see some people saying its 5 days for them.

Best bet would be to go into the router and check the lease time there.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Alright this thread is blowing my mind. There is so much wrong stuff is here.

@Fr8ty ARP (MAC) is a non-routeable protocol. Meaning, changing it won't really do anything to your point of presence.. at least directly. So if your wondering if this hides you on the internet, no it does not. The only person that cares about it is your ISP. They use a MAC to issue you an IP that is linked to your customer account.

You can also set the MAC to be whatever you want on most OS's. Some OS's even let you set a random one. Changing your MAC will force your provider to issue you a new IP, at least by spec for the DHCP protocol (they may have other things in play here)

The best way to do this is to call them and have them reset it to the MAC on your router. That way if you flash the config in the future you won't have any problems.

Waiting for the existing lease to expire is silly.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

On 7/1/2018 at 1:13 PM, jde3 said:

Alright this thread is blowing my mind. There is so much wrong stuff is here.

@Fr8ty ARP (MAC) is a non-routeable protocol. Meaning, changing it won't really do anything to your point of presence.. at least directly. So if your wondering if this hides you on the internet, no it does not. The only person that cares about it is your ISP. They use a MAC to issue you an IP that is linked to your customer account.

You can also set the MAC to be whatever you want on most OS's. Some OS's even let you set a random one. Changing your MAC will force your provider to issue you a new IP, at least by spec for the DHCP protocol (they may have other things in play here)

The best way to do this is to call them and have them reset it to the MAC on your router. That way if you flash the config in the future you won't have any problems.

Waiting for the existing lease to expire is silly.

I know what the MAC address is. But changing it forces the WAN IPV4 to change as you said.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:57 PM, Lurick said:

I'm not 100% positive, no.

I see some people saying its 5 days for them.

Best bet would be to go into the router and check the lease time there.

See that is the issue it says the lease time expires the next day but it doesn’t reset it every time I renew/refresh it. And when I wait till that time nothing happens 

5 minutes ago, Fr8ty said:

See that is the issue it says the lease time expires the next day but it doesn’t reset it every time I renew/refresh it. And when I wait till that time nothing happens 

If the router is still plugged in then it will auto refresh

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Fr8ty said:

Yeah and your ipv6 is more of a directory for your router. So basically I am gonna have to unplug it and wait 2 days?

yeppers. :D 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

19 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If the router is still plugged in then it will auto refresh

Yeah it is for instance, it says the lease time is like 23 hours 58 minutes or something like that. I wait that time and nothing happens.

But still you don't explain WHY you need it changing, this is key to the whole discussion.  Maybe we can offer an alternative solution to your problem, if we know WHAT the problem is?

Changing your IP address does very little for privacy, your ISP still knows which customer is assigned which IP address.  This is why people were offering VPN as a solution, because its extremely confusing WHY changing your IP address is helpful.

In the UK static IP addresses are more common, I have both a static IPv4 and IPv6 range (although I'm not using it except on the router itself as there are so many compatibility issues on devices) and the ONLY reason I ever would need to change it is for those download sites that only let you do one thing per 2 hours.  VPNs help there.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

But still you don't explain WHY you need it changing, this is key to the whole discussion.  Maybe we can offer an alternative solution to your problem, if we know WHAT the problem is?

Changing your IP address does very little for privacy, your ISP still knows which customer is assigned which IP address.  This is why people were offering VPN as a solution, because its extremely confusing WHY changing your IP address is helpful.

In the UK static IP addresses are more common, I have both a static IPv4 and IPv6 range (although I'm not using it except on the router itself as there are so many compatibility issues on devices) and the ONLY reason I ever would need to change it is for those download sites that only let you do one thing per 2 hours.  VPNs help there.

I always use a vpn but I am not worried about privacy from my isp, all I need to know is how to change it. Knowing why I need to does nothing to help the solution 

Ah well then the short answer is, you can't.  The long answer is, it might work if you can put up with not using the Internet for days on end.

Honestly it sounds like you are going to a lot of trouble to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

21 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Ah well then the short answer is, you can't.  The long answer is, it might work if you can put up with not using the Internet for days on end.

Honestly it sounds like you are going to a lot of trouble to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

So really my only options are, call my isp, or unplug the router, my question is when I unplug it how do I know when to plug it back in because if I plug it back in and it’s not time yet won’t I have to restart?

You can't know, as you are trying to do something you should never need to do and as such your ISP isn't setup to do it.

The only foolproof way would be for your ISP to refresh your IP address but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they refused or can't even do it without referring it to high-level support, as there is no good reason for them to do it unless you having connectivity issues.

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You can't know, as you are trying to do something you should never need to do and as such your ISP isn't setup to do it.

The only foolproof way would be for your ISP to refresh your IP address but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they refused or can't even do it without referring it to high-level support, as there is no good reason for them to do it unless you having connectivity issues.

I just dont get it I have a dynamic ip all other service providers have the option to clone your mac address in your router. I guess its cause i have a combo

I swear if you're going through all this just to try and get "unbanned" from something xD

16 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I swear if you're going through all this just to try and get "unbanned" from something xD

No lmao that you can use a vpn for ?

1 minute ago, Fr8ty said:

No lmao that you can use a vpn for ?

So why then? You did some shady shit and now you're scared or something lol?