Should I trust this cooler?

I want to step out of air cooling a put my toe into water cooling. I want to get an AIO to cool my CPU; But I don't have a lot of money. I know that all of the good ones are at or above $100. Would I be able to trust a $50 AIO, or maybe cheaper?

Link to the cooler on Amazon

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0757KXCKC/ref=twister_B075R7G24W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 

(This is the new AM4 compatible one)

2 minutes ago, SHG_Marsh said:

I want to step out of air cooling a put my toe into water cooling. I want to get an AIO to cool my CPU; But I don't have a lot of money. I know that all of the good ones are at or above $100. Would I be able to trust a $50 AIO, or maybe cheaper?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0757KXCKC/ref=twister_B075R7G24W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 

Absolutely not. I can foresee those fans, pump and LED's failing after less than 3 months, and a 120mm AiO isn't going to improve your cooling performance over a decent tower cooler. 

I mean, yeah, it'll probably work for a while, but you won't gain much benefit from it. For what it's worth, I went back to air cooling after having a bad experience with 120mm AiO's on my 6700K. Temps were "okay" at best, but the fans would ramp at the slightest load regardless of fan curve, since cpu would spike as soon as any load was applied.

4 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Absolutely not. I can foresee those fans, pump and LED's failing after less than 3 months, and a 120mm AiO isn't going to improve your cooling performance over a decent tower cooler. 

I mean, yeah, it'll probably work for a while, but you won't gain much benefit from it. For what it's worth, I went back to air cooling after having a bad experience with 120mm AiO's on my 6700K. Temps were "okay" at best, but the fans would ramp at the slightest load regardless of fan curve, since cpu would spike as soon as any load was applied.

Can I trust this air cooler?

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-Configuration-3-Phase-Motor/dp/B075CT6S2K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527250600&sr=8-4&keywords=AM4+Air+cooler

I can almost guarantee that will leak out of the box, and even if it doesn't, it won't cool well at all. Either save up some money for a good AIO, or get a $50 air cooler.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:19 AM, SHG_Marsh said:

It's OK, see if you can get something from be quiet! or Noctua or something for around $50.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, SHG_Marsh said:

If the choice is between that and the AiO, I'd definitely trust the air cooler more - there's very little that can go wrong with a big chunk of metal. I've had a great experience with my noctua cooler like @kelvinhall05 said, so if you can find one in the same price range that will physically fit your machine, i'd recommend that instead, but if you can't find one, getting that arctic cooling tower with 2 fans for $45 is a decent value.

Edited by Tabs

13 minutes ago, SHG_Marsh said:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I would avoid the off brand ones like the plague. I am using a Corsair H60 on one of my machines right now and it has lasted a year so far.

9 minutes ago, Tabs said:

On the other hand I am not pushing it very hard - it's on a 3770 (non K). In a case with good airflow and extra fans added. I haven't had any leak problems so far, but my other machines all have air and I am problem going to go to a better air cooler when I do my next build. I just had a gift card that matched up to the cost of a H60 about a year ago so I thought I would try it.

23 minutes ago, SHG_Marsh said:

Most stock Ryzen AM4 coolers would probably be better than this any ways.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Air cool. Air cool offer similar or better performance than single fan AIOs (depending on what you compare with what), and you have 1 thing that can fail, the fan. The AIO you have the pump and the fan that can fail. So for an air cool solution, you can replace the fan to a better and/or quieter one instead of the stock solution (at least for most air cooling solution), and while you can do that on an AIO kit as well, you can't replace the pump on them. So if you have a noisy pump and you seek to make your system quieter, you have to replace the whole thing (not to mention promote environmental waste if you are the type of person that is concern by this)

Why are you looking at these coolers in particular? What cpu, case, and ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why are you looking at these coolers in particular? What cpu, case, and ram are you using?

i am using a ryzen 5 1500x, NZXT s340, and 8gb (2x 4gb) of patriot ram

On 25/05/2018 at 1:09 PM, SHG_Marsh said:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

price doesn't really determin that a cooler will be good. The Noctua NH-D15 air cooler is pretty cheap and will perform as good and better in some cases as AIO and the Alphacool Eisbear AIO is cheaper uses better quality material than a corsair H115i. What you should be looking for is materials used. Most pumps & RADs on popular AIO brands these days are made by Asetek and usually use Aluminum whilst Swiftech, Alphacool and Ek Waterblocks make far superior AIOs and use copper. I am about to build my new system using an AIO for the first time and from the research I have done I will not use one with aluminum and want to have it made by one of the best manufacturers, I havent decided which I am going for yet but I am either going for the Alphacool Eisbaer LT360, the bequiet 360mm or Fractal s36 all use copper rads and blocks.

On 5/26/2018 at 11:58 AM, SHG_Marsh said:

i am using a ryzen 5 1500x, NZXT s340, and 8gb (2x 4gb) of patriot ram

The 1500x isn't a very power hungry cpu and doesn't benefit much from excessive cooling. You're better off getting a cheaper cooler and putting the money towards a better cpu if you want more performance.

The included Spire cooler is fine for a moderate oc and you'll probably be limited by voltage than temps when getting a better cooler. 

You should be able to get most of the same oc with a cheap cooler like the Kotetsu: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7998TW/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000

It performs similarly to the Arctic 33 eSports Edition while being quieter at a lower cost. If you're mainly concerned with looks, the eSports ONE comes with one less fan but is a batter value at $30: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yHNv6h/arctic-freezer-33-esports-one-blackwhite-cpu-cooler-acfre00043a

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.