Hot-Swapping PCIe Cards

Insert Triggered memes*

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, Daniel644 said:

new drinking game, everytime Linus says "go ahead and cut" take a shot and see if you survive the video

Haha, I was just about to post that :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Haha, I was just about to post that :P

you beat me to it on the video comments though

Just now, Daniel644 said:

you beat me to it on the video comments though

Yah but I deleted it after I saw you made the comment too :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

ǵ̶̢̮̤̺̹͘̚ͅȯ̸̝͕͎̮̼̜̉̔̕ ̴͗̈́ͅa̴̖̯̖͖̐͊́̈̊̈́̏ḥ̷̡̠̰̥̇e̴͉̘̅͊́͜a̷̺͉̱̘̘̩̎͌͑̽d̷̛̜̊̄̀͐̔͝ͅ ̸̧̟̰̐a̷̱͓̟͓͈̤͛́̋͠ͅṇ̸͔̘̲̳̱̇̽̒d̶̡͇̋͋ ̵͎̮̬͉̤͊̈̃̚͜ͅç̴̢̳̞̦͎̇̒̊͠͝ư̸̡̮̑́͛͊̽t̸̝̳͕̆͊

I couldn't resist memeing this.

Edited by RollTime
Changed drive link to YouTube link
it's time

Neat. I wouldn't have gotten as excited, but that's useful :)

Next level : SLI Hot Swap :D
Cheating enabled (for Linus) :
Using Explicit SLI Mode in Ashes of Benchmark to bypass 6-pin external power requirement, but still show it works.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

So TLDR of this video:

It basically isn't meant to work on consumer boards.  Even the "WS" consumer boards it's probably not going to work unless special bios and only on special slots like U.2.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

What I really want to see is:

1. Boot the system with a low-end GPU (say a 1050ti) whose drivers are already installed
  2. Benchmark the system with the low-end GPU
  3. Hot-add a higher-end GPU that uses the same driver as the low-end GPU (such as a 1080ti)
  4. See if video output works on the high-end GPU
  5. See if the system keeps working when you remove the low-end GPU
  6. Benchmark the system again with the high-end GPU and compare the results to those of the low-end GPU on the same boot
  7. See if you can reverse it again without rebooting

Hot-configuring SLI or CrossfireX would also be cool, but I doubt the bridge is electrically compatible with hotplugging.

"How far has manufacturer instructions gotten anyone?"

Idk Linus. I wonder how you got hot-plug working?

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

I've done some PCI-e hot swap when I worked at Fusion-io, but there are caveats...
1) Have to unload the driver/kernel module before you pull the device
2) Have to have memory pre-allocated to be able to address any newly added cards
3) Driver has to be able to support unload/reload while the OS is running vs just at boot time.
4) Bios support also needed usually.

The biggest issue is really just having support in the device drivers and having the driver notified of events. Newer stuff does this automatically, which is nice.

6-7 years ago, it was not as nice and required a lot of scripting in linux to tear down mdadm raid arrays spanned across 20-40TB of PCI-e flash.

I've done it with wifi cards in laptops before. Fuck HP and their BIOS whitelists and lies about "only these few expensive wifi adapters are compatible, all others don't work".

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, RollTime said:

ǵ̶̢̮̤̺̹͘̚ͅȯ̸̝͕͎̮̼̜̉̔̕ ̴͗̈́ͅa̴̖̯̖͖̐͊́̈̊̈́̏ḥ̷̡̠̰̥̇e̴͉̘̅͊́͜a̷̺͉̱̘̘̩̎͌͑̽d̷̛̜̊̄̀͐̔͝ͅ ̸̧̟̰̐a̷̱͓̟͓͈̤͛́̋͠ͅṇ̸͔̘̲̳̱̇̽̒d̶̡͇̋͋ ̵͎̮̬͉̤͊̈̃̚͜ͅç̴̢̳̞̦͎̇̒̊͠͝ư̸̡̮̑́͛͊̽t̸̝̳͕̆͊

I couldn't resist memeing this.

-link removed-

everytime he said "go ahead and cut" I sped it up 20%

Just gonna mention this, we don't like Google drive links here.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, AcquaCow said:
6-7 years ago, it was not as nice

Accurate description.

Have you ever hot-plugged pci cards? (No, not pci-e, pci)

Getting two nearly identical cards, where only one has the correct "mate first" length contacts on the card, and wondering why the hell it doesn't work.

0/10 would not recommend.

I do know somebody that hotswapped their modem when it got broken by lightning. This was in the early 2000's, running Windows 2000 on a consumer board.

Surprisedthat it worked flawlessly, they tried a scsi card, but that had some issues (system slowed to a crawl after the card was detected).

Well, I laughed my arse off at the first half of the video.

I'm guessing this feature is aimed at server builds that can't afford to go offline for upgrades.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

48 minutes ago, Cyanara said:

Well, I laughed my arse off at the first half of the video.

I'm guessing this feature is aimed at server builds that can't afford to go offline for upgrades.

Yeah. I can't really think of any other practical use for this feature.

Great stuff

CPU - INTEL CORE i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz (6CPUs)

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

RAM - 16GB

Motherboard - GIGABYTE Z370P

Case - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P400

Display(s) - ACER PREDATOR XB241H, DELL  S2716DG

Mouse - ROCCAT KONE XTD, LOGITECH G403

Keyboard - RAZER ORNATA, RAZER BLACKWIDOW X TOURNAMENT

I think this video can be summed up in one sentence:

"Go Ahead and Cut"

Linus really need some major help... No offence, @LinusTech:D

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync