LG launches the G7 - Resonance chamber, notch, 3000mAh battery

OLED are very overated

The colors degradation is too quick, in one year your screen turn from "Sublime" to "Awfull"

LG G6 is a very good phone, no need to change for me. Only "bad" point is autonomy, you can't expect more than one day.

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

Motorola is one of the worst when it comes to updates.

This link gives a good idea of how good the updates of different manufacturers are

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/28/ios-versus-android-security/

You can see apple sits at the top

I mean, Apple does a closed-source platform with their own in-house designed processor and such.

That's one of their advantages. It obviously has downsides but it also has its ups. Android, by contrast, is more open (though not fully open if you want Google certification). It has its ups but also its downs.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

55 minutes ago, NoOverflow said:

OLED are very overated

The colors degradation is too quick, in one year your screen turn from "Sublime" to "Awfull"

LG G6 is a very good phone, no need to change for me. Only "bad" point is autonomy, you can't expect more than one day.

The degradation depends on the brightness and how often it is used,

If you keep it on high brightness and use it all the time, then yes, it will degrade quickly. But if you set a conservative brightness and/or use it sparingly and maybe even use a blacked-out theme, its lifespan will significantly increase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, PineyCreek said:

The G7 looks like more of the same...not enough to be top-notch, yet somehow more annoying than the G6's unassuming demeanor.

But it does have a top notch. 

yeeeaaaaaa.jpg

3 hours ago, avg123 said:

That is a prototype. That will never be mass produced.

That's a functional prototype. That's a refined prototype.

It's pretty damn close to being mass produced, if not in production now.

3 hours ago, avg123 said:

Mechanical parts on a phone is doomed to fail and will be a replacement nightmare

Prior to smartphones, and during the early years prior to Apple "inventing" them, mecahnical sliding components were common place and were often not the parts breaking.

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

can't be a prototype if they're planning to release it to the mass 

Yes it can. It's a late stage protoype. A version to see how every thing is working, and if any slight changes still need to be made.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

That's a functional prototype. That's a refined prototype.

It's pretty damn close to being mass produced, if not in production now.

Prior to smartphones, and during the early years prior to Apple "inventing" them, mecahnical sliding components were common place and were often not the parts breaking.

Well, it probably may be in production, but probably as a limited run before a more refined version comes out a la Mi Mix. 

Slider phones were commonplace at the time but there's one crucial difference; they weren't motorized, so they wouldn't really wear out, not for a long time.

I used to have a Nokia slider phone and it was so satisfying to slide the keypad out and back in again 

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

If you keep it on high brightness and use it all the time, then yes, it will degrade quickly. But if you set a conservative brightness and/or use it sparingly and maybe even use a blacked-out theme, its lifespan will significantly increase

Basically you need to not use it ! And even with this it's gonna degradate !

I've use a Galaxy S3 with auto brightness for years, first months was okay but after only a year of normal use the screen was becoming way less atractive !

LCD is far better if you want to keep your phone for more than 6 months

4 minutes ago, NoOverflow said:

I've use a Galaxy S3 with auto brightness for years, first months was okay but after only a year of normal use the screen was becoming way less atractive !

I've been using my X for exactly 6 months and so far there is no burn in -- although I usually use my phone around 50% brightness (I do frequently use it outside in the bright sun and thus at 100% though). Newer (high quality) OLEDs burn in much slower, and I've heard a few rumors the OLED on the X burns in slower still (possibly due to not over saturating the colors like Samsung does?). Regardless, I would still prefer an LCD and not even have burn in anywhere on my mind. I personally don't care that much about OLED and in day-to-day usage I don't notice it unless I look for it since I'm generally not staring at a black/mostly black screen.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

39 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I've been using my X for exactly 6 months and so far there is no burn in -- although I usually use my phone around 50% brightness (I do frequently use it outside in the bright sun and thus at 100% though). Newer (high quality) OLEDs burn in much slower, and I've heard a few rumors the OLED on the X burns in slower still (possibly due to not over saturating the colors like Samsung does?). Regardless, I would still prefer an LCD and not even have burn in anywhere on my mind. I personally don't care that much about OLED and in day-to-day usage I don't notice it unless I look for it since I'm generally not staring at a black/mostly black screen.

Pretty sure it was one of Apple criteria

But anyway wait another 6 months et put your phone side by side with a new one

You will see degradation

The only real advantage of Oled is power consomption when the image as lot of black

5 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'm currently running a blue-heavy theme and have the brightness on a high setting on a regular basis. OLEDs are probably not for me. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, NoOverflow said:

used a Note 2 for 4 years before switching to the V10, screen still looks as good as it did on day 1

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, NoOverflow said:

Not exactly

I have several phones with OLED panels, but I’ll focus on two; my daily driver Note8, which is now nearly 8 months old and my 1.5 year old Moto Z

I use them at about 60% brightness average with the Moto being in auto and the Note in manual. The Note has the advantage of a dark theme but the Moto has to make do with Android’s default eye-searing white theme.

Both of them still look fine. Yeah, they will degrade eventually but I haven’t seen that yet. And really, OLED tech has evolved to the point where so as long as you don’t peg it to 110% sunlight-mode brightness and leave it on for the whole day, it will be fine. If it’s good enough for Apple to use, it’s probably fine.

LCD has its advantages but the real treat is when new tech arrives which allows displays to have the super-high contrast of OLED with the durability and lifespan of an LCD. 

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'm currently running a blue-heavy theme and have the brightness on a high setting on a regular basis. OLEDs are probably not for me. :P

Oh yeah same here, I don’t run at high brightness but I remain in *one app* for a consistent 30 hours a week (no judge plz).

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

14 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I really honestly feel that Motorola is going into the shitter. 

My Moto Z 2016 performed well but the Nougat update borked it and while it's on 7.1.1, there's still no sign of an Oreo update, when the Galaxy S7 already has it. 

Motorola should damn well support their products better. Mine was $699 new and I very well expect proper support for the usual 2 years. To be slower than Samsung is an absolute disgrace since Samsung has been one of the absolute slowest 

Awwww, my 50 dollar G4 was pretty good, thats a shame i wanted the motoZ