Apple’s Stumbling HomePod Isn’t the Hot Seller It Wanted

ItsMitch
6 hours ago, General Winter said:

i trust none of them, they're all hoarding your data for profit, apple just keeps their doors closed the tightest

and why not use a bluetooth speaker, if its worth shelling out $X00 dollars more for functionality already in the $1K iphone then sure, burn more money i guess

it really isn't warranted as convenient for myself or the majority of people i know, especially in apartments or other shared housing, you just piss off others and if you're having a party then you use standard powerful speakers anyway, especially for their asking price

if a tiny speaker that does nothing worthwhile outside voice commands and has lack luster sound quality compared to the competing speakers then its really not worth it (i would say get a phone with a better battery life but you're in the shitty apple ecosystem so i pity your dilemma) 

hence why i'm buying some raspberry pi and attaching them to the already present speakers in my home and installing Mycroft on them.

Open source voice assistant

No data hording 

Active, growing community of developers expanding it's abilities

checked all the box for me

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

you can't win all of the time, Apple's been beating pretty much everybody on the different new products that came out on the last couple of years, ipod, iphone, ipad. With the money they got it should be difficult to just change the flaws.

9 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

hence why i'm buying some raspberry pi and attaching them to the already present speakers in my home and installing Mycroft on them.

No data hording 

cool, i never heard of that before (mostly cause it never interested me)

but if i did ever become interested in such a device in the future, im glad to know i don't have to kill audio quality and this mycroft thing looks interesting (i've never heard of an open source smart assistant, i'll look into it when i need it); thanks for the idea

10 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

No data hording 

Links, please. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

No data hording 

32 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Links, please. 

just looking up the name shows you the site https://mycroft.ai/

also the mark 2 is promising if you don't have the DIY skill and you want mycroft

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mycroft-mark-ii-the-open-voice-assistant#/

8 hours ago, Some Random Member said:

Maybe it is only US smartspeaker sales, because correct me if im wrong, but you cant properly use the ALexa outside America(US and canada) so the Google has much higher market share in Europe.

That would make sense.

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

It's probably because amazon has a wider brand reach, if only because when you open amazon.com you get an ad for their stuff.

Yeah I suppose. I always found their devices lacked a lot in the aesthetics department, and for something I'd have more or less on display, Google just has a nicer one. It's that glass plastic. Can't stand it.

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I think the thing people miss is that HomePod was designed to be a speaker first and a smart assistant later. Apple even went out of there way at the announcement to say that Siri on HomePod was not the same Siri that is in something like and iPhone. 

Still, 10% of the market with that price tag is not bad. 

Really? It's not even that good of a speaker though. There's bluetooth speakers that are significantly better at the same price.

If it's not trying to be a smart assistant first, it's just a pretty lackluster speaker.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

There's bluetooth speakers that are significantly better at the same price.

I haven't heard anyone say that in a review

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Personally I see the failure being the lack of other streaming services. Apple Music is such a small portion of the market, and what really makes me confused is that there is not any support for Tidal (I haven't followed closely so they may have added support, sorry if I'm wrong) or other HiFi sources, as it seriously deserves superior quality files to drive such an awesome setup. I don't care for Smart Functions much, I have an Echo Dot and I rarely use it for anything but music. Spotify or Soundcloud support would be amazing. I don't think that the price point is a turn off, as people will buy it just because it is Apple. If there was not such a lack of support I would have told my parents to invest in one instead of an Echo, as they are practically locked into the Ecosystem at this point.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

7 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

Personally I see the failure being the lack of other streaming services. Apple Music is such a small portion of the market, and what really makes me confused is that there is not any support for Tidal (I haven't followed closely so they may have added support, sorry if I'm wrong) or other HiFi sources, as it seriously deserves superior quality files to drive such an awesome setup. I don't care for Smart Functions much, I have an Echo Dot and I rarely use it for anything but music. Spotify or Soundcloud support would be amazing. I don't think that the price point is a turn off, as people will buy it just because it is Apple. If there was not such a lack of support I would have told my parents to invest in one instead of an Echo, as they are practically locked into the Ecosystem at this point.

I see it more as an either-or.  Apple ought to either support third-party streaming services (less likely, although AirPlay 2 will help) or significantly improve Siri so that it's closer to the abilities of Alexa or Google Assistant, including support for third-party skills.  Support everything or give users a really good reason to stay within the Apple fold.

The $349 price doesn't help, either, although there are reports that Apple is looking at a lower-cost model.

wow, I thought google would have had a better share as honestly, I think that their assistant has more uses and abilities. this is especially true if you connect it to your smart home stuff like lights and thermostat. I just think Amazon has a bigger share because they advertised so much and pretty much was the first good smart speaker.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

On 4/21/2018 at 5:41 PM, suicidalfranco said:

Jobs' one was better.

ipod-hi-fi-100742718-large.jpg

glad to see to see cook's bastardisation of it fail.

The HiFi was 50 dollars at walmart within what, two years of launch? It was a failure, technologically and commercially. Apple has in the past few months claimed 10% of the market. Sonos and Google have been in the market for years and Google only has 4% more. Apple has 5 times as much as Sonos. People calling the homepod a failure are hilarious.

5 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

The HiFi was 50 dollars at walmart within what, two years of launch? It was a failure, technologically and commercially. Apple has in the past few months claimed 10% of the market. Sonos and Google have been in the market for years and Google only has 4% more. Apple has 5 times as much as Sonos. People calling the homepod a failure are hilarious.

It still undersold what it was supposed to. However, I do think it honestly did better than I expected it to because of the high price. However, I still believe it has too many problems to actually justify a high price tag.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?