Apple’s Stumbling HomePod Isn’t the Hot Seller It Wanted

ItsMitch
6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Superior sound quality coming from the company that owns Beats made me laugh. 

Beats are actually quite a bit better than the shit they were known for pre-acquisition. Now they're just overpriced.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Jobs' one was better.

ipod-hi-fi-100742718-large.jpg

glad to see to see cook's bastardisation of it fail.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 hours ago, Some Random Member said:

Maybe it is only US smartspeaker sales, because correct me if im wrong, but you cant properly use the ALexa outside America(US and canada) so the Google has much higher market share in Europe.

Alexa is advertised pretty heavily here  in Aus.  I don't know how well it would work but for the features they advertise it  should.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

They are meant to compete with sonos, not with Google Home and Amazon Alexa.

Doesn't matter who they're competing with, they're worse than every other player regardless.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Doesn't matter who they're competing with, they're worse than every other player regardless.

It matters in the sense that the HomePod isn't supposed to compete with the $40-$50 Home Mini or Echo Dot, but rather other similarly expensive speakers -- which was his point. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It matters in the sense that the HomePod isn't supposed to compete with the $40-$50 Home Mini or Echo Dot, but rather other similarly expensive speakers -- which was his point. 

It doesn't really make sense to separate features and performance from price in any competition though.  We wouldn't take a $500 acer and add $1500 to tag then  claim it is supposed to be competing with macbooks which is why it doesn't sell well compared to similarly priced lenovo's.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It doesn't really make sense to separate features and performance from price in any competition though.  We wouldn't take a $500 acer and add $1500 to tag then  claim it is supposed to be competing with macbooks which is why it doesn't sell well compared to similarly priced lenovo's.  

Except that the Home Pod is designed to compete against the likes of the Home Maxx, the Sonos One (I believe it's the One), and the Echo View (?) -- the better sounding versions of their cheaper counterparts. Whether or not the more expensive variants make sense is another story, and how well the Home Pod competes against the other variants, is again, another story. But it's not fair to compare the Home Pod against a Home Mini and argue how terribly overpriced the Home Pod is. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except that the Home Pod is designed to compete against the likes of the Home Maxx, the Sonos One (I believe it's the One), and the Echo View (?) -- the better sounding versions of their cheaper counterparts.

Home maxx I can understand but isn't the sonos just a speaker?

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Home maxx I can understand but isn't the sonos just a speaker?

The Sonos One has Alexa.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

The Sonos One has Alexa.

Interesting.   Then why are apple not doing well for sales? I would have thought they'd match sales curves of device like the apple watch.

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Interesting.   Then why are apple not doing well for sales? I would have thought they'd match sales curves of device like the apple watch.

I would assume the majority of smart speakers are the cheaper dots/home minis. On top of that, Apple was late to the game whereas the Apple Watch was released back when the only real alternative was a Pebble. Plus, the HomePod is more restricted towards Apple services I believe.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It seems like none of the pods are doing well this year ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

pods aren't worthwhile for most people compared to regular high quality features

in addition to being creepy and the security concerns with these devices(not that they don't exist on phones, but why have more stalking devices); i don't really see the value of voice command operations at home that you can't already do with your phone

4 minutes ago, General Winter said:

pods aren't worthwhile for most people compared to regular high quality features

in addition to being creepy and the security concerns with these devices(not that they don't exist on phones, but why have more stalking devices); i don't really see the value of voice command operations at home that you can't already do with your phone

Because I don't want always on listening on my phone for battery life reasons nor is my phone guaranteed to be in the room with me, the speaker, on the other hand, is. I use one when cooking and my hands are dirty or otherwise occupied, and I could honestly see it being pretty useful in the bathroom to handle all the glorious shower thoughts.

As for security concerns, data is only transmitted back to server for processing when you say the keyword -- the Echo, for example, has a mini processor and a tiny bit of memory, which it uses to recognize an initialization command ('Alexa') to switch into a responsive mode, which triggers the main CPU, NIC, and audio recording to power up and then transmit to Alexa servers. Besides, I'd trust Apple far more than Amazon or Google.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Is that a jab at Tide? Wow...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because I don't want always on listening on my phone for battery life reasons nor is my phone guaranteed to be in the room with me, the speaker, on the other hand, is.

As for security concerns, data is only transmitted back to server for processing when you say the keyword -- the Echo, for example, has a mini processor and a tiny bit of memory, which it uses to recognize an initialization command ('Alexa') to switch into a responsive mode, which triggers the main CPU, NIC, and audio recording to power up and then transmit to Alexa servers. Besides, I'd trust Apple far more than Amazon or Google.

i trust none of them, they're all hoarding your data for profit, apple just keeps their doors closed the tightest

and why not use a bluetooth speaker, if its worth shelling out $X00 dollars more for functionality already in the $1K iphone then sure, burn more money i guess

it really isn't warranted as convenient for myself or the majority of people i know, especially in apartments or other shared housing, you just piss off others and if you're having a party then you use standard powerful speakers anyway, especially for their asking price

if a tiny speaker that does nothing worthwhile outside voice commands and has lack luster sound quality compared to the competing speakers then its really not worth it (i would say get a phone with a better battery life but you're in the shitty apple ecosystem so i pity your dilemma) 

5 minutes ago, General Winter said:

i trust none of them, they're all hoarding your data for profit, apple just keeps their doors closed the tightest

and why not use a bluetooth speaker, if its worth shelling out $X00 dollars more for functionality already in the $1K iphone then sure, burn more money i guess

it really isn't warranted as convenient for myself or the majority of people i know, especially in apartments or other shared housing, you just piss off others and if you're having a party then you use standard powerful speakers anyway, especially for their asking price

if a tiny speaker that does nothing worthwhile outside voice commands and has lack luster sound quality compared to the competing speakers then its really not worth it (i would say get a phone with a better battery life but you're in the shitty apple ecosystem so i pity your dilemma) 

How does a bluetooth speaker solve the smart assistant aspect.....And how does a smart assistant piss people off...or speakers for that matter. Do you exclusively use headphones in your own home (because I can assure you that the vast majority of people don't).

And the sound quality of the HomePod is similar to the likes of the Home Maxx/Sonos One, and far better than the Echo Dot/Home Mini. 

Android vs. iPhone is irrelevant, any always on voice assistant will drain the battery faster regardless of the device. But, sure, pretend that iPhones have significantly worse battery life than all Android devices and that an always on voice assistant doesn't drain the battery, be my guest.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

How does a bluetooth speaker solve the smart assistant aspect.....And how does a smart assistant piss people off...or speakers for that matter -- unless you exclusively use headphones in your own home. 

Android vs. iPhone is irrelevant, any always on voice assistant will drain the battery faster regardless of the device. 

my parents don't even know how to disable voice assistant and their phone last all day

and have you never lived with anyone who dislikes what music you like , the ranging occurrences will ultimately  make it not worth it at all, and very many people do live in that case unless you're the asshole of the house in which case i have no respect for your opinion

even then it might picked up something someone else said or some other issue thats not worth hassling with

if you live alone and you don't mind shelling money for an effectively mediocre product both in quality and effectiveness just for convenience then sure, it may be for you; but its an impractical pricey toy for most people, wireless headsets will also do the same thing and they have more functionality outside the home

personally myself, i've seen the draw of a "smart assistant" but they're in every phone so it goes back to why even get a speaker for something your phone already does; if your phone has bluetooth, it should be able to pick up your voice (like any bluetooth mic) and tell your phone to change the music since that's the biggest hassle of your life

12 minutes ago, General Winter said:

my parents don't even know how to disable voice assistant and their phone last all day

And if you disable always on voice assistant, then it lasts even longer. I charge my phone once every two or so days -- if I had always on voice assistant then it would require a charge a bit sooner on that second day possibly before I get home from work. 

and have you never lived with anyone who dislikes what music you like , the ranging occurrences will ultimately  make it not worth it at all, and very many people do live in that case unless you're the asshole of the house in which case i have no respect for your opinion

The vast majority of people don't have random roommates, they're either living alone or living with family, in either case you're not likely to be using headphones constantly. In fact, outside of a college environment with a shared bedroom, I can't think of a single person I know who isn't allowed to play the tv or listen to something out loud.

even then it might picked up something someone else said or some other issue thats not worth hassling with

Good thing they can be restricted to only accept a certain individuals voice. And out of curiosity, how often do you say "Hey Google, ....", "Alexa, ....", or "Hey Siri, ...." in normal conversation? I'm gonna go with almost never over the course of your life (unless you/a friend happens to have the name Google, Alexa, or Siri, in which case, by the one which doesn't have that activation name).

if you live alone and you don't mind shelling money for an effectively mediocre product both in quality and effectiveness just for convenience then sure, it may be for you; but its an impractical pricey toy for most people, wireless headsets will also do the same thing and they have more functionality outside the home

Wireless headphones also require me to be wearing them at the time, and compared to the cost of living, $50 (or even $300+ for better sound quality) once every few years for extra convenience isn't much of anything. 

personally myself, i've seen the draw of a "smart assistant" but they're in every phone so it goes back to why even get a speaker for something your phone already does; if your phone has bluetooth, it should be able to pick up your voice (like any bluetooth mic) and tell your phone to change the music since that's the biggest hassle of your life

Do you have a tv, tablet, computer, house phone, watch, dishwasher, laundry machine, kitchen sink AND bathroom sink? A lot of the technology we have is wildly redundant, but we have it anyway as it increases convenience. You could also use the same dumb phone for the past twenty years and a cheap hotspot and bring your laptop with you everywhere -- no need to even bother buying a new expensive smartphone every few years. Ever go out to a restaurant? Why bother when you can cook yourself for much less. 

I have no problem with someone not seeing the value in a smart speaker, that's fine, but to pretend like they have no purpose is stupidly close-minded. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And if you disable always on voice assistant, then it lasts even longer. I charge my phone once every two or so days -- if I had always on voice assistant then it would require a charge a bit sooner on that second day possibly before I get home from work. 

The vast majority of people don't have random roommates, they're either living alone or living with family, in either case you're not likely to be using headphones constantly. In fact, outside of a college environment with a shared bedroom, I can't think of a single person I know who isn't allowed to play the tv or listen to something out loud.

Good thing they can be restricted to only accept a certain individuals voice. And out of curiosity, how often do you say "Hey Google, ....", "Alexa, ....", or "Hey Siri, ...." in normal conversation? I'm gonna go with almost never over the course of your life (unless you/a friend happens to have the name Google, Alexa, or Siri, in which case, by the one which doesn't have that activation name).

Wireless headphones also require me to be wearing them at the time, and compared to the cost of living, $50 (or even $300+ for better sound quality) once every few years for extra convenience isn't much of anything. 

Do you have a tv, tablet, computer, house phone, watch, dishwasher, laundry machine, kitchen sink AND bathroom sink? A lot of the technology we have is wildly redundant, but we have it anyway as it increases convenience. You could also use the same dumb phone for the past twenty years and a cheap hotspot and bring your laptop with you everywhere -- no need to even bother buying a new expensive smartphone every few years. 

im not going to argue everything you just said simply cause i don't care, but your last statement was especially low

the difference in convince between a "smart assistant speaker" and literally any of those applications is like saying i have to press a button is equally as hard as doing hours worth of manual labor (and the other are utilities and entertainment, which aren't even in the same realm but the same flawed logic still applies); i doubt you even thought this out so im not going to continue arguing with your flawed, rural logic where everyone listens to the same 5 songs in slightly different beats (even in my family loud speakers pissed everyone off, hence why my dad's personal dj room is in the basement and not on the main floor where everyone will get pissed off, especially my mother)

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Apple and cheaper don't go together.

*Apple and reasonable pricing don't go together.

1 minute ago, General Winter said:

im not going to argue everything you just said simply cause i don't care, but your last statement was especially low

the difference in convince between a "smart assistant speaker" and literally any of those applications is like saying i have to press a button is equally as hard as doing hours worth of manual labor (and the other are utilities and entertainment, which aren't even in the same realm but the same flawed logic still applies); i doubt you even thought this out so im not going to continue arguing with your flawed, rural logic where everyone listens to the same 5 songs in slightly different beats (even in my family loud speakers pissed everyone off, hence why my dad's personal dj room is in the basement and not on the main floor where everyone will get pissed off, especially my mother)

Ah, better get going to mommy and daddy. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Ah, better get going to mommy and daddy. 

oh and literally any other form of shared housing doesn't exist either in your rural town i guess

sorry i have decency with others who live with me

1 minute ago, General Winter said:

oh and literally any other form of shared housing doesn't exist either in your rural town i guess

sorry i have decency with others who live with me

I live with three other people, and yet I can still watch tv/listen to music out loud. There's a difference between listening to something out loud and blasting the volume. Most people don't exclusively use headphones everywhere. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Apple and cheaper don't go together.

They used to :(

"It does more, costs less, simple".

Contrast that to modern Apple:

"It does less, costs more, simple".

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL