Where do people watch higher quality TV shows?

Since streamed video quality doesn't seem to be that good and TV shows get Blu ray release few months after the entire season is finished, where do people find higher quality TV shows?Is there some place where episodes can be bought separately and downloaded in Blu ray quality (like Steam but for Blu ray content)?

Platforms like CBS all access, HBO GO, Discovery Go, and your cable providers On Demand platfiorm are great options.

4 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

Platforms like CBS all access, HBO GO, Discovery Go, and your cable providers On Demand platfiorm are great options.

CBS doesn't seem to have a good selection, HBO GO seems to have only HBO's content and Discovery GO is completely irrelevant.I was talking about TV shows like House of cards, The expanse, The x-files, Stranger things etc...Is there really no choice for higher quality other than waiting for the entire season to be released on a blu ray?

3 minutes ago, VivekK said:

Netflix

I thought Netflix is far from blu ray's quality (don't they usually have much lower bitrates?).

40 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Since streamed video quality doesn't seem to be that good and TV shows get Blu ray release few months after the entire season is finished, where do people find higher quality TV shows?Is there some place where episodes can be bought separately and downloaded in Blu ray quality (like Steam but for Blu ray content)?

if your just looking for 1080p, you can buy or rent shows on youtube in HD. They seem to have a really good catalogue, from house of cards to game of thrones etc. 

Not too many 4k offerings though

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

11 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

CBS doesn't seem to have a good selection, HBO GO seems to have only HBO's content and Discovery GO is completely irrelevant.I was talking about TV shows like House of cards, The expanse, The x-files, Stranger things etc...Is there really no choice for higher quality other than waiting for the entire season to be released on a blu ray?

most networks do have agreements for distribution, and if you have good enough internet (and required hardware), can stream in 4k 

1 minute ago, AntiTrust said:

if your just looking for 1080p, you can buy or rent shows on youtube in HD. They seem to have a really good catalogue, from house of cards to game of thrones etc. 

Not too many 4k offerings though

You can rent stuff on Youtube?Does it have better quality than other streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu...)?Don't online rentals sound strange? xD How can you "rent" digital information?

2 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

most networks do have agreements for distribution, and if you have good enough internet (and required hardware), can stream in 4k 

But what are these networks?Do they stream in higher quality (comparable to blu ray) than other popular services mentioned above?

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

You can rent stuff on Youtube?Does it have better quality than other streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu...)?Don't online rentals sound strange? xD How can you "rent" digital information?

yeah sounds a bit strange I agree,  the quality is pretty good, but probably no better than netflix or amazon/ hulu. The benefit is that they have regular tv shows, netflix and HBO shows in one place but it looks like no amazon shows. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

4 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

yeah sounds a bit strange I agree,  the quality is pretty good, but probably no better than netflix or amazon/ hulu. The benefit is that they have regular tv shows, netflix and HBO shows in one place but it looks like no amazon shows. 

So there's basically no way for enthusiasts to get blu ray comparable quality without waiting for blu ray releases?Weird, I wonder if someone might see this opportunity and make money by making "Steam for blu ray TV shows and movies", why waste resources on making blu ray discs when it's much easier to just download it.

10 hours ago, MyName13 said:

So there's basically no way for enthusiasts to get blu ray comparable quality without waiting for blu ray releases?Weird, I wonder if someone might see this opportunity and make money by making "Steam for blu ray TV shows and movies", why waste resources on making blu ray discs when it's much easier to just download it.

The average bitrate of most of my BluRays runs between 20-40mbps, and the max bitrate for a BluRay, for all combined streams, is 54mbps.  Factor in bandwidth caps and the number of consumers who couldn't even stream such bitrates and you have a reduced potential audience for what would already be a niche offering.  On top of that, any startup to cater to that audience ALSO has to secure the licenses for that content in the first place and you may be fighting exclusivity deals.  Like, you think HBO will let ANYONE but HBO stream Game of Thrones or Westworld in markets where they run their HBO Go service?  Nope.  And you'd face that battle many different ways and times.

It's not going to happen.   Wait for the BluRays and then you can rip them yourself like I do.  Lookit that, a whopping 3.8-6 GB per 25min anime episode.  This kind of data is an unattractive proposition to most.

4WSLo0f.png.6141fa3d3102270662ed40ad1b8fbbde.png

11 hours ago, MyName13 said:

I thought Netflix is far from blu ray's quality (don't they usually have much lower bitrates?).

Slightly lower, but they offer a bunch of 4K content that isn't always on bluray. Just make sure you internet connection is fast enough to stream it.

Edit: Grammer

Edited by cflanders
Grammer

On 4/20/2018 at 4:06 AM, MyName13 said:

No streaming site can offer what Blu ray can, though most of them are passable. Netflix content always looks crisp for me, and does PS Vue. If you having issues there then your internet may suck. So I guess you will have to wait for Amazon to get Blu Rays in stock, because that sounds like your only choice is Streaming isnt working out for you. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 3:34 AM, MyName13 said:

Most people posting are not understanding your question, it looks like.

The short answer is: You can't.

Netflix, YouTube, HBO Go, CBS All Access, Hulu, etc. They all stream at a bitrate that is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than Blu-Ray. If you like that higher quality from Blu-Ray (I know I do), you're unfortunately stuck waiting for the Blu-Ray release.

I would actually love it if I could digitally download or stream Blu-Ray quality media, but most Internet Connections would not be able to handle it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 4/20/2018 at 3:09 PM, cflanders said:

Slightly lower, but they offer a bunch of 4K content that isn't always on bluray. Just make sure you internet connection is fast enough to stream it.

Edit: Grammer

Netflix is significantly lower quality over Blu-Ray (unless the Blu-Ray or the movie was mastered like shit). Even 1080p Blu-Ray has higher quality than 4K Netflix.

Most people, however, don't notice and don't really care.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)