Do movies in 4k suck or is it just me?

I bought into the 4k hype and watched Thor Ragnorok on Blu ray the other day. It looked pretty amazing but I couldn't help but notice all that detail made every scene look too real. I found it so easy to tell that these were actors in a studio in front of a green screen, I could see which parts of the scene were real and which parts were CGI. The actors all looked like they were actors wearing costumes, as opposed to actual believable characters. Don't get me wrong the CGI was really impressive but I don't remember watching DVDs back in the day and thinking 'Well I can see the aliasing on those edges and these transitions between real scenery and CGI scenery are awful'. 

This wasn't the soap opera effect as I had the motion option turned off.

What do you guys think? Do I need to try some films with less CGI?

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

So which part of your description makes 4k sucks?

maybe read again?

Personally i really like 4k and yes, it sometimes gives a "too real"-effect but i don't watch too close to see every little detail and difference from CGI to RL. I tend to enjoy the movie instead, lol.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

maybe read again?

Personally i really like 4k and yes, it sometimes gives a "too real"-effect but i don't watch too close to see every little detail and difference from CGI to RL. I tend to enjoy the movie instead, lol.

which one?

This one " It looked pretty amazing but I couldn't help but notice all that detail made every scene look too real "

This make it sucks?

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

which one?

This one " It looked pretty amazing but I couldn't help but notice all that detail made every scene look too real "

This make it sucks?

It breaks the illusion. 'Too real' might not be the correct description--maybe uncanny or distracting. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

which one?

This make it sucks?

maybe read more than the first sentence? come on dude...

I found it so easy to tell that these were actors in a studio in front of a green screen, I could see which parts of the scene were real and which parts were CGI. The actors all looked like they were actors wearing costumes, as opposed to actual believable characters.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

It breaks the illusion. 'Too real' might not be the correct description--maybe uncanny or distracting. 

I don't think so, maybe it just the "movie" that sucks

Thor ragnarok even looks cartonny on 720p screen, let alone 4k screen.

Point is, the movie sucks rather than the screen. Period.

The only problem with 4k movies is they're still like 8 pixels tall and 500000000000000000000000000000000 wide. This super wide shit needs to stop and settle, it's freaking ridiculous how many aspect ratios there are for movies, and almost none of them are ever 16:9 

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

If look for something with less CGI. I watch The Gran Tour on Amazon. It's 4K, and it looks amazing. I've seen the occasional movie on 4K, but it's all been streaming. I don't have a 4K player yet.

I like 4K in things that aren't as CGI heavy. I think it gives more justice to the look. Some movies, like marvel, are very CGI looking even at 1080.

6 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If look for something with less CGI. I watch The Gran Tour on Amazon. It's 4K, and it looks amazing. I've seen the occasional movie on 4K, but it's all been streaming. I don't have a 4K player yet.

I like 4K in things that aren't as CGI heavy. I think it gives more justice to the look. Some movies, like marvel, are very CGI looking even at 1080.

Grand Tour in 4k is phenomenal! I even think it adds some more fluidity even though it's probably both 24fps. 

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

25 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Breaking the illusion is what I meant, it's supposed to be a super natural film, I'm supposed to believe these are real people but it seemed far too easy to tell they were actors in front of a green screen. I'd have to watch a DVD version to compare, maybe a more realistic film with less CGI would be better

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Grand Tour in 4k is phenomenal! I even think it adds some more fluidity even though it's probably both 24fps. 

Amazon also has a formula 1 series today is amazing and is also in 4K.

I think Gran Tour is 60FPS. I know they or a lot of production into it. They have a NatGeo crew for filming (it at least did for season 1).

That's not 4k at fault. That's the filming and effects of the film, and your (our) "trained" visual and cultural acceptance.

No one watching anime in 4k says it looks "too real", because the eyes/brain are trained to accept it as a "cartoon". Watching a nature documentary in 4k is great (though mainly the colour+HDR+ slight detail, good 1080p is very close).

Watching a Action/Super Hero movie with the CGI sent to the lowest bidder (Disney stopped doing in house stuff :( and the good studios went bankrupt!)? Looks naff at 4k!

If you want a fix, try a smoothing/noise filter or something to soften the image. Lol. :D

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

That's not 4k at fault. That's the filming and effects of the film, and your (our) "trained" visual and cultural acceptance.

No one watching anime in 4k says it looks "too real", because the eyes/brain are trained to accept it as a "cartoon". Watching a nature documentary in 4k is great (though mainly the colour+HDR+ slight detail, good 1080p is very close).

Watching a Action/Super Hero movie with the CGI sent to the lowest bidder (Disney stopped doing in house stuff :( and the good studios went bankrupt!)? Looks naff at 4k!

If you want a fix, try a smoothing/noise filter or something to soften the image. Lol. :D

Yeah I think that's the problem, I'd be interested to see the DVD version of the film. The thought of adjusting TV settings to make the image look worse on purpose is just crazy!

I'll definitely check out some non CGI content though.  

Well... yeah, I always felt that way looking at the 4k TVs with auto "upscale" from SD... yes, SD, not even HD. It looked like someone smeared Vaseline on the screen then ran the Photoshop bubble/median filters! :D

But it generally depends on the original content format. I'm just thankful I no longer have to worry about -scanlines- !

You’ll get used to it. People said the same thing about HD and FHD

10 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

I don't think so, maybe it just the "movie" that sucks

Thor ragnarok even looks cartonny on 720p screen, let alone 4k screen.

Point is, the movie sucks rather than the screen. Period.

Wow, you busted the guys balls just so you could say Thor sucked? What a jerk.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that if you saw the movie in a decent theatre with newer equipment? You probably already watched it in 4K.

No, there's no inherent problem with 4K content or movies. The problem is only when the studio cheaps out on the production budget and/or visual effects budget. When the set design and visual effects aren't up to snuff, 4K makes it easier to detect those flaws.

But on the other hand, when 4K content has the proper quality sets and visual effects to back it up? Oh damn - it looks kickass.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

movies are not about 4k or CGI but a good story, but i'm old fashioned.

4k, 3d, etc are all selling points/gimmicks to get people to see crap.

4k only makes sense if you have a big tv, apart from it's just marketing selling products most people don't even need.