NCIX Bankruptcy Auction - Day 2

4 minutes ago, Sakai 121 said:

Just look at how sketchy his channel is and look at the subscribers and viewers per video ratio, and you will know why we all so angry about it

But it isn't our decision, Linus made the choice to not pay him and let him have it. Consider the alternatives, the guy could have straight up said no. They could have bid against each other and the lot been more expensive as a result. I just dont understand the outrage. It feels like fake outrage to me, taking offense on behalf of someone else who isnt offended. 

No offense. 

They see me floatin', they hatin'... patrolling they tryin' to catch me flyin' economy

people are mass reporting his channel to get it deleted , this will end well . bye bye mindchop

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Meh. No one took the plaque from anyone. It belonged to NCIX's channel when Linus was under contract, he built it for NCIX. He had a chance to acquire it during the auction - he stayed quiet during the bidding, the guy was going to let him purchase it, and then Linus kindly let the guy have it. If Linus wanted it he could have easily gotten it. Instead, there was a coming of age, a realization... Linus had a character arc. In an age where the primetime stories we get are of the hero turned anti-hero, we have the entitled villain going from "Do you know who I am?" up to the plaque room and realizing life has moved on, things are different. Linus became the hero, understanding much of what went into making that plaque transferred directly into the current silver plaques they have. Despite the sentimental value the plaque held, it's still just a a piece of -insertmountingmaterialhere- with a molded play button on top and a bit of engraving. Clearly from some of the Youtube comments leveled, this was not the Linus we deserve, but the Linus we need.

Also can we just take a minute to appreciate the profoundly Canadian moment of this exchange? "No, you take the plaque." "No, no, you - you take the plaque."

Also seeing LinusCatTips, which I hadn't heard about, was worth it just alone for seeing the worst possible way to try and wash a cat with claws... For 90% of cats, closing yourself inside a glass shower where the feline-with-claws' only refuge is a giant human-island is a recipe for an absolute catastrophe.

That guy obviously wants that button just to boost his ego. I think Linus had better value to it.

As someone who started following Linus back in 2012 so I could build my first computer, it really makes me sad that Linus didn’t get the play button. (To the point where I’m posting here which I very rarely do) That being said, I think everyone is taking things a bit too far. Linus pulling the “do you know who I am” is completely understandable in this situation. He wasn’t doing it out of ego but rather to let the dude know that he was the creator of NCIXTechTips. As for the kid and his dad. I think it’s pretty stupid and selfish to keep the play button after talking to Linus. (Even after Linus told them to keep it.) But in the end Linus decided to be the bigger person and we should respect Linus’ decision for that. Trying to tear this kid down to return the button will do nothing. If anything, Linus getting the play button back will just remind him of how his followers broke a kid down just to return it. 

10 hours ago, Canada EH said:

He was going to give it to him, but Linus did not want it. Offering his Catnipstechfun plaque and tellin em to change the channel name. Linus really didnt want it, just a show of an excuse to go to the auction IMO to make a filler video. Still interesting non the less. Its Vancouver area so yes prices go sky high, auction knew it, plus I bet lots of bidders had no clue what was going on, what they were really bidding on, just a bunch of people wanting to see the old shop, see Linus show up.

What would be more interesting would be to know how many online bidders there were, and of those who bid, then of course who bid and won.

What was funny as fuck was Linus saying

Do you know who I am

Dont you know who I am

LOL at his ego

I don't think that was ego. Did you not watch the Scrapyard wars videos? People were taking the team for a ride/fan spree. I bet Linus *literally* expected the guy to know who he was, and say "I want a million bucks for it!!!", yet when the guy said "I want it for the one Youtube lost/never gave me", Linus was like "You don't know who I am?" as in, "[You are not trying to con me]?"

Watch the video carefully. The guy with Mindchop... He seems innocent. He might have been led to making troll videos... but even Linus games the algorithm for (example) silly faces on video previews!!!

Linus just wanted a video. Getting late and not bidding should be real clues to this.

The dude was even nice and offered to sell Linus the button for the price he paid

Linus liked the gesture and mentioned the dude's channel in return 

If Linus didn't wanted it, that was on him

Linus fanboys decide to trash the dudes channel

You have to love the internet. xDxDxD

15 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Linus, Linus, Linus ....

Uh when you said something along the lines of "Do you know who I am?" I cringed. A reminder of things past that I thought pointed to you becoming someone I didn't expect you to become. 

Anyway thanks for sharing these last two video of the NCIX Bankruptcy Auction as it brought back memories both good and bad and life well is made up of good and bad.  NCIX never did me wrong and heck I even got some pretty nice free stuff from them through their rewards program.  Also seeing this reminded me of the days when I watched you as an NCIXer. 

Btw PhysX is still awesome and seeing mention of it in these videos of course came up because it is still around today and is awesome as it adds realism to games.

Finally about the button ....

I would have asked for more than over 9000 for it from you.

I think it was more of a This guy came specifically to a NCIX acution for a Youtubers Play button that you would only really know if you knew of the channel. and Linus at points built and was on the channel for a long time.  Would be weird if he didnt know who linus was with the Context. Though granted he was a youtuber aswell that just wanted a play button that also more so relates him into the same world as linus and How many people only know of NCIX but not LTT.

Theres a chance he was also just full of it. i dont think it came off in a way you can really tell for sure which it was. 

I've seen a few people call this video 'filler' and I think that's rather disingenuous.  While I'm only on the outside looking in, NCIX was a big thing in Linus' life, it was a major employer of his and led to him breaking out on YouTube and eventually able to start his own media business.  With all of this spawning from years at NCIX first, I would imagine that he very much wanted to see first hand and record what was really the final dismantling of NCIX.  That kind of event would be significant to a lot of people who had a story like that.

1 minute ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

I think it was more of a This guy came specifically to a NCIX acution for a Youtubers Play button that you would only really know if you knew of the channel. and Linus at points built and was on the channel for a long time.  Would be weird if he didnt know who linus was with the Context.

Well, no, there's an entire community of YOUTUBERS and they themselves chatter about YouTube buttons that make it onto the resale market.

Seriously, people make YouTube VIDEOs about YouTube BUTTONS going up on eBay:

A YouTube button is not unlike certain sports memorabilia that remain unavailable at retail to the public, like a Superbowl ring, and there are communities and scenes online that track and chat about when items like that are found to be up for sale and a member of the public could potentially buy one.

9 hours ago, Sakai 121 said:

Just look at how sketchy his channel is and look at the subscribers and viewers per video ratio, and you will know why we all so angry about it

he does a have video with over  5 million views. he seems to have a few one hti wonders that probably stopped the subscribers from watching the rest as they weren't interested. This channel isnt a long term one and dies out. 

It appears to me Linus never intended to bid on anything, or if he did, why does an alleged intelligent person a) turn up late, b) miss the bidding for the one thing he maybe actually wanted, c) stand in the auction room shouting as if he actually owned the place.

I think they initially wanted to bid but researched and found it wasn't worth it, but still put a 'nothing' video out anyway.

This was just a 'poke a bit of fun at the whole unfortunate mess and scoff at some idiots paying over the odds for questionable quality goods' video. Recently Linus' ego has been a little unbearable.

The last few videos on the LTT channel have been of questionable content enough for me to write this, which I find annoying as I used to really enjoy the channel.

Let alone the rancid fanbase backlash against the Mindchop channel. Regardless of his channel's video's or subscriber/likes/views ratios. He offered Linus the play button, Linus declined.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, no, there's an entire community of YOUTUBERS and they themselves chatter about YouTube buttons that make it onto the resale market.

Seriously, people make YouTube VIDEOs about YouTube BUTTONS going up on eBay:

A YouTube button is not unlike certain sports memorabilia that remain unavailable at retail to the public, like a Superbowl ring, and there are communities and scenes online that track and chat about when items like that are found to be up for sale and a member of the public could potentially buy one.

People sell and Buy sports memorabilla like superbowl rings.

Just now, michaelocarroll007 said:

People sell and Buy sports memorabilla like superbowl rings.

Yes... I... Said that... You quoted me saying that... Then you said it to me.  Why?

3 minutes ago, GrumbleStiltskin said:

It appears to me Linus never intended to bid on anything, or if he did, why does an alleged intelligent person a) turn up late, b) miss the bidding for the one thing he maybe actually wanted, c) stand in the auction room shouting as if he actually owned the place.

I think they initially wanted to bid but researched and found it wasn't worth it, but still put a 'nothing' video out anyway.

This was just a 'poke a bit of fun at the whole unfortunate mess and scoff at some idiots paying over the odds for questionable quality goods' video. Recently Linus' ego has been a little unbearable.

The last few videos on the LTT channel have been of questionable content enough for me to write this, which I find annoying as I used to really enjoy the channel.

Let alone the rancid fanbase backlash against the Mindchop channel. Regardless of his channel's video's or subscriber/likes/views ratios. He offered Linus the play button, Linus declined.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

1 I dont believe he wanted to bid on Anything he has a warehouse full of free stuff. Im sure if something interested him maybe he would But then again the prices made it dumb so probably not

2. i think he had the intention of just going there and buying the play button but didnt realize this would mean Hours and Hours of boring auction Waiting around. probably decided it sort of wasnt worth it too much and or just came back around when he guessed it would be auctioned off and was wrong.

3. He was curious because people were Drastically overpaying and couldnt think of a reason why...

Backlash is really weird considering how linus declined to buy it off the guy.

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yes... I... Said that... You quoted me saying that... Then you said it to me.  Why?

yeah i Accidentally read it as  not Like instead of Not unlike. 

i still find it likely the person who goes to ncix auction for a play button would know who linus is. Not a guarantee 

9 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

3. He was curious because people were Drastically overpaying and couldnt think of a reason why...

While I get that an auction is a legally binding contract, I am curious how many of those buyer's are going to try to 'disappear' or charge back their credit cards or something if they realise what they actually bought for that money.  The GPU Shroud guy would be a prime example.  I wonder how many like him are like 'FUCK FUCK FUCK. HOW DO I GET OUT OF THIS!?'

4 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

1 I dont believe he wanted to bid on Anything he has a warehouse full of free stuff. Im sure if something interested him maybe he would But then again the prices made it dumb so probably not

2. i think he had the intention of just going there and buying the play button but didnt realize this would mean Hours and Hours of boring auction Waiting around. probably decided it sort of wasnt worth it too much and or just came back around when he guessed it would be auctioned off and was wrong.

Backlash is really weird considering how linus declined to buy it off the guy.

I agree the prices were horrific. He was stood there as that auction was unfolding he just wasn't paying attention, I just find it hard to take him seriously sometimes. Backlash to be expected in this day and age. The anonymity of the internet fuels hatred without consequence

36 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

While I get that an auction is a legally binding contract, I am curious how many of those buyer's are going to try to 'disappear' or charge back their credit cards or something if they realise what they actually bought for that money.  The GPU Shroud guy would be a prime example.  I wonder how many like him are like 'FUCK FUCK FUCK. HOW DO I GET OUT OF THIS!?'

I was just as mad as Linus was watching those prices... This is truly a dark era for PC builders and hardware enthusiasts imo... Unless you want to pay up to 3x the MSRP, you can't play. My local Microcenter is a playground for me on the weekends, providing me with my usual technology fix. 90% of the time the GPU and RAM shelves are empty now a days and the prices are insane. I was actually considering purchasing a PowerSpec tower the other day for $1100 because it had a GTX 1070Ti inside of it. The system has good specs for the price, and I knew I could sell the GPU for $900 and the rest of the system for ~$500 based off the i7-7700K on the inside. I DID NOT do it just to be clear, I want to be part of the solution to Hardware prices, not contribute to the problem...

A Dark era this is my friends =( 

Edited by aflyinghotpocket
I can't spell

The shroud buying guy nearly made me ruin my 32inch monitor from laughing.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.