Always have the right connectors in your PSU!

Hello guys, hoping you have a fantastic day

I just came up with the best idea I ever had! currenty I'm running a 8-pin GPU (Asus GTX 760) from the power from a molex cable. Just by soldering the 12V cables together. I was able to run a 170W GPU from a molex cable. unfortiantly (And it didn't came as a suprise) the cable just melted away after a couple of months. Because I was sending 170w of power trough one single small cable. And that got me thinking: I need to spread the load over more cables to stop them from melting and stop my computer from shutting down. And then I rememberd those things that my dad used to connect cables to eatchoter, and they are modulair!!!!!!! I tought to myself: what if I just make a couple of those female connectors to all the cables of the PSU (just by cutting them of en strippingt them) and also make male connectors on the things you want to power. This way you can power things your PSU normally wouldn't power because it didn't have the right connectors. And if you need another connector for any reson, you just swap 'em out.

I hope this works and helps people out! I'm gonna try it today and see if it works, I can't think of any reasons why it wouldn't.

I'm using the connectors in the top left and right of the image.

Cembre-Disconnect-Terminals-Halogen-Free-Cable-Connectors.jpg

To anyone reading this....

FOR GOD SAKES just buy a better power supply.

they don't cost much , you can get great power supplies WITH WARRANTIES with the proper amperage and connectors on them. 

Don't create some frakenstien abomination just because you don't want to spend the 60$ on a proper unit. If your power supply doesn't have the right pci-e connectors it's probably a junk power supply or very old.

just get a proper unit. safer/better all around.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

To anyone reading this....

FOR GOD SAKES just buy a better power supply.

they don't cost much , you can get great power supplies WITH WARRANTIES with the proper amperage and connectors on them. 

Don't create some frakenstien abomination just because you don't want to spend the 60$ on a proper unit. If your power supply doesn't have the right pci-e connectors it's probably a junk power supply or very old.

just get a proper unit. safer/better all around.

60$ is more than the total cost of some PC's. ;)

Yeah you better don't mess with those things, even if your cables are able to run the things you want, there's a big chance the internal components just won't hold up and in a worst case scenario just start burning.

9 minutes ago, Tummy said:

And...?

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

And...?

not everyone is rich xD

11 minutes ago, Tummy said:

it's also less than the cost of dinner with friends. stay in one night , buy a power supply the next day.

Just now, emosun said:

it's also less than the cost of dinner with friends. stay in one night , buy a power supply the next day.

I don't really go out to expencive places. we're highschool students.

1 minute ago, Tummy said:

I don't really go out to expencive places. we're highschool students.

mow 3 lawns at 20$ each , shovel some driveways , take some extra shifts

there's zero reason to splice together a power supply unless it's the apocalypse and no power supplies exist anywhere else

and btw , i've done exactly what you're doing , I've spliced together and made my own server power supplies. it's not worth it. i've done it. there's no reason to do it again in this day and age even if you are on a budget. The power supply is one of the cheapest things in the entire machine.

22 minutes ago, Tummy said:

not everyone is rich xD

The 760 is worth enough to justify a decent budget PSU. The CX/M is often available for $25 after rebate.

7 hours ago, Tummy said:

Hello guys, hoping you have a fantastic day

I just came up with the best idea I ever had! currenty I'm running a 8-pin GPU (Asus GTX 760) from the power from a molex cable. Just by soldering the 12V cables together. I was able to run a 170W GPU from a molex cable. unfortiantly (And it didn't came as a suprise) the cable just melted away after a couple of months. Because I was sending 170w of power trough one single small cable. And that got me thinking: I need to spread the load over more cables to stop them from melting and stop my computer from shutting down. And then I rememberd those things that my dad used to connect cables to eatchoter, and they are modulair!!!!!!! I tought to myself: what if I just make a couple of those female connectors to all the cables of the PSU (just by cutting them of en strippingt them) and also make male connectors on the things you want to power. This way you can power things your PSU normally wouldn't power because it didn't have the right connectors. And if you need another connector for any reson, you just swap 'em out.

I hope this works and helps people out! I'm gonna try it today and see if it works, I can't think of any reasons why it wouldn't.

I'm using the connectors in the top left and right of the image.

Cembre-Disconnect-Terminals-Halogen-Free-Cable-Connectors.jpg

I just did it and it's working prefectly, it was only 3 minutes of work. The cables are mutch cooler now. And I checked the inside of the PSU, everything was fine. I'm running furmark right now and everything is cool.

6 hours ago, seon123 said:

The 760 is worth enough to justify a decent budget PSU. The CX/M is often available for $25 after rebate.

But its extra money you don't need to spend.

1 minute ago, Tummy said:

But its extra money you don't need to spend.

"Yeah, I found these steaks sitting on a bench. I'm going to have these for dinner because buying my own steaks would be extra money I don't need to spend."

2 hours ago, kerradeph said:

"Yeah, I found these steaks sitting on a bench. I'm going to have these for dinner because buying my own steaks would be extra money I don't need to spend."

Than you have a risk of getting sick.

If this goes wrong nothing happens, and I can always bay a psu afterwards.

Just now, Tummy said:

Or, you know, it could kill the rest of the PC, start a fire and stuff

45 minutes ago, Tummy said:

Your power supply is like the circulatory system of your computer. If it fails, it's taking your computer with it. 

3 hours ago, kerradeph said:

Your power supply is like the circulatory system of your computer. If it fails, it's taking your computer with it. 

nope, if it fails, it fails. why would the other components fail? if something in the circuit inside the PSU breaks it will just not deliver power anymore.

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

Or, you know, it could kill the rest of the PC, start a fire and stuff

I have it connected to a switch that can kill all the power at any time. But I have done this before and this Cheap PSU has proven to be very relieable. I also opend it up to check/clean everthing and everything was and is perfectly fine. So I don't expect that this PSU will take the rest with it.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:36 AM, Tummy said:

nope, if it fails, it fails. why would the other components fail? if something in the circuit inside the PSU breaks it will just not deliver power anymore.

I have it connected to a switch that can kill all the power at any time. But I have done this before and this Cheap PSU has proven to be very relieable. I also opend it up to check/clean everthing and everything was and is perfectly fine. So I don't expect that this PSU will take the rest with it.

Something fails causing a short sending 12V to the 3.3 or 5V line. Your janky connection causes strange resistance meaning your video card sees large fluctuations in voltage. Your janky wiring causes issues with the rail that you're running off of causing voltage fluctuations to all of your system components. The power supply is a huge factor in keeping your computer running nicely. Sure sometimes you might have a fairly graceful failure of a PSU but often it goes out noisy and takes as much as it can with it. 

This guy is clearly a troll.  Can we have a mod ban him, please?

• 3 weeks later...
On 31-1-2018 at 5:25 PM, jonnyGURU said:

This guy is clearly a troll.  Can we have a mod ban him, please?

Why do you think that> I can send a pic of it working on my personal PC.

On 28.1.2018 at 12:25 PM, Tummy said:

not everyone is rich xD

Yes, a new PSU is more expensive than a new computer because a shitty/overloded killed all components or even yourself...

Yeah that is totally right - NOT...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 16-2-2018 at 2:02 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, a new PSU is more expensive than a new computer because a shitty/overloded killed all components or even yourself...

Yeah that is totally right - NOT...

Its not overloaded and I know what i'm doing.

You know that there are adapters, right?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

You know that there are adapters, right?

Yes and in most cases its better to replace the PSU than use adaptors.

What would you do, when you have a 520W Topower P4 unit:
a) Replace that 15 Year old Junk

b) use Adaptors to connect your new 1080 to it

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Why in a world would anyone risk their system with such an approach? I'd rather wait months if I have no money and get a proper power supply than do this.