Microsoft is bringing Tabs to every Windows 10 App.

wyattzx
4 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Have you even used w10? You can disable cortana and still use both the search bar and the start menu. I don't remember a time when disabling cortana changed anything in the OS except not being able to use Cortana.

47 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Its data collection can be turned off without deactivating it totally, so that's enough, isn't it?

I mean, that they moved normal functionality to Cortana while letting you deactivating the main components of Cortana (which are the initial components), which collect data on you to function properly (which is perfectly normal since voice or writing recognition need data to work anyway), is okay.

Basically this. Having disabled Cortana down to only SearchUI.exe being left running, data collection and web/store searches have stopped completely.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Its data collection can be turned off without deactivating it totally, so that's enough, isn't it?

I mean, that they moved normal functionality to Cortana while letting you deactivating the main components of Cortana (which are the initial components), which collect data on you to function properly (which is perfectly normal since voice or writing recognition need data to work anyway), is okay.

Doubt it, i have a hunch that its just a fancy switch that do not do anything(judging from their track record so far with spy10)...

Edited by jagdtigger

I get why they did this but thought wouldn't this just screw with people or can we opt out of it. 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 hours ago, laminutederire said:

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Basically this. Having disabled Cortana down to only SearchUI.exe being left running, data collection and web/store searches have stopped completely.

This does not seem to be the case. Even with Cortana and everything else disabled, every time you make a search in the start menu your computer will contact Bing. And yes I checked that by using packet capture before.

You should not believe for a second that the on/off buttons in Windows actually turns things off.

55 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I get why they did this but thought wouldn't this just screw with people or can we opt out of it. 

I would assume that this is designed in a way where you can just not use this feature if you want.  To force it on every app would waste a lot of screen space otherwise.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 hours ago, Drak3 said:

It really hasn't. Every UWP app that comes with Windows 10 can be stripped from Windows 10, including the store. Telemetry and ad related data collection, not a quick process, but an easy one if you can follow a half assed  guide. And just about everything that could have been done in 7, can be done to 10. Microsoft made a UI that was more idiot friendly.

'Drive by' downloads through Google Adsense are a thread that can be done through LTT, YouTube, and just about any other site using Google Adsense, or Facebook's platform. There's also the potential to hijack a trusted website domain, inject malware into the repository of trusted sources, spoofed email, etc.

This shouldn't have to be the case. When it comes to privacy you should not under any stretch of the imagination have to look up guides outside of the control panel to turn off snooping/your data being mined. Although I agree that editing the registry is not difficult, the fact that you have to do so for such a basic process is ridiculous.

Anyone not using an ad blocker and noscript in this day and age is ignorant. These two very simple tools are the solution to all the problems you mention and solve many other frustrations common with web browsing today. I would also strongly recommend an open source, feature rich browser that allows you to pick and choose what content is accepted/denied. I would easily go out on a limb and state that the vast majority of infections with windows are because of user error.

Microshaft's business model is based around data collection. They do not care about the user experience as long as the cash from selling what they mine from you continues to roll in.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

I actually hate it...

PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

CPU Celeron n2830 - GPU Integrated - RAM 1x4GB DDR3 1333MHz - Storage 750 GB 5400RPM HDD

Operating System Windows 10 Home

LinusTechTips.com, where the forum derailing is natural law :P

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To force it on every app would waste a lot of screen space otherwise.

Yah, that's my biggest concern with this. I wonder if this will be production ready by the next update or will they delay it. (Or release it buggy :S )

6 minutes ago, Hellion said:

Anyone not using an ad blocker and noscript in this day and age is ignorant. These two very simple tools are the solution to all the problems you mention and solve many other frustrations common with web browsing today. I would also strongly recommend an open source, feature rich browser that allows you to pick and choose what content is accepted/denied. I would easily go out on a limb and state that the vast majority of infections with windows are because of user error.

If any of what you suggested actually worked as you believe it did, then malware wouldn't be anywhere near as big an issue as it is. It also would only work with advertising platforms. Every other avenue of attack is wide open. Every other avenue can trick tech savvy when done right.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I am probably wrong but ive heard thats only for office 365 members, probably not ive just heard it

23 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If any of what you suggested actually worked as you believe it did, then malware wouldn't be anywhere near as big an issue as it is. It also would only work with advertising platforms. Every other avenue of attack is wide open. Every other avenue can trick tech savvy when done right.

You are wrongfully assuming adblockers can only block ads, since installing Ublock origin and enabling additional lists I've yet to get any unwanted programs or malware, the lists can block anything it's just a matter of keeping up with the latest malware domains.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

This does not seem to be the case. Even with Cortana and everything else disabled, every time you make a search in the start menu your computer will contact Bing. And yes I checked that by using packet capture before.

You should not believe for a second that the on/off buttons in Windows actually turns things off.

Of course it does, it searches on both your computer and the internet for what you type, and since Bing is their search engine it contacts Bing. Should the search engine tied to it to Google and it would contact Google and not send anything to Bing, that's my understanding of it at least

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Explain to me how malware can infect a machine when all scripts except the ones you have specifically chosen to run can't be executed?

8 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Of course it does, it searches on both your computer and the internet for what you type, and since Bing is their search engine it contacts Bing. Should the search engine tied to it to Google and it would contact Google and not send anything to Bing, that's my understanding of it at least

I have the online search disabled too. The point is that just clicking the off button does not necessarily turn something off in Windows.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The point is that just clicking the off button does not necessarily turn something off in Windows.

windows 10*

2 minutes ago, Hellion said:

Explain to me how malware can infect a machine when all scripts except the ones you have specifically chosen to run can't be executed?

Repositories are the servers that host programs, software components, and updates. They have nothing to do with web browsers once you've installed a piece of software unless the update process is installing the new version via browser (which extremely few programs do. Even Adobe Flash and Java only require a web browser to download the base installer).

NoScript and Adblockers operate on blacklists and white lists that are triggered by the source. Spoof the source, like what happens with DNS hijacking, and the script runs fine. This becomes more dangerous as more and more content hosts require ads and scripts to run for the content to be available to the user.

Any trusted source gets spoofed, the host running the spoofed source can easily distribute their malware via user initiated download. This problem plagues the Google Play store.

And this is all assuming that your adblocker or noscript of choice doesn't get compromised.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Repositories are the servers that host programs, software components, and updates. They have nothing to do with web browsers once you've installed a piece of software unless the update process is installing the new version via browser (which extremely few programs do. Even Adobe Flash and Java only require a web browser to download the base installer).

NoScript and Adblockers operate on blacklists and white lists that are triggered by the source. Spoof the source, like what happens with DNS hijacking, and the script runs fine. This becomes more dangerous as more and more content hosts require ads and scripts to run for the content to be available to the user.

Any trusted source gets spoofed, the host running the spoofed source can easily distribute their malware via user initiated download. This problem plagues the Google Play store.

And this is all assuming that your adblocker or noscript of choice doesn't get compromised.

Noscript doesn't work on blacklists created by third parties. It automatically blocks everything by default minus what you choose and then saves that information if you tell it to.

In the very rare occasion of DNS hijacking, this same concept could be applied to microshaft or any other website for that matter. Where do you draw the line between what is and isn't safe? Nothing is 100% secure at all times and these "security updates" won't fix that. It wasn't long ago that ccleaner's downloads were compromised. This could take place anywhere.

If you are downloading anything from any kind of play store then you have bigger problems then what kind of updates your machine is receiving.

why is it that every time there is news surrounding windows that they are doing something to improve the OS, these threads always devolve into people complaining and whining about the same shit over and over?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 12/3/2017 at 3:24 PM, Sierra Fox said:

why is it that every time there is news surrounding windows that they are doing something to improve the OS, these threads always devolve into people complaining and whining about the same shit over and over?

Because fan boys religiously defend windows 10 at any cost despite knowing damn well they have no valid reason to.

Windows 10 bashers are just trying to open the eyes of those that are lazy and/or have their head in the sand regarding what is taking place on their machines.

On 12/3/2017 at 4:24 PM, Sierra Fox said:

They never stop. Some people just always want something to be negative about. 

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

12 hours ago, PETRGangKing said:

They never stop. Some people just always want something to be negative about. 

Well, maybe because it is a constant issue which is not getting fixed?

"Geez, people never stop complaining about cancer. Some people just always want something to be negative about, don't they?".

Edit: And no I am not saying that Windows 10 is as bad as cancer. It's an analogy to highlight how illogical your way of thinking is, not a straight 1:1 comparison.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Well, maybe because it is a constant issue which is not getting fixed?

"Geez, people never stop complaining about cancer. Some people just always want something to be negative about, don't they?".

Edit: And no I am not saying that Windows 10 is as bad as cancer. It's an analogy to highlight how illogical your way of thinking is, not a straight 1:1 comparison.

Jeez, little over dramatic . I never said people shouldn't be able to voice complaints. The question I was answering was why anytime someone wants to talk about the new features, does it always turn into a whining thread. I never said people shouldn't express their complaints about windows. I just think they shouldn't invade threads exploring the new features just to remind everyone that there is unhappy users out there. Some people may like windows, and it's okay if that happens, the world isn't going to end.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

2 hours ago, PETRGangKing said:

Jeez, little over dramatic . I never said people shouldn't be able to voice complaints. The question I was answering was why anytime someone wants to talk about the new features, does it always turn into a whining thread. I never said people shouldn't express their complaints about windows. I just think they shouldn't invade threads exploring the new features just to remind everyone that there is unhappy users out there. Some people may like windows, and it's okay if that happens, the world isn't going to end.

Well there are people in both camps. Look at the conversation which started this whole conversation.

Person1 said this was more reason for him to stick with Windows 7.

Person2 replied that person1 was desperate to use outdated software, and that he was a delusional Windows 10 hater.

On this forum I would say the pro-Windows 10 users are far more hostile and demeaning than the pro-Windows 7 users. Both sides have its share of obnoxious people but it seems like the anti side aims their hatred towards Microsoft, and the pro side aims their hatred to the Windows 7 users. Just saying that you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because you think the drawbacks outweighs the benefits on this forum will make several people insult you and your opinions.

The pro-10 side is just as guilty of the anti-10 side for creating this long threads where shit gets thrown back and fourth.

You can also flip it around. Why do pro-Windows 10 people "invade" threads just to tell everyone how bad Windows 7 is and how much better Windows 10 is? That's what happened in the thread about a recent update to Windows 7 breaking things.

It takes two to tango.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The pro-10 side is just as guilty of the anti-10 side for creating this long threads where shit gets thrown back and fourth.

To be fair usually the pro 10 side is throwing shit onto tbe anti 10 camp, meanwhile the anti 10 side throwing facts(in most cases) onto the other camp....

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Well there are people in both camps. Look at the conversation which started this whole conversation.

Person1 said this was more reason for him to stick with Windows 7.

Person2 replied that person1 was desperate to use outdated software, and that he was a delusional Windows 10 hater.

On this forum I would say the pro-Windows 10 users are far more hostile and demeaning than the pro-Windows 7 users. Both sides have its share of obnoxious people but it seems like the anti side aims their hatred towards Microsoft, and the pro side aims their hatred to the Windows 7 users. Just saying that you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because you think the drawbacks outweighs the benefits on this forum will make several people insult you and your opinions.

You can also flip it around. Why do pro-Windows 10 people "invade" threads just to tell everyone how bad Windows 7 is and how much better Windows 10 is? That's what happened in the thread about a recent update to Windows 7 breaking things.

It takes two to tango.

Right, and I think anyone who behaves that way is ridiculous. Hence why I said "People just want something to be negative about."