Microsoft is bringing Tabs to every Windows 10 App.

wyattzx

One of the most popular feature requests (more than 20,000 votes) for Windows 10 is tabs in File Explorer. Microsoft has resisted adding tabs to File Explorer and apps in general for years, after originally introducing tabs in Internet Explorer 6 with a toolbar extension back in 2005. That resistance is about to change, in a big way. Microsoft is planning to add tabs to apps in Windows 10, allowing you to group together apps in a better way.

Source: The Verge

It looks like Tabs are going to be integrated into "every Windows 10 app," according to The Verge. While the above video only demonstrates its use in Microsoft Office, Microsoft is also bringing the feature to Explorer. It looks to be an integration of Edge into the current app, which for better or worse will allow users to access the web-- or even local storage-- more quickly than they otherwise might have. What concerns me however, is how they're implementing it. From the above demonstration, it looks to be more or less an instance of Edge baked into the app. You more than likely won't be able to change it for a different browser, and I wonder how this will look in the Explorer frame, for one?

Anyways, what do you guys think?

12 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

originally introducing tabs in Internet Explorer 6

Wut? I don’t think IE6 bundled with Windows XP has tabs nor tabbed browsing. It was IE7 of Windows Vista which is the first IE with tabbed browsing and also the first IE to have sandboxing (but not a multi-threaded sandbox like Chrome and IE8). 

4 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

holy shit. yes! i've wanted this for ages, tabs would make file management so much easier

It’s a nice addition to Windows 10 but it makes me wonder how will it work with two or more monitors? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I am not a fan being honest, I like separated windows for each running software and I hope you will have the option to keep things as is.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

i personally like the idea i just wont be able to use it cause im an "activate windows" scrub

oof owie blue liquid is coming out of my eyes pls help

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Is there a way to break tabs away into a new window?

Regardless, DUH MS WHAT TOOK YOU THIS LONG

Well its possible in edge so it should be possible there as well

Yes, I want this to happen so bad. Tabs will make alt-tabbing less of an hassle.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Seems cool. Hopefully it will work for all programs and not just UWP.

Tabs in explorer would be great, but I am worried they will fuck it up somehow.

Given Microsoft's obsession with dropping Win32 and moving everything over to UWP I'd be surprised.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

18 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Given Microsoft's obsession with dropping Win32 and moving everything over to UWP I'd be surprised.

I still dont understand why they still didnt realized that UWP is dead. They failed 4 times already in a row(counting all versions of WP as one)...

Holy crap! So is this like Groupy from Object Desktop then? Groupy is freaking amazing, would have bought Object Desktop just for that...

This is sad they find new retarded ways to make you use store slow apps while ignoring the old windows that rots away in silence, not to mention if explorer gets integrated into edge thats the worst cancer ever, yea yea you will be able to search net and files at the same time, just good luck with those ads in your file exploring sessions, and all your data from your pc will be collected by MS, most of it already is but now all of it will be, and it will also have your name, account, photos and everything personal attached to it, you will be open like a book.

If they cant make a successfull software product(UWP) they will force it onto you.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Seems cool. Hopefully it will work for all programs and not just UWP.

Tabs in explorer would be great, but I am worried they will fuck it up somehow.

Doubt it. And I don't think it will support all UWP either.

I mean it need to reload each program when you do a restore, and get back where you left off. So, say you have Win32 PhotoShop in a tab with an image that you work on, and Word, both in one of those group of tabs. You close it, and resume later. the best you'll get is Word starting where you left off, and Photoshop will load, but not your project file. Mixed with the fact that you have DPI support problem with Win32 programs if they were never updated, and it is common to have Win32 program have a minimum window size for many programs, or some are fixed sizes, it just more complications.

Wow.. because alt-tabbing is so hard! (Also, a lot faster since u don't have to navigate to the specific tab, assuming you have a lot)

My lord, more reasons to stick to W7 64-bit :D They'll never learn

Edit: Also, when you alt-tab, your mouse position stays in the same place as well. You don't need to traverse your mouse's position from the tab, back to where u were originally at. [Saves even more time]

7 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

Wow.. because alt-tabbing is so hard! (Also, a lot faster since u don't have to navigate to the specific tab, assuming you have a lot)

Edit: Also, when you alt-tab, your mouse position stays in the same place as well. You don't need to traverse your mouse's position from the tab, back to where u were originally at. [Saves even more time]

You're literally desperate for reasons to keep using outdated software, aren't you?

They're not disabling alt tab, they're adding an alternative.

I swear, the people who hate windows 10 are so delusional.

3 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

You're literally desperate for reasons to keep using outdated software, aren't you?

They're not disabling alt tab, they're adding an alternative.

I swear, the people who hate windows 10 are so delusional.

I don't hate Windows 10, I just don't see any reasons why I need to upgrade to it with these features, when alt-tab is sufficient enough?

26 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

how do you alt tab with out a keyboard?

this is for situations like touch screen only use cases.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

this is for situations like touch screen only use cases.

Pretty sure this video was illustrated showing a random student in class listening to their teacher (which most likely in library on a school computer.. that has a keyboard (most do) )

In any case, so you're saying that the new features they are adding are geared towards touch screen users? More reasons not to upgrade xD

Just now, JohnMiller92 said:

Pretty sure this video was illustrated showing a random student in class listening to their teacher (which most likely in library on a school computer.. that has a keyboard (most do) )

In any case, so you're saying that the new features they are adding are geared towards touch screen users? Good, more reasons I don't want to upgrade xD

so you wouldn't want tabs for explorer?

Tabs gives more control with in a non keyboard interface, it also improves organization. I don't see why adding more features is bad.

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

so you wouldn't want tabs for explorer?

Tabs gives more control with in a non keyboard interface, it also improves organization. I don't see why adding more features is bad.

It's not for explorer, it's for certain apps.

Tabs for file explorer would be ideal actually, but that's not what is being showcased in the video

1 minute ago, JohnMiller92 said:

It's not for explorer, it's for certain apps.

Tabs for file explorer would be ideal actually, but that's not what is being showcased in the video

yes but they want it be slowly work through out the OS, which means it will work in explorer at some point.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

yes but they want it be slowly work through out the OS, which means it will work in explorer at some point.

Yeah, looks like you are correct, it will be for explorer too. I was just going off the video, didn't read the description. My bad

Just now, JohnMiller92 said:

Yeah, looks like you are correct, it will be for explorer. I was just going off the video, didn't read the description. My bad

I expect it to hit system level applications first then store apps, then maybe some win32 support would be last.

1 hour ago, JohnMiller92 said:

Except if it behaves anything like i3/Sway tabbing on Linux or Groupy on Windows, you can still alt-tab through the tabs.

Application groups are super useful for the same reason workspaces or multiple monitors are super useful. It helps keep things organized if you're using a workflow that involves keeping many applications open, and gives you more control over what you see at a given time.

For hardcore productivity users, this change is a big deal. I don't even care about restoring the tabs in a later session, I just want the ability to group my apps together after opening them to reduce the clutter.

I hope windows explorer is next lol

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4