iPhone X Review – Pushing Me to Android

42 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) he did that poll a long time ago

2) this is a community of mostly tech enthusiasts so of course the percentage is high compared to the general public, go watch some other phone reviews you will notice that a lot of people say they're perfectly unaffected by there not being a headphone jack.

3) I don't use any apple products and never plan to, maybe #dontassumethings and try to understand why the headphone jack is unnecessary to the majority of people (regardless of it being an apple product or not)

Yeah i could see people going into there car and being like oh it doest hook up to the radio or try to plug in there headphones they've had for a while. recation of  like oh wow thats kinda dumb. then just using the lighting adapter and leaving it in the car and then using apples lighting headphones.  and never care about this again. probably will annoy 25% of people at some time once or twice. But only 1-2% are going to care enough to make a big deal or change a purchase because of it. 

Personally id rather it but i could care less if it had a 3.5mm i have 2 pairs of bluetooth headphones already and want to get airpods. my car has bluetooth and i use a bluetooth speaker aswell.

I do have 1 pair of headphones that i would miss using that are decent but typically i plug them into my xbox controller or computer anyhow and maybe 5-10x a year into my phone 

10 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's an interesting theory, and it makes sense.  Personally, I don't plan to switch to BT until headphone batteries can last days.  I listen to music every day while I'm working, and don't want to have to worry about charging them every night.

do you use buds or over the ear? some over the ears are getting pretty lengthy of 18-30 hours of use. Buds though no where near that understandably and wont be getting days of use for any foreseeable future.  

11 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

do you use buds or over the ear? some over the ears are getting pretty lengthy of 18-30 hours of use. Buds though no where near that understandably and wont be getting days of use for any foreseeable future.  

Buds.  I've got an unreasonably giant head (with an ego to match), and every pair of over-the-ear headphones gives me a headache in 5-15 minutes, depending on how loose they are.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Buds.  I've got an unreasonably giant head (with an ego to match), and every pair of over-the-ear headphones gives me a headache in 5-15 minutes, depending on how loose they are.

Yeah bud wise google pixel or airpods that last 4 hours then charge them is the only best bet. if you have a break or dont use them all day the case will charge em. 

I get having certain headphones not work those in ear buds i cant wear for more then 20 minutes before becoming overly uncomfortable right away second 1 there sort of annoying and slowly get worse. 

Headset wise On the ear lasts me a hour or two but Over the ear completely light and not too cheap ones last me all day. 

18 hours ago, Enderman said:

Cause the connector only serves one purpouse, and it's a big waste of space when you could just use a USB-C port or lightning port to also provide audio.

If you want a phone with a headphone jack, there are still a few options that have it so get one of those.

My point is that the large majority of people are fine without it, and in order to save space and reduce complexity, it is a good engineering design choice to remove it.

Maybe their methodology is different? The article I linked said they shine a light into the sensor to force it to max brightness.

The options are quitely disappearing, the Samsung S9 might ditch it and once Samsung does so, LG and Oneplus will follow.

I just think it's laugable to call it old and deprecated technology while litterally every piece of tech I own (PC, laptop, tablet, smartphone, Raspberry Pi) has one. And of course I COULD buy a USB-C headphone if I don't want to hassle of charging it, but that still means throwing away my 3 wired headphones and losing the abilty to charge my phone and listen to music at the same time.

And the 'increase thinness' meme is a poor argument given the latest iPod is 6 mm thin and has a headphone jack.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

I'm happy to see that Linus finally told the world that new things don't always mean it's better.

I really like tech but it's with stuff like this that i think "really?" It's a nice idea don't get me wrong. But in reality it's a meh.

Like, some car tech really confuses me. A few days ago someone told me they got a new car a few months ago, sounds great. But the thing is that it's one of those cars that only needs to have the key in range, like you don't need to use it to unlock or start a car. Just being near it is enough to unlock, start and drive.

Thing is the range on it was a bit too good... The keys were in like the corner of the house in a metal jar because if they just left them in the sofa for example, the car would stay unlocked because the key would be too close... You might not get far driving in it but car papers or whatever could easily be stolen. Or just get them loaded up onto a tow truck. Car drives and is unlocked so no need to break into the damn thing.

Like, what's wrong with a real key? like a metal thingy that's cut into shape?

Tech is nice but it happens more and more often that i think "that's just stupid".

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

On 19.11.2017 at 9:03 PM, nicklmg said:

They still have on-screen buttons by default. Apple is trying to get away from using buttons at all.

on screen buttons are a joke. ever tried to pry focus away from a crashed app when the whole screen is hanging and lagging like crazy? i had situations when a physical home button was sometimes the only thing that stood between a crashed app and a forced hard reset (read: taking the battery out while swearing like a sailor) 

i was looking towards buying an iphone because they still had at least ONE physical button left to control things.

but now that apple is removing even on screen buttons, the whole crowd of android flagship lemmings will copy paste this in the same half assed way they copy pasted almost every other design decision made by apple (R.I.P. headphone jack and removeable batteries) 

On 20/11/2017 at 3:02 PM, Enderman said:

What makes you think that a USB C or lightning headset is worse sound quality? who told you that?

Regarding your comment on wireless headphones and not going to replace my expensive headphones just so I don't have to carry a dongle around but that is why I have an S8 instead. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

On 11/20/2017 at 6:49 AM, nicklmg said:

Dongles are becoming a sad part of daily life for many people these days.

It really is. Especially when you just got the device and had to figure out what types of dongles do you need and how many of them do you need and which brand has slightly better quality products. 

The phones and laptops and such are fine to use. The dongles those smaller companies produce are not that great... or the great ones haven't even coming out yet. Let alone, some official dongles you can get from apple have a lot of issues. 

We are at the crossing point of new gen's tech coming out and hence we are paying the price for it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 11/20/2017 at 6:54 AM, nicklmg said:

But my QC35s connect to my laptop literally every time with no issues, and my Airpods have been incredible.

A lot of people hoping that apple one day (sooner or later) will licensing out their W1 chip. 

But many said dont keep your hopes high.

Imagine QC35 with W1 chip in them. (not those beats crap...)

On 11/20/2017 at 7:05 AM, nicklmg said:

Removing headphone jack saves space and (I think?) potentially helps with waterproofing, so I get why manufacturers are doing it. I also get why people are frustrated by it.

I think that the decision of removing headphone jack is definitely not just coming from the function angle. It is a business decision as well. Those wireless earbuds google and apple put out is not cheap. Yes, they have to keep the technology moving forward, (otherwise who actually needs a car, or a USB drive) while at the same time profit from it. 

On 11/20/2017 at 7:05 AM, kirashi said:

I want a slightly thicker phone so I can actually get 3-5 days of battery life out of it, let alone even a day

i think that it has to do with marketing and how those competitions got started: 

• who can make a prettier phone? 
  • who can make them slimmer?
  • who can make them more appealing to general public
  • how do you compare those phones? 

Also try to understand this: tech enthusiasts see tech gadget differently than general public. 

When one person went to the AT&T and sign their contract, what are they gonna ask and see? ==> which phone is prettier, which is slimmer, which looks more elegant, which feels more premium (slimmer) , which phone does not feel cheap. 

you can certainly argue that slimmer phone does not mean they are more premium, but the general public do not. People who ask specific functions are not general public. Namingly you and me and all those people on r/android. 

On 11/20/2017 at 7:13 AM, Enderman said:

Otherwise your car would have a USB port, a 3.5mm port, a CD drive, a tape drive, and record player all at the same time.

who needs those 4 wheels thingy when you can ride a horse? 

On 11/20/2017 at 11:23 AM, SupremeChunk said:

I owned a Galaxy S, S3, and S4, and was always plagued by these issues. How are things looking nowadays?

I dont think that those issues are going to go away any time soon. i've never heard one person who said other wise. oh yeah when it comes to general user, they dont know how to flash a custom OS on their phone. (so whoever claims everyone should do it can back off)

On 11/20/2017 at 11:37 AM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'm probably just going to wait for next year.

Also, I wouldn't mind no jack if every Android OEM used the same standard. Sadly, they don't and I have to play the stupid game of "will this dongle work?".....

the apple side isn't bright either. many 3rd party makers make USB c dongles. 

and most of them are trash. some of them claims to be good, but actually trash. the rest are top notch and it is unavailable for your region or out of stock. and apple's own dongles cost you a pair of designer's shoe. *rollling eyes*

2 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

i think that it has to do with marketing and how those competitions got started: 

• who can make a prettier phone? 
  • who can make them slimmer?
  • who can make them more appealing to general public
  • how do you compare those phones? 

Also try to understand this: tech enthusiasts see tech gadget differently than general public. 

When one person went to the AT&T and sign their contract, what are they gonna ask and see? ==> which phone is prettier, which is slimmer, which looks more elegant, which feels more premium (slimmer) , which phone does not feel cheap. 

you can certainly argue that slimmer phone does not mean they are more premium, but the general public do not. People who ask specific functions are not general public. Namingly you and me and all those people on r/android. 

Oh I totally agree that most consumers blindly accept what they're being sold when it comes to technology, and only complain when the product is a "flaming pile of shit", if I quote a friend of mine who hates LG because he had issues with one of the first production runs of LG G5 phones. The thing is he's actually very much a tech enthusiast as well, but got this phone because of all the hype before people started discovering manufacturing issues with them. To be fair, I understand that nothing is 100% bulletproof or guaranteed due to many things beyond a single person or company's control.

I'm just strongly of the belief that manufacturers should be held 100% accountable for designing and manufacturing products that work exactly as advertised 99.9% of the time during their useful lifespan, where useful lifespan is a realistic amount of time one should expect the product to work, and not limited to the 1yr legally mandated warranty. That being said, I'm not saying consumers should hold on to their phones for 10 years either, then complain about why they don't get updates, but there has to be a middle ground somewhere.

I guess I just get frustrated because I wish more consumers actually cared about things they bought instead of treating everything like a throwaway item, because I know I sure don't have $1000 CAD lying around to replace my Android phone every 2 years, as manufacturers seem to think I should be doing. Unfortunately, I think it'll take actual government regulation before companies even care to listen to consumers, or before consumers care about not living in a throwaway society.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

somebody please, please, please ID that coat! I've been searching for it ever since I saw that video, I even made an account here ffs :)
Thanks in advance!