Windows is keeping a massive amount of storage in files I can't delete (%98 of my SSD)

suchamoneypit
Go to solution Solved by suchamoneypit,

I ended up doing this 

Halo wars 2 reinstalled itself AND downloaded a 13GB DLC I dont even own, taking up 48GB in total. I know for a fact I uninstalled the game weeks ago.

Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to uninstall a windows game, and it was hidden in subfolders. Amazing horrible work on microsoft's part. How can you build a UI which such a common option so hard to reach. Truly disgusting design.

triggered

BJRL0Pg.png

no matter what I do I can't delete them even when It asks for permissions. says it requires permission from SYSTEM and I cannot do that.

I have a 128GB SSD and I dont have a single game or movie downloaded. There space is there but I can't use it.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Further review and its like 2 installs of Halo Wars 2 worth which I deleted weeks ago. Still trying on how to delete it.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Delete from Admin CMD?

how

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

how

Somtimes the command line is more effective. But have you tried just deleteing the folders from windows explorer instead of whatever file manager is in the screenshots? THis doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Could you please explain what actually happens when it doesn't allow you to delete the files?

Computers r fun

5 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Further review and its like 2 installs of Halo Wars 2 worth which I deleted weeks ago. Still trying on how to delete it.

the fact that I just spent 4 minutes trying to figure out where to uninstall a windows game and its no where to be found blows my fucking mind.

How can you create a game delivery platform which such a crucial task is so hard to do. Its like finding out your E-brake in your car is in your trunk and you have to go back there and find it to use it, and its a manual transmission so you HAVE to use the e-brake.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-access-windowsapps-folder-in-windows-10/ should help, it explains how to set the permissions on Windowsapps so that you can then manually delete files and whatever in there.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Somtimes the command line is more effective. But have you tried just deleteing the folders from windows explorer instead of whatever file manager is in the screenshots? THis doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Could you please explain what actually happens when it doesn't allow you to delete the files?

yeah I tried from explorer and it brought up a prompt and said could not delete file and that it needs permission from "SYSTEM" and does not prompt to give it permission and just closes

Okay,

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

the fact that I just spent 4 minutes trying to figure out where to uninstall a windows game and its no where to be found blows my fucking mind.

How can you create a game delivery platform which such a crucial task is so hard to do. Its like finding out your E-brake in your car is in your trunk and you have to go back there and find it to use it.

Yes, MS IMO has been making some pretty incompitant software. Onedrive deletes my files, and the sync doesnt even work right...Nevermind the 1mb/s limit.

Computers r fun

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

yeah I tried from explorer and it brought up a prompt and said could not delete file and that it needs permission from "SYSTEM" and does not prompt to give it permission and just closes

I was just gonna say you need to take ownership of the folder, but this guy beat me too it:

Just now, WereCatf said:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-access-windowsapps-folder-in-windows-10/ should help, it explains how to set the permissions on Windowsapps so that you can then manually delete files and whatever in there.

Computers r fun

I ended up doing this 

Halo wars 2 reinstalled itself AND downloaded a 13GB DLC I dont even own, taking up 48GB in total. I know for a fact I uninstalled the game weeks ago.

Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to uninstall a windows game, and it was hidden in subfolders. Amazing horrible work on microsoft's part. How can you build a UI which such a common option so hard to reach. Truly disgusting design.

triggered

Next time try Disk Cleanup 

In Windows 7 , you would hit start and type Disk Cleanup and it would show up in the search results, where you can right click on it and select Run as administrator. Running as administrator enables some more advanced cleanup options.  I don't know how it's in WIndows 10.

You could have probably been able to delete those folders after disabling Windows Installer service or something like that.