128Gb SSD, 256GB SSD or 1TB HDD

cobra6

Hi guys,

I currently have a 128GB SSd installed but its almost full, so im deciding between a 128GB/256GB ssd or a 1tb hdd. I want to be able to install many games and i want them to load fast but the 256GB SSD is expensive compared to the 1TB HDD and im worried that ill fill up another 128GB SSD ver quickly. This is because i still have 6 games to redeem at AMD.com and company of heroes red star edition to install. Also i live in the netherlands so any sites like amazon wont deliver here. So ill give you the prices for the drives: 128GB SSD - 85 euros, 256GB SSD - 160 euros and the 1TB HDD is 65 euros. Both of the ssd have a read of 555MB/s and a writespeed of 530MB/s. The HDD has a 64mb cache, a rpm of 7200 and a read of 156MB/s. Any help will be much appreciated.

XFX suck donkeyballs

Most games are absolutely fine on a HDD, it's games with long loading times that you want to put on an SSD.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I have a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, only one game is installed on the SSD and that's SWTOR. All my other games load perfectly fast as it is. 

Except BF4, that shit takes forever to load.

Edited by Kick

t's games with long loading times that you want to put on an SSD.

BF4 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I would use the ssd as boot drive and I would buy one wd velociraptor to store all games! ;)

You could get another 250GB and RAID 0 it.

Or just get a HDD and use the 128 gb one to store games with really long load times.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Keep your multiplayer games on a larger HDD and the single ones/favs on the SSD. Even with an SSD, you still have to wait for everyone else if multi. It all depends on how much you plan on storing.

BF4 

Yep, BF4 should be on an SSD, that's where I have it :P

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Im putting BF4 on my SSD (thats why its full). Anyway after reading all your replies im thinking about going for the HDD (which will also be lighter on my wallet) instead of a SSD. but are any of you familiar with the load times of company of heroes, because im wondering

XFX suck donkeyballs

I would use the ssd as boot drive and I would buy one wd velociraptor to store all games! ;)

JAJAJAJAJA,

only if you don't have enough $$$ for an SSD and too much for a HDD would the raptor make any sense

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

HDD iv'e recently switched to an 120gb SSD and I can see myself filling it up quite easily but a hard drive is always an option even if it is a bit slower. Buying SSD apon SSD to give yourself space would be very expensive and HDD's always work no matter what is on them.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I have a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, only one game is installed on the SSD and that's SWTOR. All my other games load perfectly fast as it is. 

Except BF4, that shit takes forever to load.

BF4 litteraly made me buy an SSD during black friday lol

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.