I'm officially done with RGB

Check these things out:

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/case-accessories/universal-single-color-led-strip/

They look almost like cold cathodes, but they're LEDs.

I've wanted to do cold cathodes for a long time but never did because of the dangers associated with them and the cheap quality of the ones that have been around lately,

but an LED strip that looks like them changes everything.

So, I'm officially done with RGB.

I never liked how the lights were separate and not just uniform across the strip.

These are so much cooler.

Having to go with a single colour is small price to pay for how these look to me.

Question though:

What do you guys think about the idea of putting these in thin acrylic or glass tubes to go all out in making them look like cathodes?

That might be a good idea if I did it right.. Like, bent them so they are flush with the back of the case so they look like they're coming out like watercooling tubes.

Good idea or bad idea?

Well the difference is that what you linked is meant to be displayed itself, where LEDs arent. With LEDs you place them so you can't see the strip, but you can see how the light is thrown in the case. With these the purpose is to display them.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Well the difference is that what you linked is meant to be displayed itself, where LEDs arent. With LEDs you place them so you can't see the strip, but you can see how the light is thrown in the case. With these the purpose is to display them.

Yea I know,

I'm just sick of the RGB craze in general though.

I really wanted to do something different.

Now I can without worrying about blowing my power supply with a cathode kit :P

"Get lit"

Nonononononoooononoo. Please no.

Otherwise, these look cool from these promotional images, but I wonder how they look in an actual build.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea I know,

I'm just sick of the RGB craze in general though.

I really wanted to do something different.

Now I can without worrying about blowing my power supply with a cathode kit :P

Honestly I'm done with flashy stuff in general, just kinda grew out of it. No lights for me.

These are the cathodes I really wanted to do but they're just too sketch especially the cheap build quality of these ones... but man they're cool. I hope someone comes up with an LED strip that emulates this thunder effect some day if that's possible: 

https://www.amazon.ca/Logisys-Liquid-Thunder-Pattern-Light/dp/B003E3Z4IS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1508777597&sr=1-1&keywords=Logisys+Blue+Liquid+Neon+Thunder+Pattern+Light

So you'd see the strip with your implementation? I suppose that'd make the LED kits a bit less desirable. Otherwise I'd rather have the option that RGB provides. I've never understood the hate personally, it's like people don't want to like it because it's becoming mainstream. Bunch of hipsters. It gives you infinite choice and possibility, there's very little downside.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Honestly I'm done with flashy stuff in general, just kinda grew out of it. No lights for me.

I still like a bit of flash as long as it's subtle.

That's the thing.

Most RBG setups I see these days are just over the top.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

These are the cathodes I really wanted to do but they're just too sketch especially the cheap build quality of these ones... but man they're cool. I hope someone comes up with an LED strip that emulates this thunder effect some day if that's possible: 

https://www.amazon.ca/Logisys-Liquid-Thunder-Pattern-Light/dp/B003E3Z4IS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1508777597&sr=1-1&keywords=Logisys+Blue+Liquid+Neon+Thunder+Pattern+Light

That'd be cool, but only if you could hide those hideous end caps.

Sort of like the RAM that has the same effect.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

So you'd see the strip with your implementation? I suppose that'd make the LED kits a bit less desirable. Otherwise I'd rather have the option that RGB provides. I've never understood the hate personally, it's like people don't want to like it because it's becoming mainstream. Bunch of hipsters. It gives you infinite choice and possibility, there's very little downside.

It's not hate.

Just personal preference. 

I still have an ASUS strix with RGB in the center of my build that I turn on sometimes, but I mostly just leave it on a single colour on a breathing effect mode.

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

I still like a bit of flash as long as it's subtle.

That's the thing.

Most RBG setups I see these days are just over the top.

You say that.... Yet you're talking about the least subtle option for lighting lol.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

You say that.... Yet you're talking about the least subtle option for lighting lol.

hmm.. You'll have to wait and see what I'm planning on doing with them well when I figure that out.

I'm trying to simulate a cold cathode so it looks like something sci-fi.

Again, thinking about putting these in thin glass or acrylic tubes.. maybe not. haven't decided.

Just something different from the usual RGB kit.

hmm.. You'll have to wait and see what I'm planning on doing with them well when I figure that out.

I'm trying to simulate a cold cathode so it looks like something sci-fi.

Again, thinking about putting these in thin glass or acrylic tubes.. maybe not. haven't decided.

Just something different from the usual RGB kit.

Nothing sci-fi with cathodes is subtle. I love that theme in general, but it's roughly as subtle as a blood-soaked chainsaw.

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Nothing sci-fi with cathodes is subtle. I love that theme in general, but it's roughly as subtle as a blood-soaked chainsaw.

Maybe subtle is the wrong word.. more like a defined, classy style to them instead of looking live a rave.

Maybe subtle is the wrong word.. more like a defined, classy style to them instead of looking live a rave.

Sorry man, I'm going to have to stand by what I said. I love the theme you're talking about, but classy and subtle are maybe the worst descriptions for them. Awesome? Yes. Classy? Ehhhhh.... Who cares?

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Sorry man, I'm going to have to stand by what I said. I love the theme you're talking about, but classy and subtle are maybe the worst descriptions for them. Awesome? Yes. Classy? Ehhhhh.... Who cares?

meh, semantics. I don't really care about the proper word for it anyhow. 

It just looks cool.

meh, semantics. I don't really care about the proper word for it anyhow. 

It just looks cool.

Maybe clean? Depending on how you do it. A lot of RGB Stuff looks super cluttered.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Maybe clean? Depending on how you do it. A lot of RGB Stuff looks super cluttered.

yea, that works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 2:03 PM, JoeyDM said:

My idea is not going to work because they're super bright.

Looking at them directly is like staring into the sun.

I just have one at the bottom and one behind the radiator to hide them and direct their light...

but look at the damn celing

holy crap these are bright to a fault.

Still pretty cool though.

They don't have that look where you can see the individual light beams sometimes like with regular RGB strips.

Any photos I take with my phone look washed out though. 

I'd need a better camera to capture it.

It looks way cooler in preson. The blue is way deeper. It doesn't have that slight purple vibe like in the close up photo.

ceiling  blue.jpg

VR tether cropped.jpg

I'm surprised no company has made tubing with integrated LEDs, so instead of UV fluid making the loop look luminescent it literally is luminescent. It'd be a little hard and would definitely sacrifice flow rate, but it's absolutely possible and shouldn't hit performance much.

Not that I'd want it, I just imagine it would be popular.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:54 AM, JoeyDM said:

Thank god I'm not the only one! I've had enough of the super flashy stuff. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

On 10/23/2017 at 5:46 PM, stateofpsychosis said:

Check these things out:

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/case-accessories/universal-single-color-led-strip/

They look almost like cold cathodes, but they're LEDs.

I've wanted to do cold cathodes for a long time but never did because of the dangers associated with them and the cheap quality of the ones that have been around lately,

but an LED strip that looks like them changes everything.

So, I'm officially done with RGB.

I never liked how the lights were separate and not just uniform across the strip.

These are so much cooler.

Having to go with a single colour is small price to pay for how these look to me.

Question though:

What do you guys think about the idea of putting these in thin acrylic or glass tubes to go all out in making them look like cathodes?

That might be a good idea if I did it right.. Like, bent them so they are flush with the back of the case so they look like they're coming out like watercooling tubes.

Good idea or bad idea?

There's nothing wrong with putting them inside a strip, but there's not really much danger with mounting cold cathodes in your case; just ensure that you aren't able to look directly at them and you'll be fine.

14 hours ago, Sylvie said:

There's nothing wrong with putting them inside a strip, but there's not really much danger with mounting cold cathodes in your case; just ensure that you aren't able to look directly at them and you'll be fine.

It's the ones I want from the only brand that makes them that are sketchy. I've seen reviews where they have set on fire, blown power supplies, took out other components as well, etc.

These ones:

https://www.amazon.ca/Logisys-Liquid-Thunder-Pattern-Light/dp/B003E3Z4IS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1508777597&sr=1-1&keywords=Logisys Blue Liquid Neon Thunder Pattern Light&tag=linustechti06-20

I don't trust the wiring on these things by the sounds of it.

They might have 4 stars in their review but I've read a lot of stuff on these and they're hit and miss.

Some people have no trouble with them, but others had nightmarish problems because of them.