Pros and Cons of Dreamweaver compared with notepad to create websites

Go to solution Solved by Cieronph,

I know im late to the party here, but will throw my opinion in anyway. I have only briefly used both Notepad++ and dreamweaver as IDE's and found them both to have issues or characteristics i didnt like. With Dreamweaver I found it was simply trying to do too much, which made it cluttered and clunky at times, for example it tried to appeal to beginners with templates and drag and drop functionality while also branding itself towards professional use by simply being an adobe product and integration with git. In contrast I found Notepad++ to be the complete other end of the spectrum, it feels very minimalist and while it does have lots of addon support and ability to customise for me it certainly felt like a text editor and not an environment I could work in on a daily basis. Its great for portability e.g. A hotfix needs to be implemented and i simply need to jump into FTP grab 1 single file and update it. In this scenario the text formatting is clean and its easy to modify a file, however in long term work I found the lack of a file tree was a major issue.

I know this is outside the reach of your assignment but I have been using Aptana Studio for the past 2-3 years and its done everything I could need, its based on the eclipse platform and comes either as an addon or standalone and is completely free and open source. Sure it has some annoying bugs which when having to use daily used to really annoy me (specifically the git integration can be patchy at the best of times) but on the whole its pretty solid and has done me well.

Hope you do well on your assignment 

Cieron

I need help, I am supposed to find out the pros of cons of Dreamweaver compared to notepad when creating a website, I already know how to code. But our project is to remind us which one is better in terms of production and user friendly experiences, but I need pros and cons of both

dreamweaver is one of those "be all end all" tools of website creation, aiming to contain just about every tool you can imagine.

as for notepad.. thats pretty much the exact oposite..

i'm not sure how to even compare those.

I hate dreamweaver. The only real advantages are a "live" view of what you are coading and auto line enders.  That's it. And templates of course. If you have access to dreamweaver then use that...if not don't go our and buy it just use note pad or notepad +

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I use Notepad++ and i really like it for CSS and HTML but for java script in realy recruitment netbeans, Bove are free and provide the same level of ? coding ??? 

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

https://netbeans.org/

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

Something like Atom and the Lifeserver exstension for it can also give features like real-live updating when CSS is changed.

Look into NPM and Browser-Sync, might help you.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

I personally use WebStorm from JetBrains (Javascript IDE). It has support for HTML, CSS (SASS)... the for real-time updates I usually use Browser-Sync...

For what I use it, its one of the best IDEs IMO...

It's also depending on what you want to do with it... maybe it's better just using a really basic Code Editor with syntax highlighting in the beginning (thats what I personally used back then, IMO it helped me a lot to learn things by heart really quickly and gave me a deeper understanding of how things work)...  

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

I know im late to the party here, but will throw my opinion in anyway. I have only briefly used both Notepad++ and dreamweaver as IDE's and found them both to have issues or characteristics i didnt like. With Dreamweaver I found it was simply trying to do too much, which made it cluttered and clunky at times, for example it tried to appeal to beginners with templates and drag and drop functionality while also branding itself towards professional use by simply being an adobe product and integration with git. In contrast I found Notepad++ to be the complete other end of the spectrum, it feels very minimalist and while it does have lots of addon support and ability to customise for me it certainly felt like a text editor and not an environment I could work in on a daily basis. Its great for portability e.g. A hotfix needs to be implemented and i simply need to jump into FTP grab 1 single file and update it. In this scenario the text formatting is clean and its easy to modify a file, however in long term work I found the lack of a file tree was a major issue.

I know this is outside the reach of your assignment but I have been using Aptana Studio for the past 2-3 years and its done everything I could need, its based on the eclipse platform and comes either as an addon or standalone and is completely free and open source. Sure it has some annoying bugs which when having to use daily used to really annoy me (specifically the git integration can be patchy at the best of times) but on the whole its pretty solid and has done me well.

Hope you do well on your assignment 

Cieron

C

Intel

8 hours ago, Cieronph said:

With Dreamweaver I found it was simply trying to do too much, which made it cluttered and clunky at times, for example it tried to appeal to beginners with templates and drag and drop functionality while also branding itself towards professional use by simply being an adobe product and integration with git.

last time i used dreamweaver was a few year ago now but I remember it being super messy in term to styling with stupid auto namaimg and using inline styles over css.

this is why "ides" like atom, notepad++ I consider better you have absolute control over you html.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´