Jump to content
i_build_nanosuits

My opinions on VR in it's current state, should YOU buy into it?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 18/10/2017 at 11:13 AM, Morgan Everett said:

Is there any reason I, as a non-gamer, should buy a VR headset?

hi, i come back to you because i thought about you today and this question and i didn't gave a fair answer...there are a lot of things you can do that are not games other than movies like i said yesterday...

For example there is Goggle earth VR which is pretty impressive, it's very cool to see in VR and they even have all the street view now available in full 3d and the perspective is spot on and it works really well.

Also there are all the ''creative'' oriented, for example ''medium'' that let you sculpt in 3d with clay and stuff, or google tilt brush for example...if you have some drawing habilities you can also like Kingspray grafitti for example which is amazing, i own it and i love it...the feeling of spraying with the cans in VR is spot on with the oculus controllers...it's very cool.

There are also a lot of ''visiting'' or ''travel'' things...i don't know how they are called...like the chernobyl VR project for example, or the apollo moon mission...there are many like that, things you can visit...museum, caves, all 360 sites you can visit and walk around in...etc.

 

there is quite a lot of stuff available that non-gaming related is what i'm saying :)

see ya!


| CPU: Core i7-4770K @ 4.2ghz  Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080 OC  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1866 mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift + Touch

 

Read: My opinions on VR in it's current state, should YOU buy into it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a great read!

 

Now that I own an RX 580, I am tempted to pick up a Rift around tax season when it goes on sale again.

 

After using all 3 of the major flavors of VR (Vive, Rift, and PSVR), I like the Oculus Rift the best.

 

I just think the overall image quality is better on the Rift (I have 20/10 vision, so I know this is very subjective).

 

Do you think it would be worth it to get the third sensor for room scale with rift? Do you have any experience with that?

 

Thanks!


AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

Do you think it would be worth it to get the third sensor for room scale with rift? Do you have any experience with that?

 

Thanks!

Yes actually if you read the whole post...i do recommend to order a 3rd sensor for full 360 tracking from floor to ceiling on an area i would say 8'X8' or slightly less...ideally thats what i use and it's perfect...7'7' and i do also recommend to buy HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0 extensions on amazon (use google to know which one to order, they dont all work) or Oculus store has the 12' replacement cable for 50$ or 60$ i believe...extensions cost 22$US on amazon. 3rd sensor to order on oculus store...oculus store has no shipping fee or taxes to pay in most areas in us and canada. The price you see on oculus store is the price you pay.

 


| CPU: Core i7-4770K @ 4.2ghz  Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080 OC  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1866 mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift + Touch

 

Read: My opinions on VR in it's current state, should YOU buy into it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Yes actually if you read the whole post...i do recommend to order a 3rd sensor for full 360 tracking from floor to ceiling on an area i would say 8'X8' or slightly less...ideally thats what i use and it's perfect...7'7' and i do also recommend to buy HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0 extensions on amazon (use google to know which one to order, they dont all work) or Oculus store has the 12' replacement cable for 50$ or 60$ i believe...extensions cost 22$US on amazon. 3rd sensor to order on oculus store...oculus store has no shipping fee or taxes to pay in most areas in us and canada. The price you see on oculus store is the price you pay.

 

Ha! YOU CAUGHT ME! (LOL)

 

Do you mind sharing a picture of your setup with Rift room scale?


AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 08/12/2017 at 3:35 PM, Jon Jon said:

Ha! YOU CAUGHT ME! (LOL)

 

Do you mind sharing a picture of your setup with Rift room scale?

sure!! i forgot about this thread for a while (sry), here is my setup i have two sensors in front (one on top of the PC and one on the guitar amp), 1 in the back corner (pic 2) and cable extentions for my rift now cable is about 12 to 14ft long not sure exactly...i have soft rubberized tiles on the floor for comfort in games where i play standing such as onward for example which is AMAZING to play on this...and racing wheel (logitech) for project cars 2

 

The monitor is a 27'' 1440p Gsync predator, for other games and desktop use:

 

2018-03-02_11.39.11.jpg

 

2018-03-02_11.38.49.jpg

 

2018-03-02_11.39.19.jpg

 


| CPU: Core i7-4770K @ 4.2ghz  Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080 OC  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1866 mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift + Touch

 

Read: My opinions on VR in it's current state, should YOU buy into it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 1:05 AM, i_build_nanosuits said:

-Snip-

 

I really like your PC setup.


AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

well i love the idea and only having tryed it for short times elsewhere im thinking about getting one for a long time but first id need a new gpu so lets wait and see what nvidia brews up. also from what i have lastly seen im a bit disappointed about the support in games. id really love for every new AAA game to support it at least in some way. games made specifically for vr have seemed a bit dull and do feel mor like mobile game concepts. id love to play mass effect or far cry or gta or that kinda stuff you know what i mean. 

also prices have come down to what i would call resonable rit + touch bundle is like 400-450 ish around here and you can find great deals on used sets of people who decided its not worth it to them or theyre just not that into it anymore. 

but i would need some way to have it out of the way like linus showed in his video on how to stealth your vr setup.

 

right now im kinda torn because i just checked out microsofts mixed reality and that looks pretty awesome too so for me ill firstly get a new gpu and then game compatibility will decide which one im goin for


"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

 

ALFHEIMhttps://github.com/CluelessGenius/Alfheim

 

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Custom IN WIN 901

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 14/05/2018 at 10:41 AM, cluelessgenius said:

well i love the idea and only having tryed it for short times elsewhere im thinking about getting one for a long time but first id need a new gpu so lets wait and see what nvidia brews up. also from what i have lastly seen im a bit disappointed about the support in games. id really love for every new AAA game to support it at least in some way. games made specifically for vr have seemed a bit dull and do feel mor like mobile game concepts. id love to play mass effect or far cry or gta or that kinda stuff you know what i mean. 

also prices have come down to what i would call resonable rit + touch bundle is like 400-450 ish around here and you can find great deals on used sets of people who decided its not worth it to them or theyre just not that into it anymore. 

but i would need some way to have it out of the way like linus showed in his video on how to stealth your vr setup.

 

right now im kinda torn because i just checked out microsofts mixed reality and that looks pretty awesome too so for me ill firstly get a new gpu and then game compatibility will decide which one im goin for

980ti/1070/1070ti are great for VR...

games are getting good in VR...there are many games that can only be played in VR that are top notch games...here to illustrate my point some games worth playing in VR

 

Robinson : The journey ...made with Crytek's Cryengine 3 the one they used for crysis 3...it's EPIC:

 

Robinson_The_Journey_screenshot_HIGS_fou

robinson-the-journey-screen-01-ps4-us-09

 

 

Red Matter is a good example of modern adventure/exploration game in VR...it's very polished and it looks awesome in full 3D, very fun gameplay as well:

 

Red-Matter-Screenshot-03-LOGO.jpg

 

Red-Matter-Screenshot-04-LOGO.jpg

 

img_2580.jpg?resize=1210,642&ssl=1

 

There are so many games to play on Steam and Oculus store you can spend all your freetime in VR and then some at this point.


| CPU: Core i7-4770K @ 4.2ghz  Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080 OC  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1866 mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift + Touch

 

Read: My opinions on VR in it's current state, should YOU buy into it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2017 at 4:13 PM, Morgan Everett said:

Is there any reason I, as a non-gamer, should buy a VR headset?

It really depends on what you want from such an experience and device?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who owns an Oculus Rift, my best experiences so far are VRChat, Airtone, DolphinVR, and Skyrim VR.

 

I think that the current screendoor effect is a boon for low res or low fidelity assets. But there are cases which I wish I could see more clearly.

VR sickness has not been bad for me at all.

 

I mean to buy Beat Saber and buy or try many other games, soon. But Airtone is the best rhythm game I've tried so far.

DolphinVR is just, wow. Best way to play Gamecube and Wii games ever. Super Mario Galaxy is unbelievable. I can't stop playing Mario Kart Wii in VR, either. I don't want to go back to playing Mario Kart Wii outside of VR, again, either. It's boring in comparison!

 

I never have been an Elder Scrolls person. Some of their design choices are.. not my thing. I think the game I played most was a heavily modded Oblivion, and that was only for about 24 hours before I put the game down. But with Skyrim VR I am well on my way to putting in those huge numbers of hours I've heard some people have played. Modding still goes a long way to making the game better, especially for me as someone who doesn't find the character designs pleasant. Walking around is nice, though, and it's one of the nicest big games available to play. Lots of content, lots to explore. Definitely going to put a lot of time in this just exploring and doing things, while I wait for a proper JRPG to come out in VR.

 

I would say though, that it is a lot more fun shooting arrows that slashing with a sword, typically.

 

And VRChat is basically my life now. Woefully unoptimized, though. That would be my biggest criticism of VRChat, they're using an outdated version of Unity. And if you're susceptible to VR sickness, the frames can get really bad really easily.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Lalafell said:

DolphinVR is just, wow. Best way to play Gamecube and Wii games ever. Super Mario Galaxy is unbelievable. I can't stop playing Mario Kart Wii in VR, either. I don't want to go back to playing Mario Kart Wii outside of VR, again, either. It's boring in comparison!

 

i'm a HUGE nintendo fan since...forever basically...and i didn't know about DolphinVR...i will for sure try it out tonight...thanks so much for posting this man :)


| CPU: Core i7-4770K @ 4.2ghz  Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080 OC  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1866 mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift + Touch

 

Read: My opinions on VR in it's current state, should YOU buy into it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just gonna put this out there.

 

VR Waifus because 2D girls > 3D girls.


Just your everyday PC and Nintendo gaming nerd and collector

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 (White) | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×