Going from 3440x1440 back to 1080p?

Dedshark

So I currently have the ASUS 3440x1440p IPS ultrawide 100hz. It looks amazing, games look great and play pretty good on this monitor. The problem is I play a lot of competitive games (Fortnite BR,Pubg,Overwatch,Star wars battlefront 2) lots of FPS games and I definitely notice in game when I dip below 100 fps. Most times I am above it and the 100hz refresh rate seems good enough but i'm nervous about the future because games will become more and more demanding and my FPS will keep dropping. I have looked at the 240hz 1080p from ASUS but i'm afraid it'll be so small to me and look terrible at 1080p since i'm used to this beautiful IPS 32" display. Is the extra refresh rate worth it?

Not really if you don't play extremely competitively 

My life

Rather than giving up a monitor you really enjoy, why not upgrade the PC to drive it better?  What are you current specs?

Alternatively you could just run games at lower res and/or settings to get a few more frames out of it, that way you can still enjoy the monitor for other things.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rather than giving up a monitor you really enjoy, why not upgrade the PC to drive it better?  What are you current specs?

• CPU = Intel i7 4770 k
  • Ram = DDR3 16 Gig of ram
  • Mobo = Sabertooth Z87
  • CD/RW
  • HDD/SDD = Kingston 256gb SSD
  • Secondary HDD = 2 TB HDD
  • GPU = 980 SC Edition in SLI
  • GPU#2 = 980 SC Edition in SLI
  • Soundcard = Sound Blaster Z PCIe
  • Case = Coolermaster HAF X

I'd personally never do so only for the refresh rate, then again I'm not one to play much competitive play, I do play cs:go but even 80hz which is my current display is fine personally.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:
  • CPU = Intel i7 4770 k
  • Mobo = Sabertooth Z87
  • CD/RW

Hm, 980s in SLI is pretty good for sure, but it could always be more.  If you do start to notice having issues running games, perhaps a new pair of volta "2080s" or something would go well... if those ever decide to exist.

In the mean time I would try just dropping resolution, that will probably make the most noticeable difference.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Alternatively you could just run games at lower res and/or settings to get a few more frames out of it, that way you can still enjoy the monitor for other things.

i7 5930k, gtx 1080ti with 32 gb of ram so currently most games run pretty good for me. I just can't stand when I dip below 100 fps as it feels really choppy.

5 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:
  • CPU = Intel i7 4770 k
  • Mobo = Sabertooth Z87
  • CD/RW

Sorry that was my old specs you posted.

6 minutes ago, Dedshark said:

Sorry that was my old specs you posted.

ah alright I was wondering what happened after I realized it wasn't you that posted them xD

7 minutes ago, Dedshark said:

i7 5930k, gtx 1080ti with 32 gb of ram so currently most games run pretty good for me. I just can't stand when I dip below 100 fps as it feels really choppy.

Well, short of adding another 1080 Ti I'm not sure what else you could reasonably do to that... it's pretty top of the line.  As I said, try just dropping settings a bit, or resolution.  3440 x 1440 is a large number of pixels and to push that at 100 fps consistently is no small feat.  For perspective, 3440 x 1440 @ 100 Hz is roughly the same "pixel rate" as 4K @ 60 Hz (yes I know performance doesn't change linearly with resolution but it's a rough number).

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

ah alright I was wondering what happened after I realized it wasn't you that posted them xD

Well, short of adding another 1080 Ti I'm not sure what else you could reasonably do to that... it's pretty top of the line.  As I said, try just dropping settings a bit, or resolution.  3440 x 1440 is a large number of pixels and to push that at 100 fps consistently is no small feat.  For perspective, 3440 x 1440 @ 100 Hz is roughly the same "pixel rate" as 4K @ 60 Hz (yes I know performance doesn't change linearly with resolution but it's a rough number).

Yeah and that's not in my budget lol at least not right now. I used to run SLI and it always seemed like a pain to find an SLI profile but maybe things are getting better on that front? Is their more of a gain with SLI at 3440x1440? When I ran SLI before the gains weren't too big on 1440p.

Also sorry if this question is dumb but do I need an absolute identical 1080ti like same manufacturer and everything or does it just need to be a 1080ti?

Just now, Dedshark said:

Yeah and that's not in my budget lol at least not right now. I used to run SLI and it always seemed like a pain to find an SLI profile but maybe things are getting better on that front? Is their more of a gain with SLI at 3440x1440? When I ran SLI before the gains weren't too big on 1440p.

I'm not really up on what the typical gains are anymore.  In truth, I think SLI and crossfire get a little less popular every year.

Just now, Dedshark said:

Also sorry if this question is dumb but do I need an absolute identical 1080ti like same manufacturer and everything or does it just need to be a 1080ti?

Any 1080 Ti should work but I believe they will clock themselves to be the same ( or may you have to manually idk) so keep that in mind.

Would overclocking my i75930k get more fps? I've tried to overclock it a few times and it always seems to lock up the computer though.

Just now, VenomZ_ said:

yes, what cooler are you using?

240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

36 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:
  • CPU = Intel i7 4770 k
  • Mobo = Sabertooth Z87
  • CD/RW

Not sure if some of those games even officially support sli could be your problem right there.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Not sure if some of those games even officially support sli could be your problem right there.

Those aren't my specs anymore, the other guy posted my old specs I think. 

10 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

those were his old specs his new specs are 

10 hours ago, Dedshark said:

Those aren't my specs anymore, the other guy posted my old specs I think. 

Ah I have a X34 right now with a 1080ti ftw3. Not having any issues with fps or settings right now tbh. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

What do you play at? If ultra, try dropping to high.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 hours ago, Dedshark said:

So I currently have the ASUS 3440x1440p IPS ultrawide 100hz. It looks amazing, games look great and play pretty good on this monitor. The problem is I play a lot of competitive games (Fortnite BR,Pubg,Overwatch,Star wars battlefront 2) lots of FPS games and I definitely notice in game when I dip below 100 fps. Most times I am above it and the 100hz refresh rate seems good enough but i'm nervous about the future because games will become more and more demanding and my FPS will keep dropping. I have looked at the 240hz 1080p from ASUS but i'm afraid it'll be so small to me and look terrible at 1080p since i'm used to this beautiful IPS 32" display. Is the extra refresh rate worth it?

Whats your budget to make your situation better?

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

16 hours ago, Dedshark said:

Would overclocking my i75930k get more fps? I've tried to overclock it a few times and it always seems to lock up the computer though.

no, once you are GPU limited which is very likely in your case more clock on the CPU won't really matter much.

If you can OC your GPU you could gain more FPS but beside this your best bet is to play optimized games or lower the details.

I tried a buddies 240hz monitor at 1080p and it's buttery smooth but good lord it looks like ass compared to mine so i'm either gonna stick with my ultra wide or look into the 1440p 165hz ips panel. I'm wondering how much FPS I would gain going from 3440x1440 to 1440p.

1 hour ago, Dedshark said:

I tried a buddies 240hz monitor at 1080p and it's buttery smooth but good lord it looks like ass compared to mine so i'm either gonna stick with my ultra wide or look into the 1440p 165hz ips panel. I'm wondering how much FPS I would gain going from 3440x1440 to 1440p.

xD I'm not surprised.  Yeah, for the moment at least, you pay heavily in image quality for 240 Hz performance :P

Weird thing was in games like Pubg and Fortnite BR I actually had less fps in parts of the game at 1080p same settings which I didn't quite understand. Anyone have a clue if I would gain much fps if I went from 3440x1440 100hz to a 1440p ips 165hz? I think 1440p and IPS wouldn't look too terrible compared to my ultrawide and if I gained a good chunk of fps I would go for it.