What's better than a Noctua NF-A14 PWM?

Gerr

I have a pair of these in the front of my H440, but they still struggle to bring in enough fresh air even at max RPM due to the restrictive front intake airflow of this case.   I know a new case with a mesh front would be best, but are there any fans out there that would be better as intake fans in my H440 without sounding like a turbine engine?  The sound of my current fans is acceptable, but don't want to get much louder.  Suggestions?

The way the H440 is setup, you don't see the intake fans from the side window unless you are looking at it from an extreme angle, so color is not an issue.

3 nf-12's. Or anything decent in an 120mm format. Ill trade you three.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Not really. Noctua is pretty much the top of the line when it comes to static pressure and air flow. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Depending on speeds of each, sure. Always prefer 3 to 2 in my air540s. Noticed quite a difference but that was with crap corsair. May try their new stuff but I doubt it got any better. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

20 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Noticed quite a difference but that was with crap corsair. May try their new stuff but I doubt it got any better. 

The ML series have very comparable performance (in terms of airflow and static pressure), but comes with a hefty price tag ($30-35 each for the LED ones) and can get loud as hell if you go above 50-60% RPM.

They do come in LED variants though xD.

Right now, airflow is more important than noise, but don't want too much more noise.

Everything is cheap so just try both options. Shitty 120's or good ones. Or some sort of supposedly better 140 if you can find one.

THe only thing that comes to mind are the old Scythe (Nidec) Gentle Typhoons and be quiets Silent Wings.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

There are better fans, but not necessarily more silent... and not really at 25 mm thickness. You have some good choices if you go with 38mm thick fans.

The specs are these for NF-A14:

Airflow 140,2 m³/h  (82.5 CFM)

Airflow with L.N.A. 115,5 m³/h   (67.5 CFM)

Acoustical Noise 24,6 dB(A)

Acoustical Noise with L.N.A. 19,2 dB(A)

Static Pressure 2,08 mm H₂O  (0.081")

Static Pressure with L.N.A. 1,51 mm H₂O  (0.059")

60$ buys Sanyo Denki SanAce 140 (109P1412M101)  - ball bearing, 1900 rpm,  117.0 CFM (3.31m³/min or 198.6m³/h)  and 0.209" (5.3 mm H₂O)  but at 38 dB(A) - of course, you can use fan controller to adjust rpm by lowering voltage and make it more silent (and then of course, specs also lower and would be more in line with the noctua fan).

Or you can go nuts and spend 46$ on a Delta Electronics PFM1412DEB7 -   ball bearing, with PWM control,  254-282 CFM (7.2..8 m³/min or 480m³/h) at max rpm , and 42..51.5 mm H₂O - that's at maximum rpm which is  6500 rpm and up to 70dB(A)

But since you have PWM, at same 1000-1900 rpm it will still have a lot of static pressure and push a lot of air.

Both would be better by the sheer fact that they're 38 mm thick but they'd also be slightly noisier because of the bearing.

44 minutes ago, Gerr said:

I have a pair of these in the front of my H440, but they still struggle to bring in enough fresh air even at max RPM due to the restrictive front intake airflow of this case.   I know a new case with a mesh front would be best, but are there any fans out there that would be better as intake fans in my H440 without sounding like a turbine engine?  The sound of my current fans is acceptable, but don't want to get much louder.  Suggestions?

If you don't mind a slightly thicker fans the noiseblocker e-loops are very good options next to Noctua fans, as for other quite options the Fractal Design Venturi's are ones I usually recommend.

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-eloop-series/140x140x29mm.php

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If you don't mind a slightly thicker fans the noiseblocker e-loops are very good options next to Noctua fans, as for other quite options the Fractal Design Venturi's are ones I usually recommend.

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-eloop-series/140x140x29mm.php

AFAIR, according to other People,those eLoops are only good/silent if they can blow onto something or something like that. But they suck at sucking.

There was something like that said in some (German) Forums.

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

AFAIR, according to other People,those eLoops are only good/silent if they can blow onto something or something like that. But they suck at sucking.

There was something like that said in some (German) Forums.

They are pressure optimized fans but I never heard that before, where they are better in a push config than pull. 

You could always go with a high RPM delta fan. But they are a bit on the noisy side.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 hours ago, W-L said:

They are pressure optimized fans but I never heard that before, where they are better in a push config than pull. 

They aren't bad, just noisy.

And according to those people, worse than normal fan in such configuration for example as a front fan in a case...

As upper fans blowing out of the case, they are fine however....

11 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

You could always go with a high RPM delta fan. But they are a bit on the noisy side.....

Airflow causes noise.

Thus higher airflow cause more noise...

Edited by Stefan Payne
missed half a sentence

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

They aren't bad, just noisy.

And according to those people, worse than normal fan in such configuration for example as a front fan in a case...

As upper fans blowing out of the case....

Airflow causes noise.

Some of Delta's fans spin at very high RPM (3000RPM+), and there is only so much you can do to keep a very high RPM motor uiet.

PMSL

17 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Some of Delta's fans spin at very high RPM (3000RPM+), and there is only so much you can do to keep a very high RPM motor quiet.

The one i linked to goes up to 6500 rpm. But that's why it has pwm wire, to only go that fast when it's needed. At 20% (minimum pwm speed), fan would most likely spin at less than 1000rpm . It will be slightly noisier at any rpm compared to the noctua due to bearing type and wing profile (and because it's built stronger to be capable of 6500 rpm if needed), but most likely will also have higher static pressure than the noctua at any rpm 

On 10/13/2017 at 3:39 PM, Gerr said:

Will 3x120mm outperform 2x140mm?

Yes, that's usually the case. NF-F12's would be better. Gentle Typhoons would also be good if you can get a hold of them. 

On 10/13/2017 at 8:27 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Airflow causes noise.

Most of the noise is from motors and bearings as opposed to airflow.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What's the exact reasoning behind this again? What makes the think the fans are many up to par?

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Most of the noise is from motors and bearings as opposed to airflow.

Depends on the Motor/Bearing.

There are some very quiet Motors and Bearings out there.

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Depends on the Motor/Bearing.

There are some very quiet Motors and Bearings out there.

But not at high RPM, unless the manufacturer decides to do the good thing and use more than 4 poles inside the fan motor.

PMSL