Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zando Bob

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

5 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Goody. I'll stay away from the X series xeons and just nab one of the 3690s. Ballin with dat extreme edition on a budget.

If you're scared about a X series not working, try a E5649. They're a multiplier locked westmere with 2 QPI's for $8.99 shipped on ebay, functionally the same as any X series. UD3R's are pretty common boards and I'm sure there's hundreds of westmeres running on them just fine. You'll probably have better luck trying to bin yourself a good overclocker out of X5675's for the same price as the later production cpus tend to do better.

I get 4.6ghz@1.4v 200x23 out of my X5675 on my X58A-UD5 which if I recall correctly has the same power phases since I have the Rev.1 board. The Gigabyte labels are just glued to the tops of the heatsinks, if you want a little better VRM cooling they should come off with some effort too.

5 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

If you're scared about a X series not working, try a E5649. They're rather multiplier unlocked but they're a multiplier locked westmere with 2 QPI's for $8.99 shipped on ebay. UD3R's are pretty common boards and I'm sure there's hundreds of westmeres running on them just fine. You'll probably have better luck trying to bin yourself a good overclocker out of X5675's for the same price as the later production cpus tend to do better.

I get 4.6ghz@1.4v 200x23 out of my X5675 on my X58A-UD5 which if I recall correctly has the same power phases since I have the Rev.1 board. The Gigabyte labels are just glued to the tops of the heatsinks, if you want a little better VRM cooling they should come off with some effort too.

Whoops. Just paid $70 for a W3690. I'm not trying to go for competitive overclocking so much as have a decently quick x58 system. 

We'll see what happens. Supposed to be here by next week so I'll have some fun tomorrow slapping the system together and then next week I'll upgrade the cpu. I don't know if I'll have any time tonight but if I do I'll see if I can even find any of the settings in the BIOS that are related to the NCIX X58 OC video. 

Oh and repasting the north/southbridge heatsinks. That shit is gonna be crusty. However, the heatsinks on this MSI mobo are very nice and large with lots of fins. That's something I really dont like about modern motherboards, yeah the big heatsinks are good and all, but they're just lumps of metal. No surface area. I'd be tempted to pull them off and take a band saw to them and make a bunch of little thin cuts almost all the way through a lot of them.

|::::xxxxxx| 
|xxxxxxxxxx|
5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Oh and repasting the north/southbridge heatsinks. That shit is gonna be crusty. However, the heatsinks on this MSI mobo are very nice and large with lots of fins. That's something I really dont like about modern motherboards, yeah the big heatsinks are good and all, but they're just lumps of metal. No surface area. I'd be tempted to pull them off and take a band saw to them and make a bunch of little thin cuts almost all the way through a lot of them.

It's really sad that companies can't make functional northbridge and VRM heatsinks anymore.

If the VRM design overall isn't garbage, the heatsink design tends to be. Makes finding and choosing a good board a lot tougher than most of us would like.

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Whoops. Just paid $70 for a W3690. I'm not trying to go for competitive overclocking so much as have a decently quick x58 system. 

We'll see what happens. Supposed to be here by next week so I'll have some fun tomorrow slapping the system together and then next week I'll upgrade the cpu. I don't know if I'll have any time tonight but if I do I'll see if I can even find any of the settings in the BIOS that are related to the NCIX X58 OC video. 

Facts, most X58 mobos have good heatsinks. My XL-ATX and EATX EVGA boards actually have freaking beefy Northbridge heatsinks with fans (my EATX's fan is missing tho), and they're got proper finned VRM heatsinks too. The MSI Big Bang board I had had fins as well, but I didn't them as much as the more traditional heat pipe + fins on the ASUS Rampage III Formula. 

As far as OC videos go, Tech Yes City has one I'll bet is a lot more recent: 

If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

X99 rig:

Spoiler

CPU: 5820K at 4.5-4.6Ghz, working on getting my OC 100% stable
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
Motherboard: EVGA Classified X99
Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator 3200MHz DDR4
Storage: 120GB HyperX Savage SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDDs
GPU: Radeon VII
Case: Corsair Air 540, Black
PSU: EVGA 1000W G3

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

CPU: X5670 at 4.56GHz/1.5v for now, planning to push higher on that voltage

CPU Cooler: Heatkiller IV CPU block and custom loop with 360mm slim rad
Motherboard: EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI X58 motherboard
Memory: 24GB HyperX Savage DDR3 (Red). Running ~1600MHz 10-10-10-28 for now, it'll to 9-9-9-24 but I'm planning to push to 2000MHz, thus the looser timings. 

Storage: ADATA SU800 128GB SSD, HyperX Savage 120GB SSD
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti 11G 
Case: Mountain Mods mobo tray, PSU mount off etsy, some rad mounting hardware and a board of plywood and such from Lowes. 
PSU: Corsair RM1000i

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G
Random Celeron, 8700K died so I gotta get my hands on an i5 8400

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

250GB 960 Evo, 2TB Seagate Firecuda, 1TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's really sad that companies can't make functional northbridge and VRM heatsinks anymore.

If the VRM design overall isn't garbage, the heatsink design tends to be. Makes finding and choosing a good board a lot tougher than most of us would like.

I'd even say that VRMs have gotten better in recent years... if slightly less robust. Its something I love about the recent Threadripper boards and my X79 board. CPUs too power hungry to skimp on.

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Facts, most X58 mobos have good heatsinks. My XL-ATX and EATX EVGA boards actually have freaking beefy Northbridge heatsinks with fans (my EATX's fan is missing tho), and they're got proper finned VRM heatsinks too. The MSI Big Bang board I had had fins as well, but I didn't them as much as the more traditional heat pipe + fins on the ASUS Rampage III Formula. 

As far as OC videos go, Tech Yes City has one I'll bet is a lot more recent: 

Added that to watch later. Saw the first few seconds of the video, holy crap I love his office. I'm going to try and figure out a way to put a fan on the northbridge and vrm of this motherboard. 

I really wish I hadn't broken my 3D printer- I'd totally print out some ducting and brackets for fan mounts on all the things...

|xxxxxxxxxx|

Large oof. Apparently the W3670 is Westmere-EP whereas the i7 970 is Gulftown, both are 32nm, same clocks, everything. But my V1.0 Classified boards won't work with it unless I short two sets of two tiny pins, but I can't figure out how the hell to get them soldered. Guess I head to Lowe's to get a smaller soldering iron? Or probs Hobby Lobby if they're open, they'd have teenier ones.

If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

X99 rig:

Spoiler

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

Memory: 24GB HyperX Savage DDR3 (Red). Running ~1600MHz 10-10-10-28 for now, it'll to 9-9-9-24 but I'm planning to push to 2000MHz, thus the looser timings. 

Case: Mountain Mods mobo tray, PSU mount off etsy, some rad mounting hardware and a board of plywood and such from Lowes. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

3 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Large oof. Apparently the W3670 is Westmere-EP whereas the i7 970 is Gulftown, both are 32nm, same clocks, everything. But my V1.0 Classified boards won't work with it unless I short two sets of two tiny pins, but I can't figure out how the hell to get them soldered. Guess I head to Lowe's to get a smaller soldering iron? Or probs Hobby Lobby if they're open, they'd have teenier ones.

Unreasonably large oof. I need to do some googling now... 

|xxxxxxxxxx|

@Zando Bob the W3690 is a gulftown processor according to Intel Ark. 

but the W3670 is Westmere. Even though its also in the same W36xx sku. This being my first time in the X58 world, Intel seems like they were all over the place. 

45 and 32nm i7s, two flavors of Xeon, and like 3 or 4 different archetectures. 

|xxxxxxxxxx|
57 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@Zando Bob the W3690 is a gulftown processor according to Intel Ark. 

but the W3670 is Westmere. Even though its also in the same W36xx sku. This being my first time in the X58 world, Intel seems like they were all over the place. 

45 and 32nm i7s, two flavors of Xeon, and like 3 or 4 different archetectures. 

Yep, it's really weird. Assumed the W3670 would be the same as the i7 970 due to having the same clocks and both being 32nm, but no. Then weirdly the W3690 is the same as the i7s? Rather confusing, lol. Intel has never really had a clean lineup though.

X99 rig:

Spoiler

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

8 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Yep, it's really weird. Assumed the W3670 would be the same as the i7 970 due to having the same clocks and both being 32nm, but no. Then weirdly the W3690 is the same as the i7s? Rather confusing, lol. Intel has never really had a clean lineup though.

Mhmm. I got the latest BIOS on the board last night and am playing with overclocking the i7 950 right now.at stock speeds even with this little 92nm cooler (havent repasted anything yet) the temps on the open air bench at 25% fan speed are like 76*C. Time to send it.

|xxxxxxxxxx|

Should be able to push to 3.9Ghz or so at 1.4v, that’s what my i7 950 did. 

X99 rig:

Spoiler

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Should be able to push to 3.9Ghz or so at 1.4v, that’s what my i7 950 did. 

I'm at 3.923 Ghz at 1.296 right now. It looks like its only running at 23 multiplier, and cpuz says its 12-25 multiplier but I cant find the multiplier setting in the bios ;-; just did 599 cb

EDIT: just realised that with with the voltage hike and the same fan speed its running at 100*C with the OG paste 

LOL

And BSOD when I clicked restart

|xxxxxxxxxx|

@Zando Bob so the PCIe freq is at 100 which is as low as it can go.

edit:

Got in two cinebench runs at 4.084 Ghz with the ram ratio turned down from 4 to 3 and the voltage turned up to ~1.44 before it locked up and crashed. Its nice to be doing this to something not on my main pc. 

3C8FFAD3-0DDA-4191-BA79-77489A943B4D.jpeg

|xxxxxxxxxx|

So sad I killed my x58 board last Feb when my AIO emptied all over it.

I just couldn’t get it back and had no parts to see what was broken.

My fault really for not changing out the AIO as aircoolers got better and cheaper. One AIO for 9 years is NOT a good idea.

I got that i7 920 and MoBo in Jan 2009 and it ran at 3.8 for 9 years!

Still makes me sad it ended that way.

13 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

So sad I killed my x58 board last Feb when my AIO emptied all over it.

I just couldn’t get it back and had no parts to see what was broken.

My fault really for not changing out the AIO as aircoolers got better and cheaper. One AIO for 9 years is NOT a good idea.

I got that i7 920 and MoBo in Jan 2009 and it ran at 3.8 for 9 years!

Still makes me sad it ended that way.

Thank you for reminding me that I also have an AIO that is way too old to be a good idea. Super convinent because the 92mm hats on there is ever so slightly too small for this i7 950 overclocked. I’m having a hell of a time getting it stable at 4.08 Ghz at 1.45v

2CCD119B-4B0F-4451-A153-C11F598176B8.jpeg

|xxxxxxxxxx|
1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

So base clock OC’s the PCIe frequency too right?

BCLK changes everything.

Oooooo 528 in cinebench at 3.9GHz/1.4v w/vdroop, vs 388 at stock on my i7 950. Nice improvement there.

X99 rig:

Spoiler

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

BCLK changes everything.

...How about knowing what you are saying before talking? BCLK on this platform doesn't touch PCIe. As for that matter, touching PCIe is relevant after ~221 BCLK, but thats irrelevant for 99% of people overclocking this platform. Only things it changes are RAM, CPU, Uncore and QPI. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

Got the aio bracket and hardware modified and mounted! Its an aluminum coldplate and radiator, but temps should be way lower than the 92mm tower!

26A99823-071E-453E-BBDC-5334F1E26470.jpeg

|xxxxxxxxxx|

Update: Temps are not way better but they are slightly better. 

I found a tripole channel ram kit I had laying around in my ram box and got that installed. Went from 6gb of 1066 DDR3 to a corsair kit of 6GB 1600 DDR3. And after a morning of bluescreening I have reset to defaults and been slowly working my way through an afternoon of realitive stability. I just did a cinebench run at 3.83 Ghz at somewhere between 1.36 and 1.48 volts. It stabilizes at 1.36 so this mobo must have some form of LLC. I can’t find that setting, just like i can’t find the multiplier setting but whatever. This ram and aio have made a huge difference in stability. This Is actually some damn nice ram. Its 1600 @ 8-8-8-24 but I’m running it at 9-9-9-24 because I’m going to try and go for 3.9 or 4.0 Ghz so I don’t want to turn the timings down yet if at all. 

D0A23A86-A00C-46D5-8265-B5876553B35B.jpeg

Edit: that deleted cinebench pic was from a 3.56 ghz run with the old ram. My b

|xxxxxxxxxx|

i found a listing for an EVGA SR2... it's too much money for me but some of you might be interested. 

it's in the netherlands though... 

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/moederborden/m1371382593-moederboard-evga-classified-sr-2-met-64gb-sdram-en-2x-xeon.html?c=be2da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

Have a look at my set up your linux gaming pc from start to finish topic if you want to get started with linux :) 

My laptop: MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 (dGPU disabled): I7 2675QM | HD3000 | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS

I just upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 24GB. Previously I had 2x 4GB Kingston 1333MHz ECC and 4x 2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz non-ECC sticks. I upgraded the 4x2GB Dominators to these:
4x4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz

Spoiler

4x4gb.thumb.jpg.c43402a26bfff2c8afed7b9f80319cd0.jpgIMG_20190216_190753.thumb.jpg.568a4d7d1d28f1937484c99d6b9f195c.jpgSpeccy64_2019-02-17_02-16-02.png.355477528a4a6f00050ba9624c1a1d3e.png

IMG_20190217_020427.thumb.jpg.46f32eec8f90543cc4b414deebbf3c34.jpg

Intel Xeon X5670 @ 4.44GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 250gb Samsung SSD, 4tb and 2x 2tb HDD, Fractal Design Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon X5677 @ 3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12gb DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240gb SSD, 1tb HDD

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

PC 3: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8gb DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120gb SSD, 2tb, 1tb and 500gb HDD

PC 4: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8gb DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 32gb SSD and 500gb HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8gb DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 4tb HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2gb DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32gb SSD and 80gb HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x AMD Opteron 2218, HP XW9400, 12gb DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP