Gpu overclocking on a laptop

Schony125

Hi guys, 

I wanted to increase the memory speed of the gtx1070 on my laptop,  if it crashes its going to be like a gpu core crash?

I have always oc'd only the core clock and I have heard strange stories about memory overclock. 

VRAM OC rarely causes crashing, you are more likely to encounter artefacts (graphical defects) or flickering

I'm not sure i would recommend overclocking your laptop's GPU. A laptops not going to have a super robust cooling system like a desktop might, so it's going to struggle to keep that card cool once you really start pushing it.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

13 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

What do you need to oc a 1070 for???

MOAR POWWA!!

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

18 minutes ago, kagarium said:

I'm not sure i would recommend overclocking your laptop's GPU. A laptops not going to have a super robust cooling system like a desktop might, so it's going to struggle to keep that card cool once you really start pushing it.

Not only that, the power brick may be just enough to run the laptop at full power.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

less battery life! :D

GPUs can't run at their full power anyway on battery because batteries can't safely deliver that amount of current over an extended period of time.

Tell Scotty to reroute all power to the phasers VRAM.

Then use the software you're using for GPU core OC and play with the memory slider.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 hours ago, HZapperz said:

What do you need to oc a 1070 for???

10 fps with only a 100 MHz on core

20 hours ago, Schony125 said:

Hi guys, 

I wanted to increase the memory speed of the gtx1070 on my laptop,  if it crashes its going to be like a gpu core crash?

I have always oc'd only the core clock and I have heard strange stories about memory overclock. 

overdoing memory overclock will introduce artifacting and unusual colors. i've done it once before all in without going steady, never doing that again. go slowly up.

worst case scenario just reset/force power off, and the settings will revert back to normal

both cases will crash eventually, core clock is just a frozen frame... while memory nets u random artifacts if overdone beyond limit

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

On 3/10/2017 at 7:55 PM, xsimplyjosh said:

overdoing memory overclock will introduce artifacting and unusual colors. i've done it once before all in without going steady, never doing that again. go slowly up.

worst case scenario just reset/force power off, and the settings will revert back to normal

both cases will crash eventually, core clock is just a frozen frame... while memory nets u random artifacts if overdone beyond limit

Thank you for the answer. Finally some one that answers to the question

33 minutes ago, Schony125 said:

Thank you for the answer. Finally some one that answers to the question

No worries haha i guess it helps if someone has actually done the overclocking at least then the input is relevant to some extent

i kinda hated the crashes tho haha ?

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

On 10/2/2017 at 11:35 PM, kagarium said:

I've OC a bunch of laptop GPUs, no issues whatsoever. Since it has a 1070, I'm pretty sure his laptop has a decent enough cooling which should be fine. In my experience that is. Also laptop 1070 are usually clocled lower than the desktop ones so OC it would usually mean getting it first to clocks of FE and then going for real performance. It is probably downclocked from the factory. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I've OC a bunch of laptop GPUs, no issues whatsoever. Since it has a 1070, I'm pretty sure his laptop has a decent enough cooling which should be fine. In my experience that is. Also laptop 1070 are usually clocled lower than the desktop ones so OC it would usually mean getting it first to clocks of FE and then going for real performance. It is probably downclocked from the factory. 

Yes I was able to hit 2000 mhz on the core with the stock voltage as the card is voltage and power locked.

The cooling solution on my laptop is not great as the card thermal throttles when its pinned at 100% load to ~1500/1400 mhz but is able to keep 60 fps on  a 3200x1800 at usually max settings.

1 hour ago, Schony125 said:

Yes I was able to hit 2000 mhz on the core with the stock voltage as the card is voltage and power locked.

The cooling solution on my laptop is not great as the card thermal throttles when its pinned at 100% load to ~1500/1400 mhz but is able to keep 60 fps on  a 3200x1800 at usually max settings.

What laptop are we talking about?

its a "custom laptop" its fitted with a 1070, 6700 non k, 32 gb of ram and dual ssd

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

What laptop are we talking about?

forgot to quote

2 hours ago, Schony125 said:

its a "custom laptop" its fitted with a 1070, 6700 non k, 32 gb of ram and dual ssd

But which one? :P

Also if it's throttling, there is no point in OC since it will only throttle sooner. I'd open it and swap the paste as a first step and then see whats what. 

15 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

But which one? :P

Also if it's throttling, there is no point in OC since it will only throttle sooner. I'd open it and swap the paste as a first step and then see whats what. 

IC diamond swapped

It's a xmachines xm952

even if it thermal throttles it keeps the clock higher (don't ask me how) I benchmark ed it both on sintetic and games