Arduino bitcoin miner?

scooterandy11
Go to solution Solved by joric,

Is it possible to create an Arduino bitcoin miner? I know the massive system requirements to get anything out of mining bitcoins (My friend has an AMD 2 GPU system and still makes like nothing) but I wanted a little project to do and was wondering if it was possible and how much it would net me if I made it and left it running for lets say 6 months. Any info would be great thank you.

You would make heat and that is it.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, frozeNNN said:

I would say it's not worth a try

I am bored and need a project to keep me entertained even if it doesn't work well I will still get experience.

4 minutes ago, scooterandy11 said:

I am bored and need a project to keep me entertained even if it doesn't work well I will still get experience.

There are many other projects to be made and are useful.

1 minute ago, scooterandy11 said:

If you have an spare pc, power it up with solar pannels or a generator, also you can make gas from wood if you know anything about motors you can get one (or build one) that can be powered with gas, and that's it, you have free money.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

There are many other projects to be made and are useful.

I have 6 arduinos and have 1 next to me and have a lot of time to kill. I use the others for useful stuff like monitoring light levels (the one in a plastic box on my roof xD) One to collect data from the rest which is then given over to my server which then makes a database full of it. One is a doorbell and another is an alarm system. I jsut have no other things I need one for and was wondering if it was possible.

5 hours ago, scooterandy11 said:

I have 6 arduinos and have 1 next to me and have a lot of time to kill. I use the others for useful stuff like monitoring light levels (the one in a plastic box on my roof xD) One to collect data from the rest which is then given over to my server which then makes a database full of it. One is a doorbell and another is an alarm system. I jsut have no other things I need one for and was wondering if it was possible.

how about learn about actual PCB design, do something more than running sketches you copy/paste off the internet to make LEDs blink

free diptrace download, make a 2-layer board, order the parts, solder, flash firmware. That should keep you busy for a day or two.

I may be wrong but I don't think an arduino has what it takes to drive even a low end GPU for mining, now the Intel version or maybe a raspberry pi you could build a weather station that would take up some of your time

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

It has an arm processor so does the raspberriy pie so I'd say you can get Linux on it and some computTions going. 

It wouldn't be possible because the arduino doesn't have enough memory (ram) and room for code (flash memory in the microcontroller) and probably doesn't have hardware functions required to perform various mathematical operations required to "discover" coins. If the hardware functions don't exist, they have to be implemented with other more basic instructions, making each calculation several times slower.

It may be possible to do something with a PIC32MZ microcontroller which has some amount of ram embedded it in and has all the functions and stuff required to run a very simplified operating system on it, like a linux that runs in 4-8 MB of code. I think it has a sdram or ddram controller in it, and you can attach up to 32 MB of memory or something like that, in addition to the amount of memory already inside it.

That would be the most complex you'd probably still consider a microcontroller.

There are micros based on ARM Cortex (various m0, m4 etc) which can probably also run bitcoin software, but they'd be excruciatingly slow.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bitcoin doesn't seem like a very profitable option. Check out Duino-Coin. It's in very early development stage, but pretty usable! Link to GitHub