32 inch vs 27 4k

zindan

Is a bigger monitor such as 32 inch compared to 27 inch better suited for 4k gaming and watching movies or is it just a personal preference? I would love to buy a 27 inch since I find the 30 inch a bit to big... But if the visual quality and feeling if you may feels better then I am unsure..

Thank you.

Depends on how far you sit away from your monitor, 27" is about 70cm wide and 32" is about 90 or so cm wide.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Depends on how far you sit away from your monitor, 27" is about 70cm wide and 32" is about 90 or so cm wide.

50 cm. Further is better ?? 

In my opinion 27 inches are fine for 1440p, since you're getting higer pixel account might as well make use of it and enjoy a bigger screen carrying acceptable pixel density.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, zindan said:

50 cm

IMO at that distance, 32" is just way too big.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

hahah yeah :D That's what I'm saying:P So 27 is just just nice and dandy then ? 

4 minutes ago, zindan said:

I find the 30 inch a bit to big

There's never too big when pixel density is good, only when it starts pixelating and such that it is an issue, trust me I had similar feeling when I decided to upgrade from a 22inch 1680x1050p monitor to the 29'' 2560x1080p one, might be all to big who knows but I got used to it so fast I don't think it should be something to be concerned about.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, zindan said:

hahah yeah :D That's what I'm saying:P So 27 is just just nice and dandy then ? 

I sit just about a 80cm from my desk and I am personally going with 27", because I feel like anything above that is just overkill in terms of size.

IMO 32" is the minimum for 4k even at a 50cm distance from the screen if you want to actually take advantage of the extra pixels and not use scaling.

11 minutes ago, Minibois said:

yes, I use my 32inch at about 80CM

15 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

21 minutes ago, WereCat said:

IMO 32" is the minimum for 4k even at a 50cm distance from the screen if you want to actually take advantage of the extra pixels and not use scaling.

What does that mean? if I use scaling? what am I doing? :P

2 hours ago, zindan said:

What does that mean? if I use scaling? what am I doing? :P

With very high PPI you need to use scaling (make things appear larger because they will be too small on the screen) which defeats the purpose of taking advantage of the bigger screen real estate.

48 minutes ago, WereCat said:

With very high PPI you need to use scaling (make things appear larger because they will be too small on the screen) which defeats the purpose of taking advantage of the bigger screen real estate.

3 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

I sit just about a 80cm from my desk and I am personally going with 27", because I feel like anything above that is just overkill in terms of size.

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

There's never too big when pixel density is good, only when it starts pixelating and such that it is an issue, trust me I had similar feeling when I decided to upgrade from a 22inch 1680x1050p monitor to the 29'' 2560x1080p one, might be all to big who knows but I got used to it so fast I don't think it should be something to be concerned about.

Hmm maybe a 1440p 27 inch then? Feels like 2k and 4k is a huge difference and that I am loosing so much if I choose 2k over 4k :/ maybe I can get used to a30 inch ?

55 minutes ago, WereCat said:

3 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

https://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-tillbehor/bildskarm/AC28XB281HKBM/acer-predator-xb281hk-28-datorskarm-gaming What about this 28 inch? Won't be so different from the 30 inch right? This is fine right?

Just now, zindan said:

https://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-tillbehor/bildskarm/AC28XB281HKBM/acer-predator-xb281hk-28-datorskarm-gaming What about this 28 inch? Won't be so different from the 30 inch right? This is fine right?

28" 4k = 158 DPI

30" 4k = 145 DPI

32" 4k = 138 DPI

120-130 DPI is about max if you don't want to use scaling. 32" 4k is barely usable without scaling if you don't want to strain your eyes by reading tiny text.

At anything lower than 32" you will need to use scaling to make text, icons, etc appear larger which defeats the purpose of higher resolution. Yes, it will still look a lot better and smoother than 1440p IF the scaling works, because some older applications will actually look terrible/blurry with scaling on Windows.

Just now, WereCat said:

28" 4k = 158 DPI

30" 4k = 145 DPI

32" 4k = 138 DPI

120-130 DPI is about max if you don't want to use scaling. 32" 4k is barely usable without scaling if you don't want to strain your eyes by reading tiny text.

At anything lower than 32" you will need to use scaling to make text, icons, etc appear larger which defeats the purpose of higher resolution. Yes, it will still look a lot better and smoother than 1440p IF the scaling works, because some older applications will actually look terrible/blurry with scaling on Windows.

Movies and gaming then? Those are fine right? 

Just now, zindan said:

Movies and gaming then? Those are fine right? 

Those are fine.

Movies, games, pictures will look better with higher DPI but for usability, you want to find the balance which IMO is at 32"-36".

Just now, WereCat said:

Those are fine.

Movies, games, pictures will look better with higher DPI but for usability, you want to find the balance which IMO is at 32"-36".

Hmm okay, going with 144hz 1440p instead then. Thanks. Umm when will I be able to buy a 4k monitor that is eprfectly optimized for all uses? When wil the technology get there?

Just now, zindan said:

Hmm okay, going with 144hz 1440p instead then. Thanks. Umm when will I be able to buy a 4k monitor that is eprfectly optimized for all uses? When wil the technology get there?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Just now, WereCat said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

What if  I buy a 32 inch 4k ?? It should be fine right??  2k feels like wasted money.. so close to 4k you nkow

Just now, zindan said:

What if  I buy a 32 inch 4k ?? It should be fine right??  2k feels like wasted money.. so close to 4k you nkow

1440p is not 2k

and it depends on what you want to do

For games, 1440p 144Hz is way better than 4k 60Hz but if you don't care about high refresh rate then just go straight to 4k.

Just now, WereCat said:

1440p is not 2k

and it depends on what you want to do

For games, 1440p 144Hz is way better than 4k 60Hz but if you don't care about high refresh rate then just go straight to 4k.

ahh ok 1440p it is then... fuck I really wanted 4k but fuck it I will have to wait until it gets better.

Just now, zindan said:

ahh ok 1440p it is then... fuck I really wanted 4k but fuck it I will have to wait until it gets better.

what are your PC specs though?

Just now, WereCat said:

what are your PC specs though?

: CPU
i7 7700k

Motherboard
Aorus by Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming K5

RAM
LPX 2x8GB DDR4 Black 3000MHz

GPU
ASUS GeForce GTX1080Ti STRIX OC

Case