I'm lost looking for budget PSU

maxicosi
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
6 hours ago, TheNamesDoge said:

I have never used a corsair psu

That's fine, you've probably used PSUs made by the OEMs that make Corsair PSUs.

The aforementioned CX series (or CXM series) would suit your system well.

3 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Hmm I thought it was but now I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I recall Jonnyguru saying it. Also this thing here http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13511 says "new ones should have a rifle bearing."

The CX has a rifle, the CXM has sleeve

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, ATFink said:

EVGA just badges the PSU, it's components are assembled by other companies. The B and B2s are decent (I don't about the BQ series though), the G series are excellent, but the ones that are called "430 watt" or something along those lines just skimp by with an ok mark in my opinion. I would not suggest getting one of those for long term use fi you plan on using your computer a fair amount.

Yeah, I completely agree on that. I know my old pc did use a bronze 750w or 700w power supply, but I use a 650w platinum p2 power supply from EVGA on my main rig. Different flavors for different things is what I say

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

17 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The CX has a rifle, the CXM has sleeve

You sure about that? Seems counter-intuitive to me. I know Vengeance is rifle and CXM is sleeve but are the new CX even out yet?

19 hours ago, ATFink said:

EVGA just badges the PSU, it's components are assembled by other companies. The B and B2s are decent (I don't about the BQ series though), the G series are excellent, but the ones that are called "430 watt" or something along those lines just skimp by with an ok mark in my opinion. I would not suggest getting one of those for long term use fi you plan on using your computer a fair amount.

The plain B and B1 units are pretty mediocre quality. B2 is much better. BQ is somewhat unknown at this point, but most likely about as bad as the B and B1 units.

The G and G1 series are again mediocre quality. G2 is much better, GQ is good too, G3 is even better.

27 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

You sure about that? Seems counter-intuitive to me. I know Vengeance is rifle and CXM is sleeve but are the new CX even out yet?

AFAIK the new CX non-M are only of the new Great Wall design, so the CX450 non-M that was linked before is definitely available. Over a dozen retailers in the Netherlands.

Wouldn't hurt to have a review of the new design before we go around recommending it.

2 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Yup.

Seems counter-intuitive to me too but one was released a year or more ago while the other was released in the last couple months. You can buy a CX450 non-M on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-CX450-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B01MTZ96RU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500141572&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+cx450

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 7/14/2017 at 3:20 AM, Hiitchy said:

I've always used an EVGA PSU, just go with them whether bronze or gold. They have pretty good quality.

You've never used a BT or BV series then.  I wouldn't recommend them.

The BV uses the same platform as the newer Corsair VS Series (HEC), but it's actually a cost down version of that, with a smaller main transformer and no heatsink on the primary switcher.  How they got it to pass Bronze, I have no idea.  My guess is a retail unit can barely do 80 PLUS White.

The BT uses a Super Flower platform, but all of the components are through hole on a single layer PCB and quite under-size for the task.  

BT and BV aren't even in the RealhardtechX review database, I'm so lost. EVGA has SKUitis as bad as Corsair now.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

BT and BV aren't even in the RealhardtechX review database, I'm so lost. EVGA has SKUitis as bad as Corsair now.

To be fair, RealHardTechX isn't updated as much as it used to be.  For example:  I was looking for beQuiet Pure Power L10 on there today... it's not listed.