Ripping 4k Blu Rays

So I went out and got myself a 4k TV. Granted the TV itself can stream Netflix, and i've got a Display port active adapter for my PC I've pretty much got the hole system worked out. My problem is however, that my internet, here in my dormitory, isn't always fantastic, making streaming 4k anything is rare. So naturally I want to get some 4k Content that doesn't have to be streamed. IE Ultra HD Blu Rays. My research shows that 4k blu ray players run like 200$ or more. And a xbox 1 S conflicts with my console gaming alignment. The Pioneer UHD Blu Ray Player only runs for 130$ on Newegg or Amazon. The problem is the amount of stuff you need to make the Blu Ray Player play 4k Blu Rays is ridiculous. special motherboard features, and a 7th Generation Processor. Somewhere on the internet I saw someone mention that they Rip all their 4k Blu Rays for safety using open source software like MakeMKV, My question is, if i bought the drive,  could i rip the disks and watch the 4K movies on my HTPC (i5 6500) Using VLC media player. Has anyone else done this, If not i think this would be a Fantastic Video, Given that 4k TVs are becoming very popular, but 4k content is still very hard to come by and this loophole would open up a lot of content to a lot of people. So if someone smarter then me could tag Linus or whatever crew member would be best to bring this to i would greatly appreciate it. 

The Drive

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W05RA7825&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Blu-Ray+Burners-_-9SIA2W05RA7825&gclid=CjwKEAjwtJzLBRC7z43vr63nr3wSJABjJDgJty1QwVQLxfhucTiDqk_oUhAgUH9LXCSrTcwNuI5v7RoCZMLw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My PC

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ydtThq

It's a crock, there's currently no publicly known way to rip a UHD BD yet.  SOMEONE knows, in the last couple of months a few true UHD BD Remux's, even with their full HDR data intact, have been turning up on torrent sites, but HOW these discs are getting ripped is not known and not publicly accessible.  MakeMKV has no means to decrypt a UHD BD, any statement otherwise is false, you can look it up on their website right now if you want to confirm on your own.

So in short, right now, you can't rip a UHD BD, while someone knows how, they are keeping it to themselves and as a result there are no publicly acessible tools to do so.  Someday?  Almost certainly.  Today?  No.  Save your money.

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

MakeMKV has no means to decrypt a UHD BD, any statement otherwise is false, you can look it up on their website right now if you want to confirm on your own.

Have they said why exactly?

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

So in short, right now, you can't rip a UHD BD, while someone knows how, they are keeping it to themselves and as a result there are no publicly acessible tools to do so.  Someday?  Almost certainly.  Today?  No.  Save your money.

3 hours ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Have they said why exactly?

Because it's encrypted.  Why else?  UHD BD uses AACS 2.0, it's a different encryption scheme that Blu-Rays AACS, so it can't rip them without knowing how to defeat the encryption scheme.  And as I said, apparently someone found a way but they aren't sharing, my guess would be that how they're doing it could be easily corrected so they don't want the info out in the wild.

• 3 months later...
On 2017/7/14 at 1:19 PM, AshleyAshes said:

It's a crock, there's currently no publicly known way to rip a UHD BD yet.  SOMEONE knows, in the last couple of months a few true UHD BD Remux's, even with their full HDR data intact, have been turning up on torrent sites, but HOW these discs are getting ripped is not known and not publicly accessible.  MakeMKV has no means to decrypt a UHD BD, any statement otherwise is false, you can look it up on their website right now if you want to confirm on your own.

I find one 4K Blu-ray ripper which can remove the 4K Blu-ray copy protection, you can have a try. MakeMKV only support the MKV video formats, so poor.

4 hours ago, janes2642 said:

I find one 4K Blu-ray ripper which can remove the 4K Blu-ray copy protection, you can have a try. MakeMKV only support the MKV video formats, so poor.

I don’t think that article knows what it’s talkking about. MakeMKV can’t rip a 4K blu-ray, as has been mentioned in this thread.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

From the quotes, the computer drive is not that much cheaper than a standalone player, so why not go for the player? You seem uncertain if your PC can play the 4K content anyway. The Xbox One S is pretty decent player as well. That's mostly want I use it for these days. I don't see why your "console alignment" is a factor here. I'm not sure if it supports Atmos at this point or not (initially it was a no), but I don't have such a sound system. That's probably the main deal breaker deal overall if it doesn't.

Bear in mind though that while 4K UHD BD or streaming are presented in 4K, the master may be of lower resolution and you're just buying, say, upscaled 2K content. Granted there probably are some benefits of the higher bitrate and the HDR, but don't expect a jump in detail for every piece of content. http://realorfake4k.com/

On my 55" 4K OLED, I don't really see the different between a 1080p flick and a 4K version. I do notice the color difference due to HDR more so than resolution when comparing side-by-side. I just got new glasses last week, so my visual should be at its best right now too. But your viewing distance is a factor so YMMV. I personally don't think 4K is a big deal and I ain't replacing any BDs for 4K BDs. 4K streams are clearly better than 1080p streams though, but that is more due to the higher bitrate. Services need to bump the bitrate of 1080p content as well and I'd be happy.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:19 PM, AshleyAshes said:

There is DeUHD from Arusoft, but it only supports discs that they've released updates for. However, they update it weekly so if you're looking to build a large collection, it might be worth purchasing. https://torrentfreak.com/new-deuhd-tool-can-rip-uhd-blu-ray-discs-171002/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

There is DeUHD from Arusoft, but it only supports discs that they've released updates for. However, they update it weekly so if you're looking to build a large collection, it might be worth purchasing. https://torrentfreak.com/new-deuhd-tool-can-rip-uhd-blu-ray-discs-171002/

This wasn't available when I made the post that you quoted.

More over, that seems like an entirely foolish purchase.  What ever method they are using to defeat AACS 2.0 will made it out in the wild one way or another and be freely available in simple tools, much like MakeMKV.  When the program costs €199 and you have no idea if there will eventually be a way to block their method for working around AACS 2.0 and render their software useless for future discs, it's silly.

Shows none of you guys surf on the naughty side of the web. Theres a ripper which will take of the security and give you full access to the files. But i think im breaking rules if i post it on here.

8 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Shows none of you guys surf on the naughty side of the web. Theres a ripper which will take of the security and give you full access to the files. But i think im breaking rules if i post it on here.

No there isn't. AACS 2.0 hasn't been properly cracked yet.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

12 hours ago, sazrocks said:

No there isn't. AACS 2.0 hasn't been properly cracked yet.

Just google AACS 2.0 and see how wrong you are.

heres a collection of random letters D E U H D. maybe if i put them into a search engine something will come up.

4 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

heres a collection of random letters D E U H D. maybe if i put them into a search engine something will come up.

5 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Why are you repeating things already discussed in this thread and acting like no one's brought them up yet?

Like, really, I have older posts in this thread discussing how UHD BDs have been ripped by then unknown means.  More recent posts discuss the rather expensive DeUHD application.  So what are you accomplishing by repeating those with a tone as if no one else has mentioned them yet?  You did read the posts in this thread, right?

8 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

7 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Oh really? Then why is there a list of supported movies? https://www.deuhd.ru/4k_uhd_info.html

Is almost as if... they have to, like, obtain a key on a per movie basis since they haven't found a way to properly break the encryption... hmmmmm

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

24 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Oh really? Then why is there a list of supported movies? https://www.deuhd.ru/4k_uhd_info.html

Is almost as if... they have to, like, obtain a key on a per movie basis since they haven't found a way to properly break the encryption... hmmmmm

This is actually also true for AACS 1.0.  A lot of people don't realize it but AACS was never 'cracked'.  ...AACS suffered from keys leaking from a huge range of sources like a sive.  Programs like MakeMKV and others for example still need regular updates to be updated for newer discs that use different sets of keys. 

Of course, who needs to find a way to break into an unbreakable safe when people keep finding post-it notes with the combinations written down, right? 

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

This is actually also true for AACS 1.0.  A lot of people don't realize it but AACS was never 'cracked'.  ...AACS suffered from keys leaking from a huge range of sources like a sive.  Programs like MakeMKV and others for example still need regular updates to be updated for newer discs that use different sets of keys. 

Of course, who needs to find a way to break into an unbreakable safe when people keep finding post-it notes with the combinations written down, right? 

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is slightly different. As far s I can tell, AACS used the same key across all discs, and that key was simply changed several times as each one was compromised. In contrast, AACS 2.0 seemingly uses individual keys for each movie, thus making widespread cracking more difficult.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Just now, sazrocks said:

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is slightly different. As far s I can tell, AACS used the same key across all discs, and that key was simply changed several times as each one was compromised. In contrast, AACS 2.0 seemingly uses individual keys for each movie, thus making widespread cracking more difficult.

For sure AACS 2.0 uses a better implementation to try and avoid how compromised keys allowed huge swaths of discs for 1.0.  But there are sub-versions of AACS 1.0 for which sets of keys are being used for newer discs, you can see it in the MakeMKV changelogs.

It'll be interesting to see how things evolve with UHD discs.  But right now decoding options are limited and, well, frankly, the idea of PAYING around $265 USD for DeUHD to decrypt your own discs is... Kinda a laughable proposition. :P

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

For sure AACS 2.0 uses a better implementation to try and avoid how compromised keys allowed huge swaths of discs for 1.0.  But there are sub-versions of AACS 1.0 for which sets of keys are being used for newer discs, you can see it in the MakeMKV changelogs.

It'll be interesting to see how things evolve with UHD discs.  But right now decoding options are limited and, well, frankly, the idea of PAYING around $265 USD for DeUHD to decrypt your own discs is... Kinda a laughable proposition. :P

Pretty sure MakeMKV will have the functionality added to decrypt 4k blu-rays when provided with a key in the next update. Dont have a link right now, but I think I remember seeing a dev say so on their forums.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Just now, sazrocks said:

Pretty sure MakeMKV will have the functionality added to decrypt 4k blu-rays when provided with a key in the next update. Dont have a link right now, but I think I remember seeing a dev say so on their forums.

I look forward to it if it works out that way.  And if so, that's why PAYING for DeUHD is kinda crazy.  Any decryption technique once figured out was not going to stay a secret forever.

10 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

This describes DVD, or rather, CSS.

AACS 1.0 allows for encryption keys to be updated, with new movies using the updated keys. As the encryption is based on AES, this particular protection hasn't been truly cracked and relies on leaks of keys to decrypt new Blu Rays. 

I suspect AACS 2.0 isn't too far different from the 1.0, but rather focuses on protection of the private keys.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Actually it looks like you're a bit off.

Few points on the subject:
- Next version of MakeMKV will have support for (decrypted) UHD discs, both for h.265 and bd-java (you will get title names on la la land for example). Its already done, just waiting for the next release.
- AACS 2.0 is not yet cracked "generically" as far as I know. There was always a way to extract a per-disc volume key from a player. To date about dozen such keys are extracted but not released publicly.
- DEUHD is a client app that downloads such known key from a server for $200
- MakeMKV can accept these keys (even as of now), should they become public knowledge.

Looks like MakeMKV won't decrypt things but can extract MKVs from unencrypted discs but it seems that once keys are in a list, MakeMKV could use those particular keys.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017/7/14 at 1:19 PM, AshleyAshes said:

You can convert the DVD or Blu-ray to H.265 video with the perfect DVD Ripper. It's easy to do.

4 hours ago, janes2642 said:

You can convert the DVD or Blu-ray to H.265 video with the perfect DVD Ripper. It's easy to do.

Blu-ray =/= UHD Blu-ray.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

• 2 weeks later...