No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

I would love that youre trying to focus more on other content! Except... I also would like the unboxings though, but ONLY for like really important stuff. For example when Nvidia Maxwell comes out... GTX800 series.. I would love an unboxing on the GTX880... then review, benchmarks etc. Other important unboxings, cases.. consumers really need to see the in's and out's of cases. That's what I think though.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

Yeah, as long as we still get the benchmarks and know what important computer stuff (Top of the line GPU, processors ect.) is coming out I am good for that. 

You could make a unboxing/review/benchmark combo video but put the unboxing at the end or something. I enjoy the unboxing :(

show the unboxing WITH the demo's and all the other test. Even though the video will be published in a later time, people still want to see unboxings and know what they are going to expect when they get it for themselves :)

I subbed your channel because of your video card unboxings, I loved it VERY MUCH.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

Well, I believe that you could make the unboxings short and sweet just so we know what exactly we'll be getting in the box.

But other than that, I'm supportive of anything you do because I just love the way you guys go about business.

Maybe with the reviews do a very quick (Say, 2 minutes) unboxing of said product, then Proceed with your review.

That's just my opinion. :D

Hope you see this  :rolleyes:

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

I don't mind seeing no unboxings, as long as you get more reviews of products that are worth it. I mean, I'm subbed to your channel for like 3 years and there were stuff that you said you were going to take an in-depth look and review that you didn't, i guess because the unboxings took you so long.

So, i don't mind no unboxings, but i would like to see MUCH more reviews of products. And more WAN Shows, if possible. I can't always catch the friday show =(

I'm far more interested in more detailed review videos, build guides, and Tech Quickie videos than I am unboxings.  I would personally be more interested in videos that were somewhere between the length of your current unboxings and OCD3D TV's videos.  OC3D goes upwards of 45min to review a motherboard, and I enjoy that, but I'd like to also have somewhere to watch a video that was somewhere in the 15-20 minute range that covered products that OC3D doesn't cover.  Just my two cents, I'll continue watching LTT either way!

I'd prefer you keep the unboxings.  They are generally really good quick overviews which are nice to have.  I certainly wouldn't mind if you did less of them, but certainly don't stop doing them completely.

If you're not sure what to do unboxings of vs other videos, I am sure you could post a thread of what you have and let us decide what you unbox.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I think you should do a show at the end of the week to cover the product that you would have covered these product that you would have covered with the unboxing's the unboxing part is ok but I want to know your opinion.

I really like watching unboxing videos and I would hate to see them go :(

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Well if you imply more demos of the product itself, more benchmarks, comparisons, and quality tests of it into the video, then I'm for it.

I argree with @Bluejay0. Who cares whats in the box. Its always just the piece of hardware, letters that no one sees and an outdated disc. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

really unboxings are almost pointless now, say for a computer case for example, they all come with pretty much the same thing, HDD sleds, cable ties, its almost industry standard.  So I say go for it, i prefer the reviews anyways, because if you're going to buy the product, you're going to know what comes with it anyways.

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

I personally see the unboxings as the bread and butter of LinusTechTips.  The occasional video card roundup or product demo/review or build guide is a nice little treat, but the unboxings are what we can count on seeing every day.

I wouldn't say ditching unboxings is totally a bad thing, but it certainly would dramatically alter the foundation of your channel.  Whether you feel prepared for such a change is up to you I suppose.

EDIT: A much less dramatic solution would be doing away with certain types of unboxings.  We can all agree that unboxings of CPUs and LED strips are utterly useless, but chassis unboxings are extremely useful so prospective buyers can see what they're getting.  I'd say keep unboxing products that aren't just like every other product in their respective categories.  Whereas for things like fans, GPUs, and so on, roundups are more than sufficient.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Linus, I'd like to see more emphasis and video length on the nitty-gritty specs and tests of the product than watching you take it out of the box.  I can "unbox" something when I get  it for myself.

Edit: but I will always love the passion you have when you don't like something (R7 240, for example.  That video had me in pieces :P)

Can we compromise? maybe an actual after party for no unboxings Lol

Computers doe

I prefer the reviews over the unboxings, most things have the same things in the box anyways. Daily news show!? Ah man I can't wait! :D

My first reaction was NO! Keep the unboxings! It's why I subscribed to you in the first place. But then I thought about it some. If you're still going to show off all of the same products that would have been unboxed anyways, I'd be okay with getting rid of the unboxings. 

Dell Precision M4700

i7-3470QM, 32GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance, 2 x 128GB Samsung 830 RAID0, AMD FirePro M4000,

Dell E-Port Plus Advanced Dock, 2 x Asus ProArt PA248Q, CMStorm Quick Fire Rapid, Logitech G300 Mouse, Logitech G51 5.1 Speakers

I'm with this guy. 

Oh no no, you gotta keep those unboxing coming. :P It's the whole reason why I subbed to you in the first place all those years ago.

I appreciate that you'd like to branch out, but you can't forget where you started from.

That being said, it's not like I'd unsub if you decide to do that. We all <3 you.

My 2 cents, I really enjoy your unboxing videos, they give a quick and simple into products which can tweak my interest and has in some cases led to my purchase of said product. That said I don't think doing a trial period at the start of 2014, say a month or so where you scrap unboxing videos and focus more on quality content which takes more time to produce, I think that would allow you to get a better look at what the community really wants to see. Regardless as long as you keep making YouTube videos I will be happy. Good luck Linus.

*Edit* Thinking more into it, your review of the Sony Xperia Z1 which you released earlier today was in my opinion fantastic, if you did 5 times less unboxings and focused only on the more "important" products, i.e. high-end hardware then that would be fantastic, your benchmarks are amongst the best on YouTube and for new GPU releases etc you are the first channel I come to for information. 

My Rig: CPU: I7 4770K@4.5Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Hero RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 650w SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27"

It wouldn't drive me away, but your unboxings are my primary news source for new tech. I used to follow several different Youtube channels for that sort of thing, but since you did the best job, and with a style that I really enjoy, I basically rely on your channel alone now.

So I vote "No". I would be very sad to see the unboxings go away.

Completely agree, especially considering how knowledgeable you are. 

Hey, hey, hey, less sarcasm...

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

do unboxings just dont make it detailed on the specs and benchmarks, we just wanna see you open a box =D

I like having goofy unboxings from time to time! Please keep them. Product reviews and everything else are nice and you deliver especially well to get information across. But unboxings goofy or not are always fun to watch and lighten the mood from all the technical aspects of the PC world and to be honest that's what got me hooked to this channel. I can get benchmarks and charts pretty much anywhere on the web but the personal approach you take with most of your videos is really hard to find and very enjoyable.

Please keep your channel the way it is Linus! :) 

DON'T READ THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE

You little rebel.